Former UConn men’s basketball guard Tyrese Martin secures NBA G League Elite Camp invite > NBA Draft Combine invite | The Boneyard

Former UConn men’s basketball guard Tyrese Martin secures NBA G League Elite Camp invite > NBA Draft Combine invite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

-> Former UConn men’s basketball guard Tyrese Martin received an invitation to attend the NBA G League Elite Camp, he told the Courant on Wednesday. The camp, which runs from May 14-17 in Chicago, is an opportunity to showcase skills in front of NBA and G League scouts, coaches and front-office executives. <-

->If Martin performs well at camp, he could be one of the few players selected to participate in the NBA draft combine on May 16-22, also in Chicago. <-

Reaction Score
Aaron Wiggins, Duane Washington, Carlik Jones, and AJ Lawson got invited to the Combine after being left off the initial list thanks to this camp. Wiggins got drafted. Washington got a 2-way, Jones had a camp invite, then signed a couple 10-day NBA contracts, Lawson had a camp invite but didn't stick and played in the G League.

Balša Koprivica didn't get a combine invite, but did get drafted.

Jose Alvarado was at this camp last year (but didn't get a combine invite). He wasn't drafted but then signed a 2-way and before you know it was playing good minutes in the NBA playoffs. Similar story for Javonte Smart (no combine, undrafted, eventual 2-way).

By getting this invite he's got a decent shot at a 2-way contract and an outside shot at getting drafted.

Reaction Score
This was an easy one. Watch the NBA playoffs and what types of players do well. Martin is physical, athletic, can finish and shoot. NBA isn't about what you did, it is about what you can do at the next level. One of the great misconceptions of the NBA is that you have to dominate in college to play in the NBA. It doesn't work like that. NBA is skilled based, not performance based.

Duncan Robinson is the perfect example. He didn't start at Michigan (after D3) but is now starting for a team that is an NBA caliber champion? It's about taking what you do well and exploiting it.

The Kentucky center Oscar Tshiebwe is a perfect example. Absolutely dominates college. He's a fringe first rounder and will return to college.

I wonder if Sanogo is the same thing. What can Sanogo do at NBA level? He's a smallish center with a post game, but not sure he is a rim protector and isn't super athletic. He doesn't shoot past 10 feet and is somewhat inefficient as a post up player. He is going to dominate college next year, but I still think he's going to have to prove he can extend his shooting to play at next level.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This was an easy one. Watch the NBA playoffs and what types of players do well. Martin is physical, athletic, can finish and shoot. NBA isn't about what you did, it is about what you can do at the next level. One of the great misconceptions of the NBA is that you have to dominate in college to play in the NBA. It doesn't work like that. NBA is skilled based, not performance based.

Duncan Robinson is the perfect example. He didn't start at Michigan (after D3) but is now starting for a team that is an NBA caliber champion? It's about taking what you do well and exploiting it.

The Kentucky center Oscar Tshiebwe is a perfect example. Absolutely dominates college. He's a fringe first rounder and will return to college.

I wonder if Sanogo is the same thing. What can Sanogo do at NBA level? He's a smallish center with a post game, but not sure he is a rim protector and isn't super athletic. He doesn't shoot past 10 feet and is somewhat inefficient as a post up player. He is going to dominate college next year, but I still think he's going to have to prove he can extend his shooting to play at next level.
Duncan Robinson is a mystery to me - yeah he can shoot but not much else, don't know why Miami places such a premium on this guy. Martin maybe doesn't have the consistency of Robinson at the 3 shot but is a better overall player.
Sanogo won't play in the NBA until he develops a midrange game and handle because he is a NBA 4.
I'm happy for Martin and wish him well

Reaction Score
Some guys like Robinson create real gravity with defenses. Martin may have more all-round positives in his game but every second Robinson is on the court defenses shade towards him and the effect is dramatic for everyone else he plays with.

Reaction Score

Tyres plays better at a faster pace than Danny likes. I think that’s part of the reason he’s doing well post UConn. His best ball is getting up and down the court on the wing.

Poe

Reaction Score
40% three point shooters are a valuable commodity. Good luck to Tyrese.
And he does several other things well on top of that, so definitely not a one dimensional player!

Reaction Score
First and foremost, I’m happy for Martin. He was such a tough and productive player who was a huge reason why we were a legitimate top-25 team again.

This also could be a nice selling point for future recruits. You have to give Hurley credit for identifying his talent out of high school, and then helping him develop from a solid A-10 player into a frontline Big East player and legitimate NBA prospect.

Reaction Score
Some guys like Robinson create real gravity with defenses. Martin may have more all-round positives in his game but every second Robinson is on the court defenses shade towards him and the effect is dramatic for everyone else he plays with.
I am gonna steal your line about gravity. That is the perfect way to describe it.

The pressure he puts on defenses in suffocating. You can’t leave him alone. And he never stops moving. Just an absolutely impossible player to deal with on the floor. Causes nightmares for coaches.

As far as Sanogo. He is an nba 5. If he can show an ability to defend the perimeter and shoot 3s, then He can maybe play the 4, but I just can’t see him guarding modern nba 4s.

Sanogo has long arms and a wide body and is about 6-8/6-9. He needs to be quicker and more active defensively as well as able to pass and shoot.

Grant Williams missed the first 29 3-pointers of his career with the Celtics as a rookie. Look at him now. Gotta put in the work.

All I know is Sanogo is going to kill it next year. He just needs to become better defensively moving his feet and switching and uplift g physicality. On offense, has to pass and shoot at a distance.

I guess question is if Sanogo is bouncy enough like Clint Capela or Robert Williams. Can he play as a screen center and rim runner?

Reaction Score
I am gonna steal your line about gravity. That is the perfect way to describe it.

The pressure he puts on defenses in suffocating. You can’t leave him alone. And he never stops moving. Just an absolutely impossible player to deal with on the floor. Causes nightmares for coaches.

As far as Sanogo. He is an nba 5. If he can show an ability to defend the perimeter and shoot 3s, then He can maybe play the 4, but I just can’t see him guarding modern nba 4s.

Sanogo has long arms and a wide body and is about 6-8/6-9. He needs to be quicker and more active defensively as well as able to pass and shoot.

Grant Williams missed the first 29 3-pointers of his career with the Celtics as a rookie. Look at him now. Gotta put in the work.

All I know is Sanogo is going to kill it next year. He just needs to become better defensively moving his feet and switching and uplift g physicality. On offense, has to pass and shoot at a distance.

I guess question is if Sanogo is bouncy enough like Clint Capela or Robert Williams. Can he play as a screen center and rim runner?
The areas of improvement opportunities for Adama are good and fair observations.

Chief could write a chapter on the differences between basic switching and Hurley’s high hedge. I will spare people that, but most of Adama’s fouls came being over aggressive doubling a guard 25 feet from the basket or retreating to belatedly cover his man rushing back to the paint. The high hedge thing is a mid D-1 thing where you have interchangeabl 6-5 guys but no true quality 6-9 and up guys. Donovan won’t succeed in it either.
I was always taugh if you trap do so in the corners, using the out of bounds as an additional defender full or half court. Doing it on top if the key is a disaster.

Reaction Score
You might say Tyrese is the best success story under Hurley.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Monday's last leg of the drive from Louisville back to New Haven took me through Allentown. I had no time to hop off I-78 for random explorations, but it definitely brought a smile to my face to think of it as Tyrese Martin's hometown.

Wishing the best for him.

Reaction Score
Monday's last leg of the drive from Louisville back to New Haven took me through Allentown. I had no time to hop off I-78 for random explorations, but it definitely brought a smile to my face to think of it as Tyrese Martin's hometown.

Wishing the best for him.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score

One of the reasons Sanogo stands out is his work ethic and desire to improve. That can carry someone a long way. Let's hope our coaches can continue to help him develop so he is "NBA ready" at the end of his college career. No doubt in my mind he will put in the work.

Reaction Score
I always thought of Tyrese as a less athletic Justin Anderson. Strong, tough, athletic who's pretty much a 3+D archetype

Reaction Score

Tyrese at #45

45 is second round potential. Good for tyrese. There are 32 first rounders. Then about 2-5 players who dropped. After that it becomes signability, foreign stash, value. You want to be drafted in the the 30s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom