Forever Seats? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Forever Seats?

Reaction Score
I've had season tickets at both places for the past 5 years and I get why it's frustrating, but the reality is that absolutely nobody expected us to have won 2 national championships by 2024. Not only is there substantially more demand for tickets now, but also the university is being showcased on the national stage a lot more, and the reality is we've all been begging for renovations to both locations for years.

It was dumb to use the word forever for sure, but they announced "forever seats" using a picture of Alterique Gilbert. It's not like all these changes happened instantly

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
You accused me of whining and outrage, I'm laughing still

It's not rocket science

Reaction Score
Who do I need to donate to and how much to keep my seats at both venues? Upper level at both.

Reaction Score
I've had season tickets at both places for the past 5 years and I get why it's frustrating, but the reality is that absolutely nobody expected us to have won 2 national championships by 2024. Not only is there substantially more demand for tickets now, but also the university is being showcased on the national stage a lot more, and the reality is we've all been begging for renovations to both locations for years.

It was dumb to use the word forever for sure, but they announced "forever seats" using a picture of Alterique Gilbert. It's not like all these changes happened instantly
From a quick search of my email, I have Forever Seats messaging from the university as recently as summer of 2023 — after the first of the back-to-back titles. It wasn’t some one-time thing in 2019. The sleaziest part of this all is really the way that the athletic department used the forever seats promise as part of a plea to their UConn “family” to keep donations when there was no product to offer during the pandemic season.

And I am also not sure “Oh, well, they only meant the seats were yours forever if the program continued to stink” is the strongest case for this being anything but having sold fans a lie. The point of forever seats when they were introduced was that you were told that if you stuck around when the program was down, you would always have the opportunity to keep them if the program returned to the top.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From a quick search of my email, I have Forever Seats messaging from the university as recently as summer of 2023 — after the first of the back-to-back titles. It wasn’t some one-time thing in 2019. The sleaziest part of this all is really the way that the athletic department used the forever seats promise as part of a plea to their UConn “family” to keep donations when there was no product to offer during the pandemic season.

And I am also not sure “Oh, well, they only meant the seats were yours forever if the program continued to stink” is the strongest case for this being anything but having sold fans a lie. The point of forever seats when they were introduced was that you were told that if you stuck around when the program was down, you would always have the opportunity to keep them if the program returned to the top.

It was never realistic to call them “forever seats” and I get being mad or disappointed by that. Personally, I just assumed it was a marketing gimmick since I’ve pretty much never heard of a product that’s guaranteed to be the same forever. I guess I’ve also moved my seat forward in the same pricing tier 3 times since I got my seat so maybe that’s why I’m not real attached to the idea of forever seats.

Legitimately, how can they renovate Gampel without impacting any of the seats though? There’s already barely space to sit as is and people have been complaining about the bathroom situation, among other things, as long as I can remember.

Reaction Score
It was never realistic to call them “forever seats” and I get being mad or disappointed by that. Personally, I just assumed it was a marketing gimmick since I’ve pretty much never heard of a product that’s guaranteed to be the same forever. I guess I’ve also moved my seat forward in the same pricing tier 3 times since I got my seat so maybe that’s why I’m not real attached to the idea of forever seats.

Legitimately, how can they renovate Gampel without impacting any of the seats though? There’s already barely space to sit as is and people have been complaining about the bathroom situation, among other things, as long as I can remember.
But they could just offered the comparable seats after the renovation. To reseat everyone is crazy.

Also UConn should have waited or sent out the full information on what the renovations are

Reaction Score
But they could just offered the comparable seats after the renovation. To reseat everyone is crazy.

Also UConn should have waited or sent out the full information on what the renovations are
No doubt the communication is poor and I'm definitely not arguing that this is a good thing or anything, I'm just not that surprised. I agree that announcing a mandatory reseating with no information about whether the venue will be adding/losing seats seems bad.

I personally thought the pricing changes in spring 2022 were far more egregious than this. My season tickets (2x at Gampel, 2x at XL) were $436.90 for 2021-22 including donation, and the following year, the same tickets were $1420. As long as they aren't taking people's seats and doing a humongous price hike at the same time, it's hard to envision this being worse for the average season ticket holder than that was.

Reaction Score
Why are we thinking small (getting rid of seats) instead of thinking big (expanding for more seats)?

Reaction Score
There could have been some attempt to soothe the STHs affected by providing at least a promise (lol) of an effort to supply somewhat similar seating. For example. we cherish our 'forever' :( aisle seats. Have no idea if we'll be able to obtain aisle seats again, never mind in the same area or quality of distance/view.

Also, perhaps an apology for walking back the 'forever seats' terminology would have been in order. They acted like it never happened.

I know. Wahhhhh.

Reaction Score
There could have been some attempt to soothe the STHs affected by providing at least a promise (lol) of an effort to supply somewhat similar seating. For example. we cherish our 'forever' :( aisle seats. Have no idea if we'll be able to obtain aisle seats again, never mind in the same area or quality of distance/view.

Also, perhaps an apology for walking back the 'forever seats' terminology would have been in order. They acted like it never happened.

I know. Wahhhhh.
This times 100. The lack of information. The refusal to even acknowledge that this is a departure from what season-ticket holders have been told. The obvious money grab in the announcement. The “We do not care about you” tone of it all. Even if many donors end up in similar seats in the end, the messaging was a masterclass in how to piss off your fan base when you really don’t need to.

You have to understand that AD David Benedict is too busy for an explanation though. Now that the football team is 4-2, he’s in the midst of crafting an email to get in on the ground floor and lock in your forever seats at the Rent now to send to the same group of donors he just ticked off.

Last edited:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
This times 100. The lack of information. The refusal to even acknowledge that this is a departure from what season-ticket holders have been told. The obvious money grab in the announcement. The “We do not care about you” tone of it all. Even if many donors end up in similar seats in the end, the messaging was a masterclass in how to piss off your fan base when you really don’t need to.

You have to understand that AD David Benedict is too busy for an explanation though. Now that the football team is 4-2, he’s in the midst of crafting an email to get in on the ground floor and lock in your forever seats at the Rent now to send to the same group of donors he just ticked off.
Don’t worry you could have been tricked into buying additional football tickets, just to buy more basketball tickets, in addition to the football season tickets you already have.

Luckily I have a big crew going this weekend to the Wake game. However, when AD DB dropped a BOGO offer on football tickets the day after that was hilariously bad marketing. He’s going scorched earth policy just trying to sell $20 football tickets.

If he wanted $20 that bad he should’ve offered triple donor points for them. Would aid to the basketball money grab ways he has resorted to.

Reaction Score
cant wait for the atmosphere complaints once the money infiltrates' both lower levels

Reaction Score
Don’t worry you could have been tricked into buying additional football tickets, just to buy more basketball tickets, in addition to the football season tickets you already have.

Luckily I have a big crew going this weekend to the Wake game. However, when AD DB dropped a BOGO offer on football tickets the day after that was hilariously bad marketing. He’s going scorched earth policy just trying to sell $20 football tickets.

If he wanted $20 that bad he should’ve offered triple donor points for them. Would aid to the basketball money grab ways he has resorted to.
You cannot make this stuff up …
IMG_4350.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

Then they're going to expand the Rent, and take back those forever seats

Again, I fully expected the donations for "forever seats" to increase significantly, a simple point many people are still overlooking for some reason.

What I didn't expect is for them to reseat the entire building. Not sure why people don't comprehend the difference.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I don't get it, what's wrong with his letter?
My guess is Jim Mora is actually naive enough to think fans of the basketball program would also be in favor of the football program having success.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
My guess is Jim Mora is actually naive enough to think fans of the basketball program would also be in favor of the football program having success.

Where does he mention the bb team?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Where does he mention the bb team?
He doesn't.

Personally I liked the email (but I've been
a football season ticket holder from the day they opened the Rent and I don't view football as a detriment to the basketball program) but my interpretation of KT's knocking the email was that the audience it was sent to included some UConn fans who would prefer to see the program fail.

My apologies if I misinterpreted.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
You cannot make this stuff up … View attachment 104201
He doesn't.

Personally I liked the email (but I've been
a football season ticket holder from the day they opened the Rent and I don't view football as a detriment to the basketball program) but my interpretation of KT's knocking the email was that the audience it was sent to included some UConn fans who would prefer to see the program fail.

My apologies if I misinterpreted.
I think an ulterior motive to get as many fans there as possible is: allocate multiple tickets to same person so on paper we “sell out.”

Reaction Score
After 40 plus years we gave up our season tickets because they were getting unreal in cost and AD David Benedict didn't care to hear about longevity and loyalty.
I've discovered that I now have the best seat in the arena sitting at home in front of the large screen TV and admire all the ink on these kids arms and legs. Kept my soccer season tickets and shoot the baseball team extra donations on a yearly basis.
Maybe, just maybe, I'll restart the football season tickets next year.
Ditto for me. Had season tickets close to 26 years. Now only go to games I want to see and likewise make it out to support Penders, hockey and some of the other sports as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom