Forcing UConn to Portland WHY?????? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Forcing UConn to Portland WHY??????

Reaction Score
NCAA does not want Uconn to make FF.
Oregon has very tall players and they have the best chance to beat Uconn.
That is why Uconn will be sent to Portland.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
So LVille has 3 losses in the last 4 weeks and they go to FT Wayne at a 2 seed??????? No way maybe a 3 seed but not a 2 seed. So it would be MD UConn LVille. The rules keep changing on seedings. It will be interesting to see the seedings come Monday. Someone mentioned in a post above that UConn played Rutgers and ND in the ole days. That would be interesting to find out. Also in the ole days 3 losses in the last month would drop you in the seedings. If thats not the case then why have the NCAA tournament determine where anybody goes and who is in and who is out. Its already predetermined.

As far as UConn getting seeded close to home in the past. At $37 a ticket they sell out and $20 for parking and they sell out quick. I remember the ole days when Tenn was always close to home. Being number 1 in the country you should be close to home. UConn is a money maker and a huge draw close to home. The NCAA needs UConn close to home because UConn puts fannys in the seats.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I think that Maryland and Oregon among others would dispute that.
I will bet you that Oregon would rather face MD then UConn right now. IMO UConn is playing better then MD LVille and Stanford right now. Better offense better defense and has had 4,5,6 scorers in double figures. If you want to bring up how tuff teams are fine but how many times has MD LVille and Stanford had 5-6 players in double figures in the past 2 weeks?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I actually think Cream et al have it wrong ... As of the last reveal the committee has 5 Pac12 teams hosting - 1 #1 seed, 2 #2 seeds and 2# 4 seeds which means they have to have one potential top16 Pac12 match up occuring in the elite 8 game. That means they need to double up in a region with either a #1 and a #2/3 seed, or a #2/3 seed with a #4 seed so why send 4 Pac12 teams over the Rockies instead of sending UCLA or Stanford to Portland as the 2 seed?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I know bracketology isn’t the be all end all, but Portland as it is today is the easiest in my opinion. Maybe a trap game in Gonzaga and the game against Oregon. Portland may be a blessing in disguise.

Beware of Arkansas
Very tough team, tough matchup
Playing very well a ce moment...
Beat Miss. St, UTenn, Kentucky

Not an easy out, projected to be our second game...
Watch out!

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
When has UCONN ever been screwed by seeding? Just last year yall got to play Louisville in front of a home crowd as a 2 seed. Same thing happened when they were 2 seeds in 2004 and 2006 when UCONN had homecourt through regionals and #1 seeds were burdened with playing in a road atmosphere. Almost every year the east regional site is within a 2 hour drive of Storrs. I get that people dont want to go to Portland and it may not work out in UCONN's favor this year but historically predetermined sites have helped the Huskies far more than it has hurt them.
The correct use of the SCurve puts the lowest 1 seed against the top 2 seed. It was correct last year and if done correctly this year would put them in Fort Wayne.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure Krispy is right to be honest. He was sure wrong about a lot last year. I guess we will find out.

Okay, nobody shoot, but what if UConn loses tonight? Still a 2 seed?

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
So, after some research, here is my understanding. First, the NCAA pays for all travel for teams in the tourney. Th antiquated theory is that the cost will cause less teams to participate if they had to pay for it themselves. So since they are paying, they try to minimize costs.
Second, if you can drive there (within 350 miles) the cost is less to the NCAA (bus versus plane) so we are going to put you where you can drive. So Louisville and NC State if still both two seeds go to Ft Wayne and Greenville respectively.
Third, the rule against two teams from the same conference being the 1 and 2 seeds in the same region comes into play. Hence, Stanford has to travel. Line this all up and we go to Portland unless there is a change in Louisville as a 2 seed. Charlie Creme( "ABC Charlie"- Anybody But Connecticut Charlie) doesn't think anything changed yesterday. Look at it this way, we would have to beat Oregon anyway to win it all. I also think, because I am a cynic when it comes to the NCAA, that they would like a UCONN v. Oregon regional final for TV ratings.
The rule is for early rounds not regional finals. The should follow the SCurve. Allergen bad lose s matter UConn had how many? Watched a lot of games this year the good teams are only a few, except for maybe Maryland only one in the Big 10.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I think that Maryland and Oregon among others would dispute that.
Please correct me if I'm wrong. But UConn is the ONLY team to play all three top teams! ( Baylor, South Carolina, Oregon.) Now, they may be the only team that has to face all three in order to earn a National Championship.

Seems fair to me. NOT!

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
This is from the NCAA
Each of the first four teams selected from a conference shall be placed in different regions if they are seeded on the first four lines.

Teams from the same conference shall not meet prior to the regional final if they played each other three or more times during the regular season and conference tournament.

Teams from the same conference shall not meet prior to the regional semifinals if they played each other twice during the regular season and conference tournament.

Teams from the same conference may play each other as early as the second round if they played no more than once during the regular season and conference tournament.

Any principle can be relaxed if two or more teams from the same conference are among the last four at-large seeded teams participating in the First Four.

Reaction Score
This is from the NCAA
Each of the first four teams selected from a conference shall be placed in different regions if they are seeded on the first four lines.

Teams from the same conference shall not meet prior to the regional final if they played each other three or more times during the regular season and conference tournament.

Teams from the same conference shall not meet prior to the regional semifinals if they played each other twice during the regular season and conference tournament.

Teams from the same conference may play each other as early as the second round if they played no more than once during the regular season and conference tournament.

Any principle can be relaxed if two or more teams from the same conference are among the last four at-large seeded teams participating in the First Four.
They try but often don’t strictly follow those guidelines.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
I will bet you that Oregon would rather face MD then UConn right now. IMO UConn is playing better then MD LVille and Stanford right now. Better offense better defense and has had 4,5,6 scorers in double figures. If you want to bring up how tuff teams are fine but how many times has MD LVille and Stanford had 5-6 players in double figures in the past 2 weeks?

I don't think Graves really cares what team Oregon plays, although I, personally, would very much prefer to have UCONN in another bracket. But I also think the "5-6 players in double figures" is a red herring. Limiting things to the Pac12 only, do you really think that would be the case if UCONN had faced Stanford's schedule for the final weeks of the season and postseason (Oregon x2, Oregon State x2, the Arizona schools on the road, UCLA)? All of those schools are imo better--and, with one possible exception, far better--than anything the AAC has to offer.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I don't think Graves really cares what team Oregon plays, although I, personally, would very much prefer to have UCONN in another bracket. But I also think the "5-6 players in double figures" is a red herring. Limiting things to the Pac12 only, do you really think that would be the case if UCONN had faced Stanford's schedule for the final weeks of the season and postseason (Oregon x2, Oregon State x2, the Arizona schools on the road, UCLA)? All of those schools are imo better--and, with one possible exception, far better--than anything the AAC has to offer.
The only teams better then UConn right now is Oregon and SC and thats right now. UConn continues to improve and I think UConn would give Oregon and SC a really good game. JMO

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The correct use of the SCurve puts the lowest 1 seed against the top 2 seed. It was correct last year and if done correctly this year would put them in Fort Wayne.
It would've put UCONN in Portland with Mississippi State and shipped Oregon or Stanford out to Albany.

Reaction Score
Well, I prefer to not worry about where we are going but to play well against any opponent we play and leave it on the court. This team is playing better than a month ago and we will not be embarrassed again against anyone.

But the Huskies have gained traction now, his team has turned a corner at the most critical time, and Auriemma actually had a little twinkle in his eye and a grin on his face. Who knows what the coming weeks hold, but anyone watching has to feel good about the way UConn will actually represent itself.
Yes. You have to be thrilled with Anna and Aubreys contributions of late. Even the free throw shooting had gotten much better. It will be interesting to see how they play against the top three again, but if we are in Portland region it would be the worst case scenario because I think Oregon is the next team right now. Doesn’t mean in a one game showdown they can’t be beat but they are too proficient on offense.

Reaction Score
I agree with the OP, but I have come to the realization that it doesn’t really matter where UConn ends up. No one wants The Huskies in their bracket. UConn will beat whoever they face to get back to a 13th straight FF.
I agree with this. Let's face it, right now UConn is clearly the forth of fifth best team in the country based on eye test if not hard stats. And the Ducks are no lower than number two. Given all the hype of Oregon and Sabrina as this year's anointed champions, I believe the committee will ultimately come to the realization that it would be deeply unfair to the Ducks and "bad for the game" to have to face the Huskies in Portland, given that the outcome would likely be no better than a coin toss.

So in the end I think they'll decide to move Uconn away from Portland more based on the negative impact it could have on the Ducks, versus say any desire to keep UConn out of another Final Four. We'll know in a week.

Last edited:

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
The only teams better then UConn right now is Oregon and SC and thats right now. UConn continues to improve and I think UConn would give Oregon and SC a really good game. JMO
South Dakota is better than UConn right now. Last loss was 12/22 at South Carolina by 13 points. UConn lost to SC by 18 points.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The men won a couple of their titles playing out of the West, even as a 1 seed. Is the OP saying it's too tough and not fair for women?

Reaction Score
South Dakota is better than UConn right now. Last loss was 12/22 at South Carolina by 13 points. UConn lost to SC by 18 points.

Not sure if serious.

You must not understand the 0-8 motivation SCar had against UCONN - or lack the simple understanding that, well, . . . it was UCONN.

Reaction Score
Beware of Arkansas
Very tough team, tough matchup
Playing very well a ce moment...
Beat Miss. St, UTenn, Kentucky

Not an easy out, projected to be our second game...
Watch out!
I have watched them albeit twice this year and they did look pretty good. I feel like a team that doesn’t or hasn’t played them much has a tough time beating them. A team like Gonzaga has a better chance because they can shoot really well and they play disciplined sound fundamental basketball and doesn’t beat themselves.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
I agree with the OP, but I have come to the realization that it doesn’t really matter where UConn ends up. No one wants The Huskies in their bracket. UConn will beat whoever they face to get back to a 13th straight FF.

Honest question: You speaking as a Uconn fan or as a WCBB analyst? If it's the latter then I am one happy camper :D

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
There is really no proof of that, since UConn has not beaten ANY team in the top twenty five, other than DePaul, who is fading fast.

But hey, I definitely think UConn should play in Maryland's bracket. That would definitely blow Brenda Freese's mind.

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
There is really no proof of that, since UConn has not beaten ANY team in the top twenty five, other than DePaul, who is fading fast.

But hey, I definitely think UConn should play in Maryland's bracket. That would definitely blow Brenda Freese's mind.
Gotta agree with your statement however right now UConn is playing terrific. I feel when they play their A game nobody can beat them.....unless its a shot at the buzzer. This is a different team then it was back in the beginning of February. We are playing UConn BB and hitting on 4-6 cylinders We will be tuff to beat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom