Forcing UConn to Portland WHY?????? | The Boneyard

Forcing UConn to Portland WHY??????

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Why was it during yesterdays broadcasts that Charlie and some announcers continued to say it doesnt matter UConn to Portland????? Stanford LVille both lost and both have lost more then 2 games over the past month and UConn hasnt. Maryland won and they gave reasons why MD should be in Ft Wayne. Why not UConn? Other teams lost and therefore I beleive it would be fair to rank they in different regions and different seeds because they lost. Thats only fair. UConn is the hottest team in WCBB right now. Over the past month they have looked like a 1 seed and imo with Baylor loosing UConn should be a 1 seed maybe not ahead of Baylor but a 1 seed.

When you look at conferences and their top 3 teams how many are really that good outside the Pac12? Not that much better if at all. Oregon won big, and so did some other teams but some lost to lesser teams......UConn didnt. As poorly as some continue to say UConn has played they havent lost to a lesser team. Think about that and how much better UConn is playing now. IMO UConn is much better then MD Stanford and Lville and I dont think its close...right now not months ago.

The committee will deceide and I hope they take all things into consideration especially the past 3 weeks which in the past has counted heavily. UConn has earned the right to play as a 1 seed over the past month as has MD. I feel from listening to the games yesterday that everybody was making excuses to put UConn in Portland and not giving reasons why UConn should be in Ft Wayne. Maybe its because for the next 2 seasons UConn is close to home and will draw. Well UConn will draw big in Ft Wayne too.

With all the teams that have lost I feel the regions have changed with who goes where. We will see what the committee comes up with on Monday. One last point. Charlie had Tenn in the mix. There are teams in the SEC who have better SOS and RPI then Tenn. Tenn has lost once again to many games and I hear excuses to place them in the NCAAs. That isnt right.

Reaction Score
it is what it is.... we will not be a 1 seed but could be the top 2 seed. This will not change the fact that they will send Louisville to Fort Wayne with Maryland. I would be pleasantly surprised if we were sent to Fort Wayne but I give it a 1% chance

Reaction Score
Unless UConn is 35 - 0 going into the tournament and have beaten every top team in the country, the NCAA will do no favors for UConn whether it comes to seeding or to evaluating transfer playing restrictions.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well, I prefer to not worry about where we are going but to play well against any opponent we play and leave it on the court. This team is playing better than a month ago and we will not be embarrassed again against anyone.

But the Huskies have gained traction now, his team has turned a corner at the most critical time, and Auriemma actually had a little twinkle in his eye and a grin on his face. Who knows what the coming weeks hold, but anyone watching has to feel good about the way UConn will actually represent itself.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Why was it during yesterdays broadcasts that Charlie and some announcers continued to say it doesnt matter UConn to Portland????? Stanford LVille both lost and both have lost more then 2 games over the past month and UConn hasnt. Maryland won and they gave reasons why MD should be in Ft Wayne. Why not UConn? Other teams lost and therefore I beleive it would be fair to rank they in different regions and different seeds because they lost. Thats only fair. UConn is the hottest team in WCBB right now. Over the past month they have looked like a 1 seed and imo with Baylor loosing UConn should be a 1 seed maybe not ahead of Baylor but a 1 seed.

When you look at conferences and their top 3 teams how many are really that good outside the Pac12? Not that much better if at all. Oregon won big, and so did some other teams but some lost to lesser teams......UConn didnt. As poorly as some continue to say UConn has played they havent lost to a lesser team. Think about that and how much better UConn is playing now. IMO UConn is much better then MD Stanford and Lville and I dont think its close...right now not months ago.

The committee will deceide and I hope they take all things into consideration especially the past 3 weeks which in the past has counted heavily. UConn has earned the right to play as a 1 seed over the past month as has MD. I feel from listening to the games yesterday that everybody was making excuses to put UConn in Portland and not giving reasons why UConn should be in Ft Wayne. Maybe its because for the next 2 seasons UConn is close to home and will draw. Well UConn will draw big in Ft Wayne too.

With all the teams that have lost I feel the regions have changed with who goes where. We will see what the committee comes up with on Monday. One last point. Charlie had Tenn in the mix. There are teams in the SEC who have better SOS and RPI then Tenn. Tenn has lost once again to many games and I hear excuses to place them in the NCAAs. That isnt right.

It likely doesnt work out well for the Huskies this year, but just last year UCONN benefitted massively from playing in Albany even though they would've gone to Portland if the S-curve held true.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Unless UConn is 35 - 0 going into the tournament and have beaten every top team in the country, the NCAA will do no favors for UConn whether it comes to seeding or to evaluating transfer playing restrictions.

When has UCONN ever been screwed by seeding? Just last year yall got to play Louisville in front of a home crowd as a 2 seed. Same thing happened when they were 2 seeds in 2004 and 2006 when UCONN had homecourt through regionals and #1 seeds were burdened with playing in a road atmosphere. Almost every year the east regional site is within a 2 hour drive of Storrs. I get that people dont want to go to Portland and it may not work out in UCONN's favor this year but historically predetermined sites have helped the Huskies far more than it has hurt them.

Reaction Score
If people listened to the explanation they would understand why UCONN is going out West. I did not say they would agree with it... but they would understand the rationale.
1.) if a team can drive there they try to make that happen. So Maryland and Louisville get Fort Wayne. UCONN is too far away from Fort Wayne that they would not be able to bus there. So in that case all four locations are open to UCONN.
2.) They do not want to put teams from the same conference in the same region if they can help it. So Oregon has too many other teams that they would have to go up against from their conference. Again... that is what they say but it is BS. UCONN played ND and Rutgers when they were in our conference in the regional....

If anything UCONN should go to Texas... where is it Dallas? but who knows.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Its the 350 Mile Rule. Louisville and NC State if they get #2 Seeds, they go to Ft Wayne and Greenville. That leaves Stanford and UConn for Dallas or Portland. There is an exception that if there are 5 teams from the same conference hosting then two teams from the same conference are in the same region. What I don't understand is why Stanford can't be sent to Portland. However that's what I've heard experts say. If that's accurate, then the only place for UConn is Portland and Dallas for Stanford. Now if Louisville is not a #2 Seed, then UConn would most likely be sent to Fort Wayne. The same would happen to UConn if they were a #3 seed.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
UConn can solve the perceived problem of where to go by LOSING in the first or second game.
Otherwise after years of Albany or Bridgeport as sweet locations there is too much crying about UConn going to Portland vs Indiana. Just show up and play ball.

Reaction Score
When has UCONN ever been screwed by seeding? Just last year yall got to play Louisville in front of a home crowd as a 2 seed. Same thing happened when they were 2 seeds in 2004 and 2006 when UCONN had homecourt through regionals and #1 seeds were burdened with playing in a road atmosphere. Almost every year the east regional site is within a 2 hour drive of Storrs. I get that people dont want to go to Portland and it may not work out in UCONN's favor this year but historically predetermined sites have helped the Huskies far more than it has hurt them.
Blame the NCAA... they want a full arena...

Reaction Score

That's just silly.

Reaction Score
when you lose to the three top teams in the country by 15 points each and play a really weak in conference schedule this is the result..............the pressure of high expectations is off UConn so maybe this year's team will surprise us and themselves...........

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
IF Notre Dame and CAL had their usual good year and UConn won both games, then UConn might get serious consideration for a #1 Seed. UConn as a #2 Seed is the best they should get with the years that So Carolina, Baylor, Oregon and Maryland have had and UConn lost to three of the #1 Seeds. If UConn had beaten Baylor and with their recent loss, then UConn would have had a case to replace Baylor as a #1 Seed. Can't deny Maryland with them winning the Big Ten Championship and only four losses.

Reaction Score
As Auriemma has said, just tell me where and when. If you are afraid of anyone, IMO, you don't belong at UConn. That does not mean you are always going to win but it does mean you play smart, hard, fearless and free. This team is finally doing that and kudos to the coaches and players.

Reaction Score
At this point, our seeding and where we end up getting sent doesn't matter to me. All I want is #12 this year and I'll ride with our team through whatever path it takes to get there. Championship teams find a way to compete and win regardless of location or venue etc. Geno will prepare our ladies for the challenge.

Reaction Score
of course as more and more sporting events are being cancelled throughout the country due to the coronovirus, the big tournament might be cancelled or perhaps played without spectators................there goes the home team advantage..........

Reaction Score
UConn can solve the perceived problem of where to go by LOSING in the first or second game.
Otherwise after years of Albany or Bridgeport as sweet locations there is too much crying about UConn going to Portland vs Indiana. Just show up and play ball.

That's precisely what Geno said a few weeks ago during his radio show.

Reaction Score
I don't think Oregon wants to play UConn in the regional's. It really doesn't matter who or where, It only matters that we are 1 point better than the team we play.

Reaction Score
So, after some research, here is my understanding. First, the NCAA pays for all travel for teams in the tourney. Th antiquated theory is that the cost will cause less teams to participate if they had to pay for it themselves. So since they are paying, they try to minimize costs.
Second, if you can drive there (within 350 miles) the cost is less to the NCAA (bus versus plane) so we are going to put you where you can drive. So Louisville and NC State if still both two seeds go to Ft Wayne and Greenville respectively.
Third, the rule against two teams from the same conference being the 1 and 2 seeds in the same region comes into play. Hence, Stanford has to travel. Line this all up and we go to Portland unless there is a change in Louisville as a 2 seed. Charlie Creme( "ABC Charlie"- Anybody But Connecticut Charlie) doesn't think anything changed yesterday. Look at it this way, we would have to beat Oregon anyway to win it all. I also think, because I am a cynic when it comes to the NCAA, that they would like a UCONN v. Oregon regional final for TV ratings.

Reaction Score
I know bracketology isn’t the be all end all, but Portland as it is today is the easiest in my opinion. Maybe a trap game in Gonzaga and the game against Oregon. Portland may be a blessing in disguise.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom