For young Mr. Abu: compare TV schedules between UConn and NC State | Page 4 | The Boneyard

For young Mr. Abu: compare TV schedules between UConn and NC State

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You're right - Fox will definitely present a better challenge to ESPN than the bizarre efforts CBS and NBC have put forth. They have a track record of success and they're playing the long game in a way that NBC and CBS have yet to figure out.

In ten years, I'd wager they'll have a very viable sports network. But in 2013, being on Fox Sports will be a little lonely. Perhaps a Georgetown-Nova game will have enough sparkle to encourage the average hoop fan to find out exactly where on the dial FS 1 is, but a Providence or Seton Hall game will be a friends-and-family affair.

One question about Fox - what exactly happened in the meeting where Regis Philbin sounded like a good idea?

My money is now on NBC SN.

Fox has nothing on them.

Reaction Score
You might still have the name , but it really isn't the Big East anymore, and the majority of the US realizes that. UConn. Syracuse, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, and Notre Dame kept the league viable for the last 15 years. Louisville, and Cincinnati came in and helped in the last 9. Your last champion was Villanova in 1985, last team to get to the final game Seton Hall 1989. You should have let the name go, and given yourselves a new name like the AAC did. UConn will be in either the ACC or Big 10 within 2 years, and you still won't be relevant.

Reaction Score
You're right - Fox will definitely present a better challenge to ESPN than the bizarre efforts CBS and NBC have put forth. They have a track record of success and they're playing the long game in a way that NBC and CBS have yet to figure out.

In ten years, I'd wager they'll have a very viable sports network. But in 2013, being on Fox Sports will be a little lonely. Perhaps a Georgetown-Nova game will have enough sparkle to encourage the average hoop fan to find out exactly where on the dial FS 1 is, but a Providence or Seton Hall game will be a friends-and-family affair.

One question about Fox - what exactly happened in the meeting where Regis Philbin sounded like a good idea?

Agree, but like almost all the analysts that I've read thus far, I'm bullish on Fox Sports in the nearer term than that. Further, I'm not sure who you're providers are, but FS1 HD is right in the mix of all the major sports networks on FIOS, right after the ESPNs and NESN for me. FS2 is buried for now, but it will likely occupy the channel right after FS1 HD (Fox Soccer HD). Remember Fox is a media juggernaut, they entered the frey not long ago and they said they had no chance to dent CNN, now they own cable news. With their footprint in nearly every home already, and their ability to push the product on their various media outlets, look out. The've got some pretty good stuff coming that will get mainstream viewership with MLB, UFC, major College Football, the BE basketball, and the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, etc etc. I also think people are hungry for an alternative to ESPN and Sportscenter. Just my opinion, I could be wrong. And I get that UCONN fans are skeptics and think the new BE and FS1 are questionable, just like as a PC fan, I think the AAC is a sad existence and a crappy place for UCONN to be. The new BE was the best and really only play for the basketball only C7 and they doubled their TV money with the FS deal, so it was a no brainer. They had to make a move to survive, for now anyway. We'll see what tomorrow brings with the power football programs saber rattling.

The bottom line is every single Big East game will be on in over 90 million homes from day 1. In today's cable lineup, there are a gazillion options so most networks are fighting to get eyes on them for casual viewers, its up to the BE to put up quality basketball and win NCAA games. They have to earn that respect. But live sports is one of the few things left in advertising that people sit and watch commercials for, which is partially why analysts are bullish on Fox Sports.

Personally I think the NBC and CBS forays into sports channels have been horrible, and most people still associate them with the broadcast channels, not their specialty sports channels.

Reaction Score
You might still have the name , but it really isn't the Big East anymore, and the majority of the US realizes that. UConn. Syracuse, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, and Notre Dame kept the league viable for the last 15 years. Louisville, and Cincinnati came in and helped in the last 9. Your last champion was Villanova in 1985, last team to get to the final game Seton Hall 1989. You should have let the name go, and given yourselves a new name like the AAC did. UConn will be in either the ACC or Big 10 within 2 years, and you still won't be relevant.

Totally disagree, in that they should have "let go of the name". The Brand Name is everything. Years ago BMW and VW were in a bidding war for the Rolls Royce product. In the end VW paid a boatload of money and got the factories, workers, production lines, etc etc. BMW paid pennies on the dollar for the Rolls Royce logo, famous hood ornament, and name. BMW manufactures essentially a new line of cars with the RR logo and name, while VW continued the "legal successor" of Rolls Royce but can't use the brand name.(like the AAC is the legal successor of the old BE). So for pennies on the dollar, BMW started new luxury car line with a historic brand, and most consumers have no clue, nor care. They just want that Rolls Royce.

I won't argue with you that the heavyweights left the Big East, but the brand is still strong, and remains synonymous with strong tradition urban basketball. The metro areas the BE schools occupy are strong and major media centers, Chicago, NYC, DC, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Philly, Providence/Boston and Omaha. I like those locales better than the AAC after Louisville leaves.

Reaction Score
Personally I think the NBC and CBS forays into sports channels have been horrible, and most people still associate them with the broadcast channels, not their specialty sports channels.

You haven't even watched NBC SN.

Reaction Score
Watch it. It's fantastic. It's getting rave reviews.

NBC SN (rebranded multiple times) programming:

NHL
CAA and Ivy League Football
CAA, Ivy, A-10 Basketball
College Hockey
Some Formula One and Nascar
Spillover Olympic coverage

vs

Fox Sports 1 and 2:

MLB
US Open Golf (and other USGA events) -taken over from ESPN and NBC
UFC MMA (exclusive)
Pac 12, Big 12, Conf USA Football
Big East Basketball
FIFA Men's and Women's World Cup Soccer
EUEFA Europa, EUEFA Champions League, CONCACAF Champiopns League Soccer
Formula 1, Nascar racing
Boxing
Horse Racing

I took this last part from the wiki on FS1:

Despite being established well after ESPN and the CBS- and NBC-owned sports networks, Fox Sports 1, even before commencing programming, has been seen as a legitimate and serious competitor to ESPN,[9] in part due to 3 factors:
  • Audience reach - FS1 was expected to reach 90 million households at the time of its launch, most of which through the spot Speed had occupied on cable/satellite channel lineups; by comparison, though that number is under ESPN's total reach (99 million homes), it is also more than the 77.9 million homes NBCSN reached at the beginning of 2013.[10]
  • Brand awareness - Fox heavily promoted FS1's launch through its various TV, online, and social media platforms, including appearances of FS1 talent on existing Fox programming and the online posting of its shows' pre-launch rehearsals.[11]
  • Programming strategy - Fox was aggressive in seeking and securing major content for FS1, employing a strategy to obtain rights to popular sports and leagues that they believed other networks underserved, as well as creating high-profile original shows (see Programming below).[11]

If I were betting, I'd bet FS1 and FS2 make do much better over the next decade than NBC Sports Network.

Reaction Score
NBC SN (rebranded multiple times) programming:

NHL
CAA and Ivy League Football
CAA, Ivy, A-10 Basketball
College Hockey
Some Formula One and Nascar
Spillover Olympic coverage

vs

Fox Sports 1 and 2:

MLB
US Open Golf (and other USGA events) -taken over from ESPN and NBC
UFC MMA (exclusive)
Pac 12, Big 12, Conf USA Football
Big East Basketball
FIFA Men's and Women's World Cup Soccer
EUEFA Europa, EUEFA Champions League, CONCACAF Champiopns League Soccer
Formula 1, Nascar racing
Boxing
Horse Racing

I took this last part from the wiki on FS1:

Despite being established well after ESPN and the CBS- and NBC-owned sports networks, Fox Sports 1, even before commencing programming, has been seen as a legitimate and serious competitor to ESPN,[9] in part due to 3 factors:

• [ ]Audience reach - FS1 was expected to reach 90 million households at the time of its launch, most of which through the spot Speed had occupied on cable/satellite channel lineups; by comparison, though that number is under ESPN's total reach (99 million homes), it is also more than the 77.9 million homes NBCSN reached at the beginning of 2013.[10]
    [ ]Brand awareness - Fox heavily promoted FS1's launch through its various TV, online, and social media platforms, including appearances of FS1 talent on existing Fox programming and the online posting of its shows' pre-launch rehearsals.[11]
    [ ]Programming strategy - Fox was aggressive in seeking and securing major content for FS1, employing a strategy to obtain rights to popular sports and leagues that they believed other networks underserved, as well as creating high-profile original shows (see Programming below).[11]

If I were betting, I'd bet FS1 and FS2 make do much better over the next decade than NBC Sports Network.

Your info is stale. Seriously. You don't seem to realize what is going on.

For heaven's sake, take a look at what they showed this weekend.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I've been watching a ton of Premier League on NBC SN not to mention Track and Field on Univeral Sports Network (also NBC) about the only thing I watch on Fox Sports is UEFA Champions League. FS1 lost Formula 1. F1 and IndyCar are on NBC SN. Granted losing USGA to Fox Sports is a big deal, a huge deal.... and I'm pretty sure NBC taking open wheel racing and Primier league will make up for it. As far as my viewing habbits... NBC SN will win over Fox Sports...

I'm not going to bet on who wins... but the NBC SN Premier League coverage is excellent. NBC is doing a good job of working the gaps in ESPNs coverage.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I've been watching a ton of Premier League on NBC SN not to mention Track and Field on Univeral Sports Network (also NBC) about the only thing I watch on Fox Sports is UEFA Champions League. FS1 lost Formula 1. F1 and IndyCar are on NBC SN. Granted losing USGA to Fox Sports is a big deal, a huge deal.... and I'm pretty sure NBC taking open wheel racing and Primier league will make up for it. As far as my viewing habbits... NBC SN will win over Fox Sports...

I'm not going to bet on who wins... but the NBC SN Premier League coverage is excellent. NBC is doing a good job of working the gaps in ESPNs coverage.
And I think you hit the nail on the head about not betting on who wins. They are all watching each other and will modify their approach as they need to. The game is to take share away from ESPN. That is the only thing that can be stated with certainty. How this evolves and who will be the final players is the uncertain part.

Reaction Score
What info is "stale"?

Was it the Pro Cycling or the Madden NFL 14 Pigskin Pro AM that were the big hits from this weekend's putrid offering on NBC SN?

http://www.nbcsports.com/tv-listings

You do realize that NBC network is different than NBC SN, I hope? NBC Network are the people with NFL Sunday Night football. The one with Faith Hill showing off her legs. NBC SN is the channel that showed the EPL all weekend. For that matter, tune in now, because Chelsea and Man. United is about to start, and they're not playing on Fox or Fs1 or Speed or Fuel or anything like that.

Reaction Score
@dmac
Am I missing something or didn't NCST sign two PF and an undersized center last year, two of which were in the top 100? Not exactly an open frontcourt. And the martin twins mean he wont shift to SF

Reaction Score
I'll get my first glimpse of FS2 this afternoon with Schalke playing PAOK in champions' league. Will compare it to the coverage of NBS SN's EPL game yesterday.

Reaction Score
BUMP

UConn on CBS/ESPN/ESPN2 a total of 16 times.

NC State on CBS/ESPN/ESPN2 a total of 4 times.

Don't get buried on channels no one watches, don't get buried in Gottfried's coaching fog.

Reaction Score
NC State plays against UNC, Duke, G Tech, Cuse and FSU.

They aren't fortunate enough to play UCF, SMU and Houston. F the crappy AAC. Thanks Warde! Go eat another burrito @ Moe's at the Storrs Center.

Reaction Score

They aren't fortunate enough to play UCF, SMU and Houston. F the crappy AAC. Thanks Warde! Go eat another burrito @ Moe's at the Storrs Center.

Let's try this again.

UConn is on ESPN and CBS 16 times
NC State is on 4 times

These are the top teams projected for next year: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...25-2013-14-season-ncaa-men-college-basketball

NC State will play Duke, UNC

UConn will play Memphis (2x), Stanford, Indiana, Maryland, Harvard, Florida, Louisville (2x). That's 9 games against top 25-35s.

They also have Cincy 2x, Temple 2x, Washington, and yes SMU 2x, a team that should be pretty good this year.

NC State has Tennessee, ND, Duke, Maryland, UNC 2x, Syracuse. They have 7 games against top competition.

BOTTOM LINE:

Games Against the Top 30:

UConn 9
NC State 7

Games on ESPN/2/CBS:

UConn 16
NC State 4

Stop it with the woe is me stuff.

Next year UConn already has Florida, Stanford, Kansas signed up.

Reaction Score

We know it's not the best of conferences but as Husky fans it is what it is! To have that attitude is sad honestly! GTech and the Seminoles have been such powerhouses.........lol

Reaction Score
Somewhat-OT, but I thought Kansas was just a rumor. Do we have them for sure in 2014-15?

Well, then, I stand corrected. I thought Amore or Borges reported it.

Reaction Score
The Providence hat looks awful....they must really have something against hats up there

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
My money is on no one really challenging ESPN. Unless they can come up with the live games to get it's done it's impossible.

Simply duplicating the non-game content ESPN has is ridiculous. Those shows are already dying and the last thing the world needs are more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom