For young Mr. Abu: compare TV schedules between UConn and NC State | Page 3 | The Boneyard

For young Mr. Abu: compare TV schedules between UConn and NC State

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
By that definition, then neither is the Big East. I am not knocking either conference, just making a point that after the big breakup we will have to see what the overall national view of both conferences will be like. It will be interesting.

I didn't say the BE was in flux. Not sure where this conversation is going. All I know is that UConn will appear 16 times on ESPN, ESPN2 and CBS, and next year I'm expecting the same.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
You're insane:

http://deadspin.com/espn-gets-defensive-about-ratings-drop-743950832

ESPN's ship is already taking on water. Hell, all of TV's ship is taking on water.

Except for baseball. Sunday Night Baseball/Baseball Tonight's ratings are way up in the second half. Way up. I'd reckon MLB Net's are as well. The exception has been Fox, whose baseball ratings have plunged. Plus the NBA ratings were very, very good.

The subscriber fees are entirely based on live events access, not studio shows. Dish Network is terrified of an ESPN standoff next month because they know they will have thousands of angry customers over an inability to watch Monday Night Football and college football, not First Take.

The subscriber fees will increase. I also saw a story where ESPN was considering offering a separate Watch ESPN subscription, which would be a massive revenue boost because they'd keep getting cable sub fees plus be able to take the incredibly small amount of cord-cutters to the cleaners by getting them to pay $10/month for the features they're currently getting for $5/month.

Reaction Score

Don't worry FriarJ, zls is on a roll of imagining things that were never said.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Don't worry FriarJ, zls is on a roll of imagining things that were never said.

FriarJ talked about Big East games being on FS2, which has less market penetration than ESPN3.

"With only 10 teams in the BE; PC will be on Fox Sports 1 or 2 for all BE games."

There. It's right there, near the start of the thread. It could not be more obvious what I was referencing if you took three seconds to actually look.

This is classic upstater- when you don't have the law, argue the facts...when you don't have the facts, argue the law...when you're upstater, backtrack from all declarations at warp speed and claim nobody ever said anything, because its all part of a gigantic conspiracy.

Reaction Score
FriarJ talked about Big East games being on FS2, which has less market penetration than ESPN3.

"With only 10 teams in the BE; PC will be on Fox Sports 1 or 2 for all BE games."

There. It's right there, near the start of the thread. It could not be more obvious what I was referencing if you took three seconds to actually look.

This is classic upstater- when you don't have the law, argue the facts...when you don't have the facts, argue the law...when you're upstater, backtrack from all declarations as warp speed and claim nobody ever said anything.

You're hallucinating. I gave you a break on a Friday night figuring you've had one or two. But get yourself together: it's Saturday morning.

I never said anything about ESPN losing revenue. Jeez.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Also, LOL at Upstater claiming ESPN or any broadcast entity is going to see decreasing revenues in the next 50 years at least. Not going to happen.

You're very simple if you believe that.

It's nearly a certainty that the broadcast and content delivery business will be disrupted sooner rather than later. It could help an entity like ESPN or it could hurt them or it could simply destroy them all together.

There are a lot more ways of delivering content available and there will be an ever-increasing number of outlets creating and providing it. At some point, ESPN will be a disassociated service that sports' fans will have to pony up for instead of a $5 fee spread out over a bunch of unknowing house fraus who just want that cable tier so they can watch Bravo.

The music and newspapers industries have gone through their come-to-Jesus moment and it has eviscerated them. It will likely work out far better for the broadcast networks, but still, I would want to bet that they'll still be here 50 years from now.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You're very simple if you believe that.

It's nearly a certainty that the broadcast and content delivery business will be disrupted sooner rather than later. It could help an entity like ESPN or it could hurt them or it could simply destroy them all together.

There are a lot more ways of delivering content available and there will be an ever-increasing number of outlets creating and providing it. At some point, ESPN will be a disassociated service that sports' fans will have to pony up for instead of a $5 fee spread out over a bunch of unknowing house fraus who just want that cable tier so they can watch Bravo.

The music and newspapers industries have gone through their come-to-Jesus moment and it has eviscerated them. It will likely work out far better for the broadcast networks, but still, I would want to bet that they'll still be here 50 years from now.
And the three major networks and the auto industry and computer industry..........

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
And the three major networks and the auto industry and computer industry..........

If I'm a gambling man, I'm betting that in 50 years, the man in the middle in the broadcast industry will no longer exist. People will get their NFL games directly from the NFL. The 60th season of Modern Family will be streamed or beamed directly from whatever production company made it.

The delivery systems for content will eventually open completely and the model of having to subscribe to the local cable monopoly will dissolve - once that happens, it's the wild west.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
If I'm a gambling man, I'm betting that in 50 years, the man in the middle in the broadcast industry will no longer exist. People will get their NFL games directly from the NFL. The 60th season of Modern Family will be streamed or beamed directly from whatever production company made it.

The delivery systems for content will eventually open completely and the model of having to subscribe to the local cable monopoly will dissolve - once that happens, it's the wild west.
It's the way I see it. Argued this point with my family and friends in the early nineties. They thought I had just gotten off the spaceship. Of course fifty years is a long time to project things. This was my optimistic projection of the future.

And holy cow, Batman. Your delivery system of things is off the charts brilliant. But you know that by now.

ctchamps

Reaction Score

And BTW, this is the projection which is moving Delaney and the B!G conference. It is why I'm a little less pessimistic than you about CR staying static for more than 5-7 years. The B!G intends to be a B!G player in the direct beaming market and is going for content. The GOR actually increased UConn's odds of getting absorbed rather than decreased the odds. It just put the time of movement out a few years.

Reaction Score

Because Time Warner and verizon ramped up the pricing on my standalone internet and landline services, I finally went with a bundle of DirectTv. It's been 3 weeks now and the TV has been on like twice. once this morning for NBC SN which had good Premier League coverage. Kids have no interest in it.

I will be one of the people paying ESPN $10 a month, maybe NBC SN. AMC if they keep putting on decent shows but even then I prefer watching them a season late on Netflix. Otherwise, I can't be bothered to watch TV on someone else's time. Prepackaged and delivered when I want it without commercials? I'll pay a premium for that.

Reaction Score
In the publishing industry, which I've been tracking, things have moved incredibly fast. Not only are the big box stores dead, but the commercial publishers are now bleeding, and soon the people who were supposed to pick up the pieces are bleeding (the Indy publishers). A decade ago, it cost a publisher $10k to print 1,000 books. The cost now is down to $1.5k (digital printing, though it's substandard compared to offset). This means that the Indie people who had prepared to infiltrate the system with small $50k budgets are being ringfenced by self-published authors, kickstarters and small collaboratives. I thought the Indy model was once the best because it was a good filter for readers who didn't want to read through dreck. An editor might be trusted to filter through the dreck for you since they were footing the bill themselves. Now, however, writers have become so adept at using social media to build readerships and more importantly communities, that readers no longer have to rely on the Indy people to filter through the dreck. They get a taste of what they're buying directly from the writers. Even the small non-profits, who were supposed to survive the meltdown, have been bypassed.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Because Time Warner and verizon ramped up the pricing on my standalone internet and landline services, I finally went with a bundle of DirectTv. It's been 3 weeks now and the TV has been on like twice. once this morning for NBC SN which had good Premier League coverage. Kids have no interest in it.

I will be one of the people paying ESPN $10 a month, maybe NBC SN. AMC if they keep putting on decent shows but even then I prefer watching them a season late on Netflix. Otherwise, I can't be bothered to watch TV on someone else's time. Prepackaged and delivered when I want it without commercials? I'll pay a premium for that.

I think the biggest problem for the networks/cable companies is that the next generation of people won't be showing up at 8 pm on a Tuesday to see a show. For example, I like some of the shows on CBS on Monday nights, so if I have free time, I'll probably watch those shows and the crap shows that surround them - that's a good thing for CBS.

Now...my nine-year old has a bunch of favorite shows - she has no idea when they're on or what network.

She streams them on the iPad, records them on the DVR, etc. She will never develop the habit of having to watch some show on channel 2 at 8 pm on Tuesdays. She wants to watch it when she has time to watch it in the manner that she wants to watch it.

In my opinion, that sort of disintermediation is inevitable and is a good thing. And when delivery systems become ubiquitous, there's no reason for the NFL or a Hollywood studio or a production company to have to deal with a middleman to deliver their content to their customers.

Reaction Score
In the publishing industry, which I've been tracking, things have moved incredibly fast. Not only are the big box stores dead, but the commercial publishers are now bleeding, and soon the people who were supposed to pick up the pieces are bleeding (the Indy publishers). A decade ago, it cost a publisher $10k to print 1,000 books. The cost now is down to $1.5k (digital printing, though it's substandard compared to offset). This means that the Indie people who had prepared to infiltrate the system with small $50k budgets are being ringfenced by self-published authors, kickstarters and small collaboratives. I thought the Indy model was once the best because it was a good filter for readers who didn't want to read through dreck. An editor might be trusted to filter through the dreck for you since they were footing the bill themselves. Now, however, writers have become so adept at using social media to build readerships and more importantly communities, that readers no longer have to rely on the Indy people to filter through the dreck. They get a taste of what they're buying directly from the writers. Even the small non-profits, who were supposed to survive the meltdown, have been bypassed.
Books are a thing of the past.
Between my wife and I we read 50 to 100 books a year.
Since we got kindles they are all digital.
The prices charged are only minimally lower . Since there are no printing or distribution costs that business is extremely profitable

Reaction Score
Books are a thing of the past.
Between my wife and I we read 50 to 100 books a year.
Since we got kindles they are all digital.
The prices charged are only minimally lower . Since there are no printing or distribution costs that business is extremely profitable

If it were extremely profitable it wouldn't be consolidating with fewer profits every year. There's like one commercial publisher out there now.

I don't think books are a thing of the past, by the way. They are cheaper to print than ever before. It's why books are proliferating while profits aren't.

Reaction Score
It may very well happen. Fleuds above just made that same point. But for now, on the cable guide, ESPN is still the first of all the channels. There are actually so many of them I have to search way down to find them. It would help FS1 tremendously if it were situated right after ESPN 1 or at the least ESPN 2. But so far, that's not what's happening. Not even the NFL Network has crept up in the order.

I have Verizon FIOS and Fox Sports 1 is right in the mix with the major sports channels, it right after the ESPNs and near nesn. I expect Verizon to move or relocate fox soccer Hd which is the next station up for FS2 HD. Fox Sports is not going away and will challenge ESPN. It is already in 90 million plus homes, so the entire Big East season, including all PC conf games is on national TV this season and going forward. Cooley stated PC will be on national TV 24 times this season.

Reaction Score
I have Verizon FIOS and Fox Sports 1 is right in the mix with the major sports channels, it right after the ESPNs and near nesn. I expect Verizon to move or relocate fox soccer Hd which is the next station up for FS2 HD. Fox Sports is not going away and will challenge ESPN. It is already in 90 million plus homes, so the entire Big East season, including all PC conf games is on national TV this season and going forward. Cooley stated PC will be on national TV 24 times this season.

Sigh. How many times on FS1? You do realize, I hope, that I was talking about exposure on the major networks?

Heck, CBSSN is national too. But no one cares.

Reaction Score
If you can't tell the FS1 and 2 are getting much more of a push from fox and in the media combined with much better and deeper content then the horribly named and placed CBS and NBC networks I don't know what to tell you. I just think the branding and style matters and Fox Sports is much better positioned to challenge ESPN and it shows even from this early stage. Don't sleep on UFC being a centerpiece either, that sport is growing big time

Reaction Score
If you can't tell the FS1 and 2 are getting much more of a push from fox and in the media combined with much better and deeper content then the horribly named and placed CBS and NBC networks I don't know what to tell you. I just think the branding and style matters and Fox Sports is much better positioned to challenge ESPN and it shows even from this early stage. Don't sleep on UFC being a centerpiece either, that sport is growing big time

Read the thread about FS1 (on the realignment board) where people are discussing NBCSN. They are doing a great job so far and look much more professional than FS1. No one has any stake at all in NBCSN, we otherwise wouldn't care, but it's getting rave reviews, and deservedly so. They are outdoing what Fox was doing with the EPL all these years by using field hover-cams and highlight shows. They are showing mutliple games and live view-ins. They are going above and beyond. Again, I don't really care about NBCSN but they are impressing me more than Fox.

On the PC board, you have people discussing the lack of availability of FS2.

Again, you do realize I was emphasizing that UConn will be on CBS, ESPN and ESPN2 16 times, right? The only possible comparison (and I gave you PC fans this) is Fs1. How many times will you be on FS1? That's what I'm asking. NC State will only be on those mass exposure channels 4 times this year. How about PC?

And, lastly, you have to admit it's much better to be on ESPN than it is to be on FS1. At least admit that.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
You might want to read what these guys have to say about FS1 and NBC in this thread. They don't have a bone with PC btw. Personally I have nothing against PC and hope they do well. The reason for the direction to the following thread is that two things stick out in my mind.

First: There is a big race by the media to eat into ESPN's monopoly in sports because they realize that sports is the one venue people will try to see live, therefore getting more ad revenue than other forms of content.
Second: This whole thing (content access) is in such a state of flux, there is no way of knowing which of the media players will be involved in the race five or ten years from now.

http://www.the-boneyard.com/threads/fs1.42427/

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Read the thread about FS1 (on the realignment board) where people are discussing NBCSN. They are doing a great job so far and look much more professional than FS1. No one has any stake at all in NBCSN, we otherwise wouldn't care, but it's getting rave reviews, and deservedly so. They are outdoing what Fox was doing with the EPL all these years by using field hover-cams and highlight shows. They are showing mutliple games and live view-ins. They are going above and beyond. Again, I don't really care about NBCSN but they are impressing me more than Fox.

On the PC board, you have people discussing the lack of availability of FS2.

Again, you do realize I was emphasizing that UConn will be on CBS, ESPN and ESPN2 16 times, right? The only possible comparison (and I gave you PC fans this) is Fs1. How many times will you be on FS1? That's what I'm asking. NC State will only be on those mass exposure channels 4 times this year. How about PC?

And, lastly, you have to admit it's much better to be on ESPN than it is to be on FS1. At least admit that.
LOL! Didn't know you were posting this when I posted almost the same thing.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

You're right - Fox will definitely present a better challenge to ESPN than the bizarre efforts CBS and NBC have put forth. They have a track record of success and they're playing the long game in a way that NBC and CBS have yet to figure out.

In ten years, I'd wager they'll have a very viable sports network. But in 2013, being on Fox Sports will be a little lonely. Perhaps a Georgetown-Nova game will have enough sparkle to encourage the average hoop fan to find out exactly where on the dial FS 1 is, but a Providence or Seton Hall game will be a friends-and-family affair.

One question about Fox - what exactly happened in the meeting where Regis Philbin sounded like a good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom