For young Mr. Abu: compare TV schedules between UConn and NC State | Page 2 | The Boneyard

For young Mr. Abu: compare TV schedules between UConn and NC State

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It would be incredible if Kentucky-Providence were on CBS. The game is at 8 pm on a Sunday night.

I can't imagine UK-Providence bumping the primetime lineup, especially in the heart of the NFL race (NBC will have a game with playoff implications that night).

I don't think we're using the word exposure right. In this day and age, even families with a kid playing at Tulane should not fret about getting to watch a kid play. At least half of the games will be available out of region. It's a question of catching the casual fan so that a player's exposure rises. I find myself watching ESPN or ESPN2 by default quite often. If my team is on SNY, I won't watch ESPN at all. But if my team isn't playing, I'll tune to ESPN to watch Missouri versus Arkansas rather than FS1 or CBSN to watch similarly random teams.
The days of domination by a broadcasting venue in sports, or a particular sport, is rapidly ending. As Fox, and and others, including the internet, eat into ESPN's dominance, the dollars ESPN will command will be reduced and cable providers will be offering these other networks with the dollars they save.

I expect that in the very near future most sports channels will be readily available to most areas. Exposure to the casual fan therefore will be predicated on the success of a particular team more than to a particular network.

Reaction Score
The days of domination by a broadcasting venue in sports, or a particular sport, is rapidly ending. As Fox, and and others, including the internet, eat into ESPN's dominance, the dollars ESPN will command will be reduced and cable providers will be offering these other networks with the dollars they save.

I expect that in the very near future most sports channels will be readily available to most areas. Exposure to the casual fan therefore will be predicated on the success of a particular team more than to a particular network.

Could be but I'll say this: those days are so far down the road that Uconn won't even be in the AAC at that point, so the discussion is moot. For the next 5 to 8 year, FS1 isn't catching up to ESPN.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Could be but I'll say this: those days are so far down the road that Uconn won't even be in the AAC at that point, so the discussion is moot. For the next 5 to 8 year, FS1 isn't catching up to ESPN.
Depends on the upcoming contracts with the SEC and B!G. But 5 to 8 years if a fairly short period of time says the person who has a few years on you!:)

Reaction Score
Depends on the upcoming contracts with the SEC and B!G. But 5 to 8 years if a fairly short period of time says the person who has a few years on you!:)

Well, then UConn has a short horizon to get out of this conference.

Reaction Score
With all this upcoming high-profile national TV coverage, the Huskies should get a dedicated makeup artist and hairstylist. Abu, you don't want to miss out on that, do you?

Reaction Score
we'll see, I know Fox has gone has all in this time with FoxSports1 but they've gone up against ESPN once before and lost. Fox and NBC are the biggest challengers to ESPN right now and they're still way behind.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
we'll see, I know Fox has gone has all in this time with FoxSports1 but they've gone up against ESPN once before and lost. Fox and NBC are the biggest challengers to ESPN right now and they're still way behind.
As bad as the contract was for the AAC dollar wise, it was the correct move exposure wise. They got the conference to be primarily on the best sports media's channels.

The hand the conference was dealt was horrible. ESPN had matching rights to any offers. NBC was the only bidder and they offered very little. Can't blame them given that the two best products of the conference have one foot out the door. ESPN matched the offer and Aresco and the Presidents maximized the deal the best they could. They offered 6 years in exchange for exposure. A longer deal would have given them more money at the risk of better opportunities should the conference succeed. A shorter deal could have let the conference get other opportunities quicker if success could be attained quickly. But I'm sure ESPN would have not given them the same exposure that ESPN agreed to give.

I'm hoping for a UConn landing in either the B!G or the ACC in that order. But if that doesn't pan out the AAC has six years to demonstrate value to the media players and hopefully by then the competition for content will increase.

Reaction Score
As bad as the contract was for the AAC dollar wise, it was the correct move exposure wise. They got the conference to be primarily on the best sports media's channels.

The hand the conference was dealt was horrible. ESPN had matching rights to any offers. NBC was the only bidder and they offered very little. Can't blame them given that the two best products of the conference have one foot out the door. ESPN matched the offer and Aresco and the Presidents maximized the deal the best they could. They offered 6 years in exchange for exposure. A longer deal would have given them more money at the risk of better opportunities should the conference succeed. A shorter deal could have let the conference get other opportunities quicker if success could be attained quickly. But I'm sure ESPN would have not given them the same exposure that ESPN agreed to give.

I'm hoping for a UConn landing in either the B!G or the ACC in that order. But if that doesn't pan out the AAC has six years to demonstrate value to the media players and hopefully by then the competition for content will increase.

For UConn, the difference between $2m a year and $4m a year is minor because it needs to reach the $20m a year category within the next 10 years. And the way to do that is with a nationally successful bball team. And the way to do that is with exposure. An extra $2m is not going to help much if the bball team isn't contending for national championships.

Reaction Score

I think you missed my point entirely.

A casual fan will turn on ESPN and see that UConn is playing Memphis. Will they then go looking for the Georgetown-Providence game on FS1 instead?

The point is, ESPN is your first destination. This is why UCF-SMU are not playing on ESPN1 but instead on U.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The casual basketball fan won't turn on a game and see two unranked teams played. They would want to see #7 UConn play #10 Memphis.

Reaction Score

It may very well happen. Fleuds above just made that same point. But for now, on the cable guide, ESPN is still the first of all the channels. There are actually so many of them I have to search way down to find them. It would help FS1 tremendously if it were situated right after ESPN 1 or at the least ESPN 2. But so far, that's not what's happening. Not even the NFL Network has crept up in the order.

Reaction Score
It's easy for people to pick out SMU and UCF from the AAC and say, "who's going to watch these guys??"...It's really not any different than asking the same question about any NBE game involving Seton Hall or Depaul.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
It may very well happen. Fleuds above just made that same point. But for now, on the cable guide, ESPN is still the first of all the channels. There are actually so many of them I have to search way down to find them. It would help FS1 tremendously if it were situated right after ESPN 1 or at the least ESPN 2. But so far, that's not what's happening. Not even the NFL Network has crept up in the order.
Things change. Viewing habits change. In general some of us are more flexible in making adjustments than others. In general the older we are the less flexible. Not your problem I suspect.

Reaction Score
Things change. Viewing habits change. In general some of us are more flexible in making adjustments than others. In general the older we are the less flexible. Not your problem I suspect.

When it comes to TV, I change quite a bit. Having small children means Netflix is on the TV for an hour or two a day. I watch as often on iPads or the computer. So when we switch to cable, I still get confused with the channel lineup. ESPN is 206 on mine, and then you get a bunch of ESPNs (2, News, U, Classic, etc.) then 3 NFLs, MLB, NHL, MavTV (car racing), NBA, Tennis, Golf, NBCSN, then finally you get to FS1 but FS1 is NOT followed by FS2, then CBSSN, then a bunch of other sports channels. Then 600 channels later you get regionals like YES, SNY, MSG, NESN, then Big Ten network and finally FS2 is tucked between Fox Soccer and some soccer channel called BEIN.

There is very little chance that I'm going to surf through these channels.

Surfing is the way I typically do it. I know I can program favorites, but since I haven't done that now, I can't see how Fox is going to get me to do it soon. I have very little sentimental ties to the BE Catholic schools, and YES, SNY, NESN are at least 15 channels away, so... I'm just not going to get to it. If Providence finds itself on FS2, it is going to get buried. It's bad enough that Fs1 is 16 channels away from ESPN (I may somehow reach it) but everything else is so spread out. Here's how I expect to work it.

1. Look through all the ESPNS in the early 200s
2. Through NFLs (which follow the ESPNs)
3. Press 639 which takes me to SNY

I'm done right there.

Reaction Score

I don't think so. Do you? I have a hard enough time finding it for UConn games.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Upcoming SEC contract? Ah, no. ESPN has that locked up for fifteen years. The only one coming up is the Big Ten...then the AAC, ironically enough.

I also enjoy PC people propping up FS2 when it isn't available in much of New England in SD, yet alone nationwide.

Reaction Score

When it comes to college bball I'm definitely more than casual. I will watch a few games during the week. Maybe my TV is too small at 42 inches but I can't tell what is going on with the 10 screen channel you mentioned. I was trying for the Patriots game last night and ended up on a CFL channel. and I wear glasses to watch TV!

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Also, LOL at Upstater claiming ESPN or any broadcast entity is going to see decreasing revenues in the next 50 years at least. Not going to happen.

Reaction Score
Also, LOL at Upstater claiming ESPN or any broadcast entity is going to see decreasing revenues in the next 50 years at least. Not going to happen.

What's really LOL is no one even knows what you are talking about.

Reaction Score
Uh, no. The AAC is not in flux. The AAC has a new deal, and this is what it looks like. There's no flux at all. UConn will continue to be featured.
By that definition, then neither is the Big East. I am not knocking either conference, just making a point that after the big breakup we will have to see what the overall national view of both conferences will be like. It will be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom