For those calling for Ollies head | Page 7 | The Boneyard

For those calling for Ollies head

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Even if all the negative posters are right about our current status, we could return to the Big East and hire a better coach. We'd be right back where we were in 1995 or so. At $4,000,000 per year, hiring a great coach is not a problem. Still, you have to choose a great coach. That is more complicated than writing a check.

I think maybe the debate needs to turn more to football or no football than anything else. We seem to be closer to a day of reckoning on that than I'd previously thought, primarily because fan interest in the AAC schedule just isn't there. Still, would our fans be showing up in droves to see this team against Seton Hall of St John's? I don't think so. It is a performance issue first and foremost. I'd like to see how attendance would look with our team winning in style day in and day out.

I have always believed we'd be ok in the end. Despite the state being in the crapper and so many other issues, the school itself is better than ever. At some point, that will get us somewhere with college presidents looking for a conference mate. Our time will come if we hire great coaches and win games. As much as my heart says to return to the Big East, my brain tells me to stop hiring the wrong coaches and stay where we are.

Reaction Score
Uconn a forgotten program? No.

Example of why it takes more than 2 or 3 down years: When was the last real solid year for Indiana? 2002? They are anything but forgotten, even with so many down years (including 3 really bad years from 2008 to 2011 that were so bad that they would be envious of 16-17). Plus 2 subpar seasons in 04 and 05, and, 3 of their last 4 seasons have been average at best. Granted they are obviously in a better conference and all...But people have better memories than 2 or 3 bad years. I remember Indiana in 2002 and I have never even been to Indiana...So, yes, it will take a longer time than you think to forget Uconn and way more down years.

Damn basically copied what I said in longer form and didn't even like my post where I brought that up. Such disrespect!

Reaction Score
I'd take Ed Cooley in a heartbeat over Ollie. Sorry guys, I know this sounds like a troll post. I just think PC is a tough place to win and Cooley is recruiting well there, and consistently putting a good Friars team on the court. Not easy.
Well we are not getting Cooley but if you think a change is do an Ed Cooley type might be out there. Someone stepping up in class. Contrary to some on this board The UConn job is still an attractive one. Now I doubt we will pay the next coach Ollie money but it will be a big pay day for an up and comer. It only takes one or two special players to turn a team around in CBB. With the right program builder there is no reason to believe we can’t be a ranked team again. Now I’m all in on giving KO through at least the Cuse and Zona games to see how the team performs. Lose both of those and we probably need to win our tourney to make the NCAAs. There will be no coaching change this year so I’m just going to support the team and the coach. But I understand the frustration of those continuing to vent. Lastly Kevin Ollie was a great player at UConn and represented us well in the NBA but he is not a great coach. And my gut tells me he never will be. We need a great coach. Nothing personal.

Reaction Score
There is simply no where for this program to turn. The dumpster fire that is and has been UConn basketball will go down with the captain of this ship. This program, in this conference, is no longer a destination job. Danny Hurley and the likes are a pipe dream. Instead, we are now forced to deal with results that begin with, "The first time in 40 years...." Its simple. We do not have a good coach. We do not have good enough players. Combined, its hard to win vs quality high majors. Just last week, most on here were ecstatic over home wins vs Stony Brook and BU. What gives? It is quite clear we don't have a high major front court and because of that alone, we will not win enough games to get into the NCAA tourney. UConn is becoming exactly what people warned after Calhoun's retirement and losing in conference realignment. To any realist, I understand if its disappointing but not surprising. "We are exactly what they said we are."

On the flip side, I too have heard rumblings about a toxic atmosphere from a second hand source. Maybe I am in a permanent state of denial, but I have a hard time believing this. For one, if it was true, my faith in AD DB has to think this would be addressed, monitored, and resolved.

Wichita State and Cincy are currently ranked #8 and #9 in the country. UCONN won the National Championship while in the AAC. Our wonderful UCONN women win regardless of league affiliation so although I too miss the old Big East days, that's not the problem.
KO knows he needs to right the ship quickly. I respect many of the knowledgeable UCONN Bball fans who know there is currently much disfunction. We can attribute it to youth and learning to play together but the team just doesn't pass the eyeball test. I see too much selfishish play and not enough passing. We need to get scoring down low to open up the game for our shooters. Ollie's team must develope an inside game or unfortunately Arkansas will not be the last blow out we see. Sometimes I think coach bashing can get out of hand. In this case KO deserves the heat. He knows that and understand we wouldn't be UCONN nation if we were happy with getting slaughtered. It's put up or shut up time!

Reaction Score
Damn basically copied what I said in longer form and didn't even like my post where I brought that up. Such disrespect!
Sorry, I did not see it. Is it in this thread? When I have time I will seek it out and give the elusive like!!

Reaction Score
Whom do you replace him with that has a realistic chance of bringing this program back to where it needs to be? Is it a guy who isnt going to jump ship to the NBA after winning for a few seasons?

Sometimes you have to go backwards to go forward. The offense really explains this team and teams to come. Too individualistic! Selfishness..must I go on. Calhoun could do this but demanded perfection and got everything out of everybody. I just dont see Ollie turning it around or do I believe he sees the big picture! Calhoun or any good coach would have never let that embarrassing game happen he would have somehow capitlaized on the first performance and had them ready again. I was so disgusted with the lack of effort and free wheeling selfish play. I love UConn hoop we schedule life around our season tickets and all games but I'm disgusted! I know there is more to it than a coach in regards to the down fall of CT hoop including the University missing the boat on conference realignment etc. I just dont have time to sit here and reiterate it again!

I hope Im wrong but I believe its the end of a great era at Uconn!

Reaction Score
*whispers* Ed Cooley?

Makes 2M a year and is trending up, likely would decline but certainly worth a phone call.

Reaction Score
He inherited Napier. That took care of his first two years.
He also inherited a top 10 player in Deandre Daniels and a very good player in Ryan Boatright. Problem with KO is he can't build a program. Not everyone has that talent. I just don't see KO being a program builder and that is why I believe he will be out at the end of the year.

Reaction Score
*whispers* Ed Cooley?

Makes 2M a year and is trending up, likely would decline but certainly worth a phone call.

He recently went on full blast against football conferences and praised the all-mighty Big East. He's already beating us for New England recruits. No way he leaves.

But Hurley might...

Reaction Score
Finally!!!

Someone who get it. Ollie is our chance. You cannot replace him. Who do yo want?
I want Ed Cooley from PC, if he would make the move. Ollie does not know how to teach offense.

Reaction Score
I have been following the UCONN program since the early 70's when my Grammar School basketball Coach would take the Team to the Old Field house in Storrs. Joey Whelton, Corny Thompson, Jim Abromaitis, Tony Hansen and many more. I remember when Tony Hansen and Randy Lavine played and almost stunned Providence in the Tourney..
The Big East brought College Basketball to the Limelight when it started as did Jim Calhoun with UCONN those years. Some great Teams.

Wasn't the big push for Football from Big East schools who wanted to be part of stronger Football Conferences that ultimatley brought down the Big East Basketball Conference?

As constituted the Big East has 10 schools, zero football programs and would be a better Conference suited for UCONN basketball.
The ACC has 15 BB Teams are they waiting for UCONN to make it an even 16?

Football in CT will never take shape. The best recruits head South or West. Time to put Football behind the Basketball programs at UCONN where it always should have been.

In the end if Kevin Ollie's heart is at UCONN (since he did not take the LA job?) then give him some help. By all accounts Glen Miller leaving was a huge loss far as recruiting and again, the Conference they play in cannot help recruiting. When you need to buy a plane ticket to go to any Away conference games, that says it all!

The #1 issue with Mens Basketball at the moment is the Conference. A close second is Gampel Pavilion. It was great when it opened back in the early 90's but today its like walking into a morgue with all the concrete and peeling ceiling. With all the money being poured into UCONN over the years did they forget about upgrading Gampel?

Get back to the Big East or ACC. Then lets see what KO can do before it's to late...

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He inherited Napier. That took care of his first two years.

With limited ability to get more talent. Not to mention a ban. And conference change. Which torpedoed recruiting those next couple years. Hence, the sh#tstorm. You can't argue against those facts. He hasn't done a good job with it since though, even when recruiting picked up again.

His biggest shortcoming seems to be coaching a team, and to a lesser extent developing guys. I think these guys would look a lot better if they put a better 'team product' on the floor.

Reaction Score
For the final time. Stop speculating, Kevin Ollie is going nowhere for the next 2 yrs. I know the administration at UCONN is trying to save money/balance budgets. The governors election is next yr. The UCONN athletic department is hemorrhaging money. David Bennett was brought in to stabilize the finances, so far he fail big time with his first major decision in football. He cannot fire Ollie without approval from the Susan. Susan will not give it because if the GOP wins the governors (likely) in 2018. UCONN will have a bull-eye on its backs in the budget cuts. They will cite waste and the first example will be paying $10 million to replace Ollie. Herst's job might even be in jeopardy if the team and attendance craters after Ollie. They are even talking about shutting down part of UCONN health due to the budget cuts. Kevin Ollie is the best choice for UCONN and Connecticut going forward. Stop your wishful thinking

pj

Reaction Score
I want Ed Cooley from PC, if he would make the move.

Hurley beat Cooley last night, so he's leapfrogged Cooley for me. I go by what have you done for me in the last 24 hours.

But I'm still rooting for Ollie to find his way and become a better coach than either of them.

Reaction Score
Thought this was an interesting article. UNC has 2 starters who weren't top 100 recruits. Luke Maye was a 3 star recruit who was originally going to be a preferred walk on. He's now one of their best players as a junior. So what happened? Either the UNC staff did a great job finding diamonds in the rough or the kid developed and got much better. For arguments sake let's go with the latter. And I think that's one of the biggest things the UConn program has been missing the last few years. They can be very good every year with the type pf recruiting they've had if they develop kids.

So what's not in place that used to be when more players at UConn outplayed their recruiting rankings? Is the staff not recruiting the right kids who want to work hard? Are the kids not being pushed more? Are they not being taught well? I really don't know but UConn needs to get back to that type of development.

UNC's Junior Class Surpassing Recruiting Rankings

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
So what's not in place that used to be when more players at UConn outplayed their recruiting rankings? Is the staff not recruiting the right kids who want to work hard? Are the kids not being pushed more? Are they not being taught well?
There has been a cultural problem for the last 4 seasons. Lack of accountability from top to bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom