For those calling for Ollies head | Page 8 | The Boneyard

For those calling for Ollies head

Status
Not open for further replies.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
They don't make the tourney his ass is fired. Know for a fact that the culture is somewhat fractured (player wise). If you want to think UConn is a blueblood..act like one.

Reaction Score
Thought this was an interesting article. UNC has 2 starters who weren't top 100 recruits. Luke Maye was a 3 star recruit who was originally going to be a preferred walk on. He's now one of their best players as a junior. So what happened? Either the UNC staff did a great job finding diamonds in the rough or the kid developed and got much better. For arguments sake let's go with the latter. And I think that's one of the biggest things the UConn program has been missing the last few years. They can be very good every year with the type pf recruiting they've had if they develop kids.

So what's not in place that used to be when more players at UConn outplayed their recruiting rankings? Is the staff not recruiting the right kids who want to work hard? Are the kids not being pushed more? Are they not being taught well? I really don't know but UConn needs to get back to that type of development.

UNC's Junior Class Surpassing Recruiting Rankings

Point guard play is the #1 reason for the poor results. I know someone can bring up outside shooting or the lack of developing big men, and that speaks to your larger point, but if you have good PG play, then placeholders like Phil Nolan or Olander, or mediocre shooters like Giffey, suddenly seem much better than they really are.

It is stunning that Ollie's biggest asset as a teacher (knowledge of PG position), and the staff's expertise as well (Glenn Miller, Ricky Moore, Karl Hobbs) has turned into such a big weakness the last 3 years. We simply haven't gotten from Gibbs and Alterique what we wanted, and I'm not sure that Jalen Adams was ever suited for it, though he has a great chance to show what he can do now.

Reaction Score
10 million dollars.

Now please stop.

Didn't someone say it was $15m recently?

Regardless, I agree, what is the point of rehashing this on the main UConn board if the money for a buyout doesn't exist, especially when the state is cutting $100m to $200m in funding to UConn over the next several years?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Didn't someone say it was $15m recently?

Regardless, I agree, what is the point of rehashing this on the main UConn board if the money for a buyout doesn't exist, especially when the state is cutting $100m to $200m in funding to UConn over the next several years?

The details are in one of the threads but it’s pretty close to exactly 10mm after this season.

Reaction Score
Looking at that women’s game crowd today was pretty dishartening.

People like winners. UConn is a national phenomenon. Was wearing a UConn shirt here in Buffalo today when a soccer mom and her daughter stopped me to talk, and they said UConn women's bball is must-watch TV for them and their friends.

Reaction Score
Napier already had a ring. He did more for KO than vice versa.

Napier had a lot of good things to say about Ollie recently.

And the amazing thing here is that Napier was the only NBA guy on that 2014 team, which is extremely rare for a national champion, so either Napier is one of the greatest college bball players of all time, or he had some coaching help. Even if you don't want to give Ollie credit, you need to give the assistants credit, because that was a masterful coaching job, and those players developed over their final 2 years in Storrs when Ollie was head coach.

Napier improved, Boatright improved, Giffey improved, Nolan improved, Daniels improved.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
As much as I think we need a new direction, blowing 10 million dollars is not the right answer for the university.

Unless there’s a scandal or something that requires his immediate termination I think we’re stuck with him until 2020 or maybe even later. Losing season/no NCAAT included. It’s a business.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And the amazing thing here is that Napier was the only NBA guy on that 2014 team, which is extremely rare for a national champion, so either Napier is one of the greatest college bball players of all time, or he had some coaching help.

Napier was clearly one of the greatest bball players of all time.

Reaction Score
Napier already had a ring. He did more for KO than vice versa.

Yeah no * Waq what did he do his soph year in case you can't read? Awful, he was sideways with everyone and certainly could've easily left the program like everyone else. Too old to recall how it was turned around and who helped make that happen?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yeah no * Waq what did he do his soph year in case you can't read? Awful, he was sideways with everyone and certainly could've easily left the program like everyone else. Too old to recall how it was turned around and who helped make that happen?
Everyone, including JC went sideways that year. That year is a throwout for all involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom