For those calling for Ollies head | Page 5 | The Boneyard

For those calling for Ollies head

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If we see no improvement by mid season and it is clear KO will get the can I don't see a reason to wait until the end of the year to do it unless we don't have an immediate replacement. That is valuable time the new staff could use recruiting the current team to stay and recruiting new recruits.

Reaction Score
Do 4 National Titles really mean NOTHING to a potential coach? And not 4 National titles in the 70s, all since 1999?

I understand losing Big Monday and MSG/BET is devastating, but could you imagine a school that won 4 National Titles in football since 1999 not being somewhat attractive to a COMPETENT head coach? I can't.
It doesn't mean squat with these kids or for the coach. Different generation... kids love the attention on social media and Television. 4 titles in a bull $h117 conference is not going to work with this generation. Calhoun was able to get under the radar players because there was less social media and attention. Now every coach knows who is who from like 5th grade.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If we see no improvement by mid season and it is clear KO will get the can I don't see a reason to wait until the end of the year to do it unless we don't have an immediate replacement. That is valuable time the new staff could use recruiting the current team to stay and recruiting new recruits.

If you want to get someone who is currently coaching (you do), then you can't do it mid season. No one's going to leave their current gig in the middle of the year.

Reaction Score
"The win is Arkansas’ first-ever in five tries against the Huskies."

Arizona will probably get their first win against us, too. Hard to believe how poorly Ollie is doing but he seems to be quite ungrateful these days.

Reaction Score
It doesn't mean squat with these kids or for the coach. Different generation... kids love the attention on social media and Television. 4 titles in a bull $h117 conference is not going to work with this generation. Calhoun was able to get under the radar players because there was less social media and attention. Now every coach knows who is who from like 5th grade.

Did the conference make an entire recruiting class transfer? Did it make our coach sleep at the wheel and let a recruit back off his commitment? Is the conference making us run an offense where it's stand around and hope a guard can one on one do it all himself? I absolutely concede losing ESPN games and BET at MSG hurts big time but it's not the only reason we are at where we are at and if the time comes I refuse to believe our pedigree means nothing to potential coaches.

Reaction Score
There is no one I want more than the coach Ollie can become.

Reaction Score
My point is, UConn and URI have a vastly different hiring pool. The fact that URI ended up hiring someone who is probably out of our league at this point is meaningless - they struck lightning in a bottle.
Nobody here with a brain is buying your schtik. You post here only for reaction, or to antagonize and you offer nothing of substance.

Reaction Score
The offense is embarrassing bad and has been for a long time. No movement no screening. We get maybe one ball screen a possession. Bring in a guy who's actually a coach and knows an offensive system. It's bad.

That said it's one game. He needs to make the tournament this year. Who do we hire? I'm not sure but their are names out there.

Reaction Score
If you’re talking about recent history, Uconn has one more national championships than any program including Duke, North Carolina and Kansas. In fact we were becoming synonymous with the term blueblood only four years ago. I think you’re under valuing the program and it’s history and brand value.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Who do we hire? I'm not sure but their are names out there.
– Danny Hurley (URI)
– Eric Musselman (Nevada)
– Steve Pikiell (Rutgers)
– Eric Konkol (Louisiana Tech)
– Earl Grant (College of Charleston)
– Pat Kelsey (Winthrop)

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Nobody here with a brain is buying your schtik. You post here only for reaction, or to antagonize and you offer nothing of substance.

This is laughably wrong. You wish your posts had my substance.

Reaction Score
If you’re talking about recent history, Uconn has one more national championships than any program including Duke, North Carolina and Kansas. In fact we were becoming synonymous with the term blueblood only four years ago. I think you’re under valuing the program and it’s history and brand value.
Undervaluing? We're in the AAC for Christ sake. Blueblood? Name a so called blue blood that's not in the Power 5 conferences. This is not the big East, we are spoiled. We struggle to have 5000 people watch a game. Even when we won our 2014 chip, our arenas were maybe half its capacity. Watch the crowd at the so called blue bloods and let me know if our fan base is as supportive and show up the same to our games. If I was a top 10-20 player I would not be going to UCONN to play in that terrible conference. Geno can get away with it because his conference games are his cupcakes and his non-conference is stacked with highly ranked opponents.

Reaction Score
Did the conference make an entire recruiting class transfer? Did it make our coach sleep at the wheel and let a recruit back off his commitment? Is the conference making us run an offense where it's stand around and hope a guard can one on one do it all himself? I absolutely concede losing ESPN games and BET at MSG hurts big time but it's not the only reason we are at where we are at and if the time comes I refuse to believe our pedigree means nothing to potential coaches.
Yes our conference and stability has cost us tremendously. Enoch, would not had worked at UCONN. Because Our shooting has been atrocious Vance could have helped but he may have given up more points on defense than he scores. Makai wouldn't have gotten much playing time as a freshman over our current guards and he can't shoot either. I will take a Freshmen Akinjo over a sophomore Makai. Now Durham could have made a difference this season. He is a skilled 6"11 player that needed more time to recover from his injuries and get stronger. A great offseason could have done wonders for him. Now please tell me who can we throw the ball to in the post to and get a bucket and not a turnover? please tell me which of our bigs can score a basket on a high screen and roll without a turnover? please tell which of our bigs can screen and pop for a jump shot? Over time Carlton, Whaley and Kisunas will be better but we're not there right now.

Reaction Score
Well yeah, you have to, but potentially mitigating damage (with a couple of the names bandied around, I don't know if they'll even be at an Ollie level) is a far cry from improving the status of the program.

Ollie level???? Anyone who has a the smallest offensive game plan will surpass the Ollie level. His level.... that has to be a joke.

Reaction Score
How about Dana Altman? He just lost what was essentially a home game to an Ollie coached team.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Being in the AAC doesn’t mean that we don’t play with pride. I’m sick of hearing recruiting sucks because of the AAC. Yes the recruiting has been up and down but do you see how we are playing that is why recruiting is down.

Reaction Score
There is simply no where for this program to turn. The dumpster fire that is and has been UConn basketball will go down with the captain of this ship. This program, in this conference, is no longer a destination job. Danny Hurley and the likes are a pipe dream. Instead, we are now forced to deal with results that begin with, "The first time in 40 years...." Its simple. We do not have a good coach. We do not have good enough players. Combined, its hard to win vs quality high majors. Just last week, most on here were ecstatic over home wins vs Stony Brook and BU. What gives? It is quite clear we don't have a high major front court and because of that alone, we will not win enough games to get into the NCAA tourney. UConn is becoming exactly what people warned after Calhoun's retirement and losing in conference realignment. To any realist, I understand if its disappointing but not surprising. "We are exactly what they said we are."

On the flip side, I too have heard rumblings about a toxic atmosphere from a second hand source. Maybe I am in a permanent state of denial, but I have a hard time believing this. For one, if it was true, my faith in AD DB has to think this would be addressed, monitored, and resolved.

Reaction Score
Calhoun is the greatest basketball coach in the history of the sport. Nobody else has replicated what he did in building UConn up, and it's safe to say nobody ever will again.

Yep, that's my concern. Obviously we're homers in thinking he's the best ever (Coach K, Dean Smith, Bob Knight, Wooden, et al.) but to build what he built, at a quiet outpost in the middle of Connecticut, was an incredible accomplishment. And we're getting to the point where we need someone to do that again -- which may never happen. Ollie's program is rotting from the inside out, and is jeopardizing what Calhoun constructed.

Reaction Score
I'd take Ed Cooley in a heartbeat over Ollie. Sorry guys, I know this sounds like a troll post. I just think PC is a tough place to win and Cooley is recruiting well there, and consistently putting a good Friars team on the court. Not easy.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
– Danny Hurley (URI)
– Eric Musselman (Nevada)
– Steve Pikiell (Rutgers)
– Eric Konkol (Louisiana Tech)
– Earl Grant (College of Charleston)
– Pat Kelsey (Winthrop)

Jay Lawson (Bentley College) – Lawson has had winning seasons at Bentley in 18 of 19 seasons as head coach. Won five straight Northeastern-10 conference championships from 2005-2009. He has five Sweet Sixteen appearances since 2005 and three Elite Eight appearances since 2007. His 2007-08 Bentley team broke the Division II record for most consecutive wins ending the season with 54 straight dating to the season before. He won both the NABC Regional and Northeastern-10 coach of the year award five times each.

Bob Walsh (Rhode Island College) – Walsh has lead RIC to a 135-43 (.758) record over the last six years at RIC, including an incredible 81-18 (.819) conference and 23-8 (.741) postseason record. During that time, the Anchormen have won four Little East Conference regular season championships and LEC tournament championships. They have made five NCAA Tournament appearances, reaching the 2010 and 2011 Sweet 16 and 2008 Elite 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom