For the record, my dream scenario is that FSU takes its ball and heads to the Big 12 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

For the record, my dream scenario is that FSU takes its ball and heads to the Big 12

Reaction Score
I don't think the Big 12 would be talking to us if anyone thought the ACC was about to blow apart.

I don't think anyone that matters thinks FSU will beat the GOR.

I agree with this. I don’t know if FSU is getting out of the GOR, but I’m beginning to wonder if it matters. FSU may have over played its hand assuming the SEC and BiG were waiting with open arms.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
With only three years remaining (if Dodd's prediction on ESPN's declining the option turns out to be correct), the buyout of the GOR would be minimal (or they could wait it out for a year) but there is still the matter of the exit fee (a little over $100 million) they would need to pay. They aren't doing this to move to the B-12 (no ACC school would).

If we do move to the B-12, I doubt that any current ACC members would join us for quite some time.

Reaction Score
My dream scenario is UConn goes the to B12 and wins another double in MBB and WBB, and makes college World Series. Then the ACC gets raided and BC, Cuse, Vile, and Pitt have no where to go.
I'd take Yormark getting his NE pod with 'Cuse, Ville & Pitt to get to 20 (with UConn in the fold BC is redundant and unnecessary); with some combination of ACC leftovers to form their SE pod to get to 24 (if that's the end-game). Gives UConn back OBE rivalries with WVU, Pitt & Cuse; plus post-raid rivalries with Cincy & Ville; a couple of AAC partners in UCF (ConFLiCT lives) and Houston; plus some basketball powers in Kansas, Baylor & a hoops-first Arizona.

Florida State, UVA & UNC end up in the Big Ten (which leaves the lights on for Notre Dame). The SEC scrambles to figure out what to do... potentially ending up with NC State & Virginia Tech, but Clemson finds itself uncomfortably without a P2 home, probably stuck in the Big XII SE quadrant with Miami, Georgia Tech & Duke. Wake & BC end up in the best of the rest conference the Pac-12 remnants form with Stanford, Cal, OSU, WSU, SMU and others. (If Utah realized it's Big Ten dream (which would mean the Big Ten gave up on Notre Dame for now) then the door opens for one of those schools to be the California outpost for the now coast to coast Big XII)

Big XII decouples it's media rights into a football & basketball/olympic sport setup. P2 firms up and stabilizes. Big XXIV ends up solidly as the middle iter; with the Pac-12 remnants a half-step down and the remaining G5s pretty far beyond that.. so much so the top-4 (SEC, Big Ten, Big XXIV & Best of Rest) separate into the Autonomous division and Division 1 consolidates the FCS and remaining G5s with a single championship for football and basketball. Probably about 84 teams wind up in the Autonomous Division.

Reaction Score
I don't think the Big 12 would be talking to us if anyone thought the ACC was about to blow apart.

I don't think anyone that matters thinks FSU will beat the GOR.
Oh, yeah I agree no one is getting out of the ACC now I thought we were all talking about 2036

Reaction Score
While I would not be mad at that, UConn belongs back in a league with those teams. The ACC would be an incredibly fun home for hoops, and football we be best supported playing Syracuse, BC, Pitt, and WVU again, like the old days.
ETA: baseball is better in the ACC too
Then why not this come 2036:

Big12West:
1) Zona 2) ASU 3) BYU 4) Utah
5) Colorado 6) Kansas 7) K St 8) OK St
9) TT 10) TCU 11) Baylor 12) Houston

Big12East:
1) ISU 2) Lville* 3) Cincy 4) WVU
5) UConn 6) Cuse* 7) Pitt* 8) VT*
9) NC St* 10) Duke* 11) GT* 12) UCF

MW: Cal/Stanford/SMU
AAC: BC/Wake
BIG: Notre Dame/Virginia
SEC: UNC/Clemson/FSU/Miami

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Theory: UConn to the Big 12 is supported by ESPN in part because it is setting the stage for them to not renew with the ACC.

The floodgates open from the ACC and the Big 12 gets their pick after UNC and TBD decide between the B1G and the SEC.

Reaction Score
I'd take Yormark getting his NE pod with 'Cuse, Ville & Pitt to get to 20 (with UConn in the fold BC is redundant and unnecessary); with some combination of ACC leftovers to form their SE pod to get to 24 (if that's the end-game). Gives UConn back OBE rivalries with WVU, Pitt & Cuse; plus post-raid rivalries with Cincy & Ville; a couple of AAC partners in UCF (ConFLiCT lives) and Houston; plus some basketball powers in Kansas, Baylor & a hoops-first Arizona.

Florida State, UVA & UNC end up in the Big Ten (which leaves the lights on for Notre Dame). The SEC scrambles to figure out what to do... potentially ending up with NC State & Virginia Tech, but Clemson finds itself uncomfortably without a P2 home, probably stuck in the Big XII SE quadrant with Miami, Georgia Tech & Duke. Wake & BC end up in the best of the rest conference the Pac-12 remnants form with Stanford, Cal, OSU, WSU, SMU and others. (If Utah realized it's Big Ten dream (which would mean the Big Ten gave up on Notre Dame for now) then the door opens for one of those schools to be the California outpost for the now coast to coast Big XII)

Big XII decouples it's media rights into a football & basketball/olympic sport setup. P2 firms up and stabilizes. Big XXIV ends up solidly as the middle iter; with the Pac-12 remnants a half-step down and the remaining G5s pretty far beyond that.. so much so the top-4 (SEC, Big Ten, Big XXIV & Best of Rest) separate into the Autonomous division and Division 1 consolidates the FCS and remaining G5s with a single championship for football and basketball. Probably about 84 teams wind up in the Autonomous Division.

I think UNC and Virginia get into the SEC. They are both cultural fits for the SEC. I'm not buying the B1G not interested in FSU and Clemson narrative out there.

I agree that BC will never be part of a major conference if the ACC goes away.

I still think that the ACC can survive, but it won't be anywhere near what it was in prestige and revenue.

Reaction Score
I think UNC and Virginia get into the SEC. They are both cultural fits for the SEC. I'm not buying the B1G not interested in FSU and Clemson narrative out there.

I still think that the ACC can survive, but it won't be anywhere near what it was in prestige and revenue.

UNC and Virginia are cultural fits? Have you ever looked at the license plates on campus at either school.

When UNC gets out, they can literally name their destination.

Reaction Score
UNC and Virginia are cultural fits? Have you ever looked at the license plates on campus at either school.

When UNC gets out, they can literally name their destination.

I agree that academically, UNC is much better than probably all SEC schools , my point was UNC and VA are both desired by the SEC.

I think both would want to be a part of the SEC

Reaction Score
I agree that academically, UNC is much better than probably all SEC schools , my point was UNC and VA are both desired by the SEC.

I think both would want to be a part of the SEC

Why wouldn’t they go to the B1G and get a bigger check?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
For the record, UVA is a better school (based on academic standing) than UNC.

Both are likely far closer culturally to the B1G than the SEC. Based on culture of alumni base and student body Va Tech & NC St are closer to SEC schools than UVA or UNC.

I doubt the SEC has much interest in either.

Reaction Score
Ideally UConn seems like a better fit in the ACC but they don’t seem to desire UConn for some reason. Some of the Big 12 desires UConn for some reason. It’s like dating. Go where you are desired, otherwise it’s a waste of time.
I agree UConn is a better geographic and academic fit with the ACC. I just can't see the ACC totally imploding. Sure Clemson and FSU will probably leave and UNC and UVA will be desirable to the B1G, but how big can these conferences get? I'm not sure there's any more room for additional schools. Having said that, I've given up trying to figure out the ACC a long time ago. If they were smart, they would have added UConn and Rutgers years ago and locked up the east coast for Miami to Boston. If the big 12 calls, I'm all in.

Reaction Score
If you are really serious about sports, it’s the SEC. There are no rules, no boundaries and no budgets.

Reaction Score
Florida State is not going anywhere. They program isn't that good anymore, it is not clear which of the P2 would actually want them, and if they were leaving and the ACC was about to blow up, the Big 12 wouldn't be talking to us.
"Their program isn't that good anymore"

Uhh, you realize they were undefeated all of last season and were legitimate national title contenders until their star QB got a season ending injury?

Reaction Score
"The program isn't that good anymore"

Uhh, you realize they were undefeated all of last season and were legitimate national title contenders until their star QB got a season ending injury?
Still good and will probably still make the playoff.

Reaction Score
For the record, UVA is a better school (based on academic standing) than UNC.

Both are likely far closer culturally to the B1G than the SEC. Based on culture of alumni base and student body Va Tech & NC St are closer to SEC schools than UVA or UNC.

I doubt the SEC has much interest in either.

I don't doubt the SEC has interest in UNC (I doubt highly that UVA is nearly as high on their wish list, in fact Virginia Tech might be higher than UVa in the SECs mind). UNC is probably their #1 preferred target out of the ACC, followed by Florida State (exclusive of Notre Dame). I think in general college presidents would prefer the association with the Big Ten and that academic community, which would be the edge for the Big Ten in landing UNC.

I think Clemson's move to join FSU is a hail mary to be a plus one with FSU to one of the P2. If they fail to land as a plus one, they are a school in a small market, redundant to the SEC, who is in danger of falling back to where they were in the 90s and early 2000s (pre-Dabo) where they were a good, but not elite program... if they aren't an elite program, their value to the SEC becomes nil and minimal to the Big Ten (which would put their ceiling at the Big XXIV).

Reaction Score

I don't get why Virginia's name is thrown out there so much. Crappy football program. They do have some basketball history and that one title but I never think of them as a great basketball program.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't get why Virginia's name is thrown out there so much. Crappy football program. They do have some basketball history and that one title but I never think of them as a great basketball program.
In Virginia’s case it’s about getting the Virginia market.

In UNC’s case it’s about basketball and the North Carolina market. Outside of Notre Dame there is no university that both P2 conferences want more and ND is not going to the SEC.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't doubt the SEC has interest in UNC (I doubt highly that UVA is nearly as high on their wish list, in fact Virginia Tech might be higher than UVa in the SECs mind). UNC is probably their #1 preferred target out of the ACC, followed by Florida State (exclusive of Notre Dame). I think in general college presidents would prefer the association with the Big Ten and that academic community, which would be the edge for the Big Ten in landing UNC.

I think Clemson's move to join FSU is a hail mary to be a plus one with FSU to one of the P2. If they fail to land as a plus one, they are a school in a small market, redundant to the SEC, who is in danger of falling back to where they were in the 90s and early 2000s (pre-Dabo) where they were a good, but not elite program... if they aren't an elite program, their value to the SEC becomes nil and minimal to the Big Ten (which would put their ceiling at the Big XXIV).
Agree with your assessment of Clemson.

I’m not sure Florida will be on board with approving FSU. But if the rest of the conference pushes hard it would happen. Don’t think they’ll push hard. The SEC is the best fit for FSU.

The BIG would love to have presence in Florida but FSU is not a fit academically or culturally and they certainly haven’t won any friends with their lawsuit. I lean to FSU going to the Big 12 and Clemson will end there as well.

UNC to the BIG.

Virginia to the BIG.

NC State and Virginia Tech to SEC.

Miami, Duke, Cuse, Pitt and Ville to BiG 12.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
"Their program isn't that good anymore"

Thanks, grammar Nazi.

Team didn't make the CFP and got lit up in their bowl game in the best season they had in like 8 or 9 years. That is the definition of "isn't that good anymore".

p.s. There is no easier troll on the Boneyard than to get a "UConn" fan pissed by criticizing another school.

Reaction Score
They didn't make the playoff because the committee knew that their QB was injured and they wouldn't be the same team, otherwise they were guaranteed to get in. The got lit up in the bowl game because literally all of their starters decided not to play. They were on a 19 game winning streak last season, the 2nd longest in CFB after Washington. I'd say that's pretty damn good.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Dream scenario? That would require some trades. I don't know why this is never discussed. UConn, Cinci and WVU belong in the ACC. So does Rutgers.

ACC has 18 counting ND
B1G has 18
SEC has 16
Big XII has 16

Let's say UConn and Memphis join that group with Oregon State and WSU to make it four groups of 18. How do you allocate the 72 schools?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
They didn't make the playoff because the committee knew that their QB was injured and they wouldn't be the same team, otherwise they were guaranteed to get in. The got lit up in the bowl game because literally all of their starters decided not to play. They were on a 19 game winning streak last season, the 2nd longest in CFB after Washington. I'd say that's pretty damn good.

Thank you for your interest in UConn athletics.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom