For Natalie Butler fans | Page 3 | The Boneyard

For Natalie Butler fans

Reaction Score
Recently read yet again about 100% graduation rate for UConn players since 1985. Annually someone chimes in with G to D story about being banned at Gampel until she finished her degree. How many nailed 3.3 or higher this past semester ? Look at that 2 year old engrossed with his clipboard and pen. A college education is more important than ppg. It’s a Geno, CD thing that your studies are a cornerstone to the program. The beauty is that most of their young players get it. Natalie Butler, UConn Husky National Champion and record setting player at George Mason University, gets it.
Great post!
Balance as human beings on top of their excellence in basketball is what they insist on.
Just doesn't and hasn't existed in this way maybe no where else in any sport female or male.
Learning to speak properly and intelligently to the press, high academic performance, doing community work for those less fortunate on top of all the national championships. WOW!
The expectations for the young women who are recruited and sign up for this, is both what attracts some of the very best players and then doesn't work for others.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
CBSSN often broadcasts A10 and when GM is on, the announcers go gaga over Natalie. They are fascinated by her. I think I have seen in mock drafts that she may go 2nd round. I do not know is she would stick but her buzz has risen to a level that I think she would have great international offers and to be honest, many of these international teams play a more team oriented ball which I think would be better than the uber athletic WNBA for her. The fact that she is into international studies just makes the fit even better. :D
You make a ton of sense!
Go Natalie! You deserve whatever you accomplish!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
There are so many biases that coaches and GMs (and fans) have that it is tough to say how they are going to view any such honor. But the mock draft that had her going at 24 I will predict is going to be wrong and she will go substantially higher, as much as a reflection of what she is doing statistically as for what honors she has garnered.

Agree fully.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
There are so many biases that coaches and GMs (and fans) have that it is tough to say how they are going to view any such honor. But the mock draft that had her going at 24 I will predict is going to be wrong and she will go substantially higher, as much as a reflection of what she is doing statistically as for what honors she has garnered.

You're a WNBA GM. It's draft day. You're on the clock. You need post player. You've got two choices, Butler or Mercedes Russell. Which one do you take? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
You're a WNBA GM. You're on the clock. You need post player. You've got two choices, Butler or Mercedes Russell. Which one do you take?
Interesting post. Prediction here is Nat is drafted about 20 but ends up having fun and making a good buck in Europe. See her doing this for 5-7 years, then pursuing another career.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
One seems to disappear in games, just standing around, trotting back on defense, trotting up on offense, taking plays off. I wonder which one that would be?????
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reaction Score
It's not even a choice if I was a WNBA GM I'd pick Natalie Butler in a heart beat!
Everything screams out at you over achiever! The upside is off the charts!
IMHO why take a "maybe" over a "sure fire hit"?
For Russell to achieve 1,500 points and 1,000 RB's it says what could she have achieved with a better work effort?

Carnac

Reaction Score
One seems to disappear in games, just standing around, trotting back on defense, trotting up on offense, taking plays off. I wonder which one that would be?????

:rolleyes: How many guesses do we get?!?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

Keep in mind Russell is playing for Holly and her non-offense scheme. Russell may be another Elizabeth Williams who did not thrill anyone with her play at Duke, however, in the WNBA with proper coaching and motivation she has become a very productive player. Russell was a very highly ranked player, #1 by some. Butler was not very highly ranked. Even though I follow Butler at George Mason, I would have to pick Russell with more upside and played against stronger competition. Thus far she seems to be past her foot problems.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Keep in mind Russell is playing for Holly and her non-offense scheme. Russell may be another Elizabeth Williams who did not thrill anyone with her play at Duke, however, in the WNBA with proper coaching and motivation she has become a very productive player. Russell was a very highly ranked player, #1 by some. Butler was not very highly ranked. Even though I follow Butler at George Mason, I would have to pick Russell with more upside and played against stronger competition. Thus far she seems to be past her foot problems.
And I appreciate your opinion and can't argue with what you believe.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Keep in mind Russell is playing for Holly and her non-offense scheme.

A lot of Tenn's offense is get it to Russell. They aren't very good at it at times, leading them to refrain from the effort in the second half, giving Holly material for her post-game presser, but it is a big part of their game and has been forever.

Reaction Score
George Mason has now tied it's all time season wins record with the help of the former Husky Natalie Butler. She of course had another double double (27 in a row). She had 23 points and 24 rebounds, a nice day's work.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
A lot of Tenn's offense is get it to Russell. They aren't very good at it at times, leading them to refrain from the effort in the second half, giving Holly material for her post-game presser, but it is a big part of their game and has been forever.
One thing I noticed in the few games I've seen Tenn play is that Russell is sort of passive - more of a finesse player. More than that, her passivity creates problems in that she does not "demand" the ball in the post. And in the somewhat rare situations where she does, the guards do not necessarily feed her there. Maybe that's usually what they do, but in the few games I've seen, she's not nearly as dominant as she should be...

It's always been a problem at Tenn historically. Post players usually only score on O-boards and putbacks. The guards would rather dribble around and jack up an off balance shot rather than work to find the open teammage, especially one of the post players who has worked hard to establish position and is calling for the ball...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
One thing I noticed in the few games I've seen Tenn play is that Russell is sort of passive - more of a finesse player. More than that, her passivity creates problems in that she does not "demand" the ball in the post. And in the somewhat rare situations where she does, the guards do not necessarily feed her there. Maybe that's usually what they do, but in the few games I've seen, she's not nearly as dominant as she should be...

It's always been a problem at Tenn historically. Post players usually only score on O-boards and putbacks. The guards would rather dribble around and jack up an off balance shot rather than work to find the open teammage, especially one of the post players who has worked hard to establish position and is calling for the ball...

It is hard to fathom as long as it has gone on. Russell just does not have the mentality to be an assertive post and that is why I would not waste a draft pick on her.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
On the Patriots Senior Day, GMU leads LaSalle 31-27. Natalie has 12 points and 7 rebounds.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Apparently, the coaches in the A-10 didn't expect much from Natalie. "Coaches placed Butler on the Atlantic 10 Preseason All-Conference Third Team out of respect." Now, the article says, she is easily the A-10 midseason player.

One of the biggest mistakes a fan can make, is assuming that coaches know what they are suppose to know, and know what they are doing. Remember, they ALL passed on Tom Brady 5 times during the 2000 NFL draft (drafted in the 6th round). They ALL passed on Russell Wilson twice in 2012, as they did with Joe Montana in 1979 (both 3rd round picks). Some coaches can see latent potential talent in a player better than others.

Jerry West was/is very good at evaluating talent. He traded for Kobe Bryant (Charlotte) right after the draft. Look how that worked out. They all knew about Butler, but I doubt any of them took the time to look at her play (film) during her time at UConn, or talk to any of Geno's staff. They simply went by what they saw and remembered from seeing her on TV during her time at UConn, which was certainly not indicative or suggestive of the potential she had, or the stats she's producing. They assumed she was just going to come in and finish her college career without any fanfare or notoriety, wrong.

George Mason head coach Milleson is graciously reaping the fruits of Geno's labor. The things that Butler is doing, the honed skills and the aggressive mindset she brings into a game, the player she has become, are ALL by-products of her spending 3 years at UConn under Geno and his staff. Milleson knows that, and is eternally grateful.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom