For Natalie Butler fans | Page 2 | The Boneyard

For Natalie Butler fans

Reaction Score
Natalie Butler now has 22 consecutive double doubles.
Natalie Butler.jpg

Reaction Score
Apparently, the coaches in the A-10 didn't expect much from Natalie. "Coaches placed Butler on the Atlantic 10 Preseason All-Conference Third Team out of respect." Now, the article says, she is easily the A-10 midseason player.

Reaction Score
Natalie's twenty-first consecutive double double gives her a tie for fourth longest streak of consecutive double doubles in NCAA history. There aren't a whole lot of players who could do that or they would have done it somewhere at some program. If it didn't take a good player to do it, it would have been done by more than four others.
What many, myself included, didn't understand about Nat's stats without seeing a few of her games is that she is doubled or triple teamed on virtually every play. GMason's guards are not strong and have difficulty getting her the ball. Most of Nat's stats are based on individual skill and determination.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
What many, myself included, didn't understand about Nat's stats without seeing a few of her games is that she is doubled or triple teamed on virtually every play. GMason's guards are not strong and have difficulty getting her the ball. Most of Nat's stats are based on individual skill and determination.

Not only are the guards not strong, but one of them takes a great many more shots than Butler, at a very poor shooting percentage. There's gotta be a better option than jacking up outside shots at 34% accuracy.

Reaction Score
Correct, she stated that UConn discontinued her masters course last year and George Mason had the course.
Recently read yet again about 100% graduation rate for UConn players since 1985. Annually someone chimes in with G to D story about being banned at Gampel until she finished her degree. How many nailed 3.3 or higher this past semester ? Look at that 2 year old engrossed with his clipboard and pen. A college education is more important than ppg. It’s a Geno, CD thing that your studies are a cornerstone to the program. The beauty is that most of their young players get it. Natalie Butler, UConn Husky National Champion and record setting player at George Mason University, gets it.

Reaction Score
Apparently, the coaches in the A-10 didn't expect much from Natalie. "Coaches placed Butler on the Atlantic 10 Preseason All-Conference Third Team out of respect." Now, the article says, she is easily the A-10 midseason player.
The preseason rating of Natalie was probably based on her stats for Uconn. If she threw up these numbers while a Uconn they'd have no choice but to make her preseason POY. I hope she makes it as the A10 POY, no one deserves it more. Couldn't happen to a nicer person.
Question for your astute-ness : How will A10 POY impact her rating toward WNBA?? Any/not at all??

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Recently read yet again about 100% graduation rate for UConn players since 1985. Annually someone chimes in with G to D story about being banned at Gampel until she finished her degree. How many nailed 3.3 or higher this past semester ?
I have no idea, all I know is that Molly had a 4.0.

Look at that 2 year old engrossed with his clipboard and pen.
What? A two year old with a clipboard and a pen could only mean one thing-a mess for someone to clean up.

A college education is more important than ppg. It’s a Geno, CD thing that your studies are a cornerstone to the program. The beauty is that most of their young players get it. Natalie Butler, UConn Husky National Champion and record setting player at George Mason University, gets it.
So who DOESN"T get it?

Reaction Score
The preseason rating of Natalie was probably based on her stats for Uconn. If she threw up these numbers while a Uconn they'd have no choice but to make her preseason POY. I hope she makes it as the A10 POY, no one deserves it more. Couldn't happen to a nicer person.
Question for your astute-ness : How will A10 POY impact her rating toward WNBA?? Any/not at all??
There are so many biases that coaches and GMs (and fans) have that it is tough to say how they are going to view any such honor. But the mock draft that had her going at 24 I will predict is going to be wrong and she will go substantially higher, as much as a reflection of what she is doing statistically as for what honors she has garnered.

Reaction Score
I have no idea, all I know is that Molly had a 4.0.

What? A two year old with a clipboard and a pen could only mean one thing-a mess for someone to clean up.

So who DOESN"T get it?
Too many people at NCAA, too many over-enthused fan bases, too many kids who don’t even know what they’re missing.

Reaction Score
Not only are the guards not strong, but one of them takes a great many more shots than Butler, at a very poor shooting percentage. There's gotta be a better option than jacking up outside shots at 34% accuracy.
:) a lot of rebounding opportunities?

While she might not have many minutes if she were now at UConn, Nat would a be welcome option in some situations when the going gets going...but that's sorta selfish thinking.

She is in a great place for her to be right now. Good for her!.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Too many people at NCAA, too many over-enthused fan bases, too many kids who don’t even know what they’re missing.
I don't know about that. The NCAA is a lsot cause. I wouldn't want every other fan base to try and be like our fan base. I would want every other kid trying to be like our kids. Our kids and fanbase wouldn't be a special so I'm ok with them missing out.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I wonder what were they looking at? Aren't coaches are suppose to see "untapped" potential in players. They couldn't see what Natalie could be/could do in another program a little less demanding? Natalie left the UConn program, but she took with her everything she learned there, and is putting it to good use.

She also brought with her something no one else in that program has, a national championship, along with the training and understanding of Geno's basketball principles it took to get it. She learned how to train and prepare to play UConn basketball. The coaches and players at George Mason all respect that. She's been to 2 final fours as a player. That (and the fact that she is probably the oldest player) is one of the reasons she is a team leader. She has UConn pedigree none of the other players/coaches have. That is a valuable and respected thing in the world of WCBB.

Butler's highlights at UConn
2016-17 Season
Saw time in all but one game for the Huskies, averaging 5.4 points and 5.0 rebounds in 15.9 minutes per contest ... Shot a solid 50.0 percent (82-164) from the floor and 68.9 percent (31-45) from the free throw line ... Swatted 34 shots and dished-out 37 assists ... Scored in double-figures six times, including a season-high 13 points in the American Athletic Conference Tournament quarterfinal win over Tulsa on March 4. Butler was 4-6 from the field and was a perfect 5-5 from the charity stripe on that afternoon against the Golden Hurricane.

Hauled in a season-high 10 rebounds to go along with 10 points in the American Athletic Conference Tournament final victory over USF on March 6. Her 10 points came on 4-6 shooting and four of her rebounds came on the offensive glass ... Was one-point and one-rebound shy of another double-double in the win over Memphis on February 25 ... Scored 12 points in only 18-minutes of action during the win over East Carolina on January 4. Her 12 points came on 5-6 shooting and went along with six rebounds and a season-high tying three blocked shots.

2015-16 Season
Suffered a thumb injury in the preseason and was unable to play until her debut at Cincinnati on December 30 when she scored 11 points on 5-7 shooting and snared eight rebounds in 15-minutes of action. Saw action in 27 games, earning one start and averaging 5.6 points and 4.0 rebounds on 55.9 percent shooting. Scored a career-high 20 points on 9-11 shooting against UCF on January 20 … Scored 14 points and posted her first double-double of the season with 10 rebounds against Cincinnati on February 17 … Saw action on all six of UConn’s NCAA Tournament games, highlighted by a six-point, eight-rebound performance during the regional semifinal win over Mississippi State, en route to UConn's 11th national championship.

2014-15 Season
Redshirt season in Storrs following her transfer from Georgetown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I wonder what were they looking at? Aren't coaches are suppose to see "untapped" potential in players. They couldn't see what Natalie could be/could do in another program a little less demanding? Natalie left the UConn program, but she took with her everything she learned there, and is putting it to good use.

She also brought with her something no one else in that program has, a national championship, along with the training and understanding of Geno's basketball principles it took to get it. She learned how to train and prepare to play UConn basketball. The coaches and players at George Mason all respect that. She's been to 2 final fours as a player. That (and the fact that she is probably the oldest player) is one of the reasons she is a team leader. She has UConn pedigree none of the other players/coaches have. That is a valuable and respected thing in the world of WCBB.

Butler's highlights at UConn
2016-17 Season
Saw time in all but one game for the Huskies, averaging 5.4 points and 5.0 rebounds in 15.9 minutes per contest ... Shot a solid 50.0 percent (82-164) from the floor and 68.9 percent (31-45) from the free throw line ... Swatted 34 shots and dished-out 37 assists ... Scored in double-figures six times, including a season-high 13 points in the American Athletic Conference Tournament quarterfinal win over Tulsa on March 4. Butler was 4-6 from the field and was a perfect 5-5 from the charity stripe on that afternoon against the Golden Hurricane.

Hauled in a season-high 10 rebounds to go along with 10 points in the American Athletic Conference Tournament final victory over USF on March 6. Her 10 points came on 4-6 shooting and four of her rebounds came on the offensive glass ... Was one-point and one-rebound shy of another double-double in the win over Memphis on February 25 ... Scored 12 points in only 18-minutes of action during the win over East Carolina on January 4. Her 12 points came on 5-6 shooting and went along with six rebounds and a season-high tying three blocked shots.

2015-16 Season
Suffered a thumb injury in the preseason and was unable to play until her debut at Cincinnati on December 30 when she scored 11 points on 5-7 shooting and snared eight rebounds in 15-minutes of action. Saw action in 27 games, earning one start and averaging 5.6 points and 4.0 rebounds on 55.9 percent shooting. Scored a career-high 20 points on 9-11 shooting against UCF on January 20 … Scored 14 points and posted her first double-double of the season with 10 rebounds against Cincinnati on February 17 … Saw action on all six of UConn’s NCAA Tournament games, highlighted by a six-point, eight-rebound performance during the regional semifinal win over Mississippi State, en route to UConn's 11th national championship.

2014-15 Season
Redshirt season in Storrs following her transfer from Georgetown.
Thanks for that. It brought back good memories.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
:) a lot of rebounding opportunities?

While she might not have many minutes if she were now at UConn, Nat would a be welcome option in some situations when the going gets going...but that's sorta selfish thinking.

She is in a great place for her to be right now. Good for her!.
Those aren't missed shots, they are backboard passes. The precise backboard pass is very difficult to master and apparently the GM guards are excellent at it.;)

Reaction Score
FYI - Natalie on CBS Sports Network now, with George Mason vs Saint Joseph's. Go Natalie.

Reaction Score
Mason beats St. Joseph's in Phila today. Natalie with 27 and 16. Still doing the double double thing.:)

Reaction Score
The Patriots won in Philadelphia, the George Mason Patriots, that is.

Reaction Score
It was great that Natalie had such a strong performance on a nationally televised game this week and garnered her sixth A-10 player of the week honor after she averaged 24.5 points, 16 rebounds, 3.5 steals, 3.0 blocks, and 2.0 assists in a pair of road wins last week.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It was great that Natalie had such a strong performance on a nationally televised game this week and garnered her sixth A-10 player of the week honor after she averaged 24.5 points, 16 rebounds, 3.5 steals, 3.0 blocks, and 2.0 assists in a pair of road wins last week.

CBSSN often broadcasts A10 and when GM is on, the announcers go gaga over Natalie. They are fascinated by her. I think I have seen in mock drafts that she may go 2nd round. I do not know is she would stick but her buzz has risen to a level that I think she would have great international offers and to be honest, many of these international teams play a more team oriented ball which I think would be better than the uber athletic WNBA for her. The fact that she is into international studies just makes the fit even better. :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom