Football Season Tickets "On Par" With Previous Seasons? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Football Season Tickets "On Par" With Previous Seasons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Let's get the money to add 10K more seats. Start the project today!!!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Well last year they sold 23,500 including the students... so do you think her 20k estimate in July includes students?

I'd say that whatever the number was at this time last year including the students is what it is this year, give or take 1,000 or so.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'd say that whatever the number was at this time last year including the students is what it is this year, give or take 1,000 or so.

So that would mean non-students are 12-14 thousand, the students are another 7 and they are 19-21 total.

Which is actually a pretty good number but posters were taking made up numbers and plussing them up to 27, 30.

Reaction Score
I think you're right. I just asked about season tickets, not student tickets. I'm guessing the total figure is around 25K right now. Really need to figure out a way to pump this number closer to or (better yet) over 30K. I know people are hesitant to buy tickets coming out of the Paul Pasqualoni era. I get it. But that is EXACTLY the reason to buy now. No more Pasqualoni! Our fanbase has been complaining about that guy for the past 3 years. Now that he's FINALLY gone, it's time to get back to supporting UCONN football. All of that excitement that we heard from UCONN fans at the time of Diaco's hire needs to come home to roost soon! Supporting football supports basketball (and every other athletic program) too.
UCONN needs to up it's game in Corporate ticket sales. Someone needs to pound the pavement calling on HR offices selling a combo of football and Bball packages. Companies could entertain clients and also give as performance incentives. There should never be an available sky box. UCONN football and basketball has great overall entertainment value. Simply have to sell it! I recently spoke to an HR director of a large corporation who told me they would love to get involved with UCONN. There is a point where marketing alone is ineffective and you just have to press the flesh!

Reaction Score
UCONN needs to up it's game in Corporate ticket sales. Someone needs to pound the pavement calling on HR offices selling a combo of football and Bball packages. Companies could entertain clients and also give as performance incentives. There should never be an available sky box. UCONN football and basketball has great overall entertainment value. Simply have to sell it! I recently spoke to an HR director of a large corporation who told me they would love to get involved with UCONN. There is a point where marketing alone is ineffective and you just have to press the flesh!

So, Confident Carl who at UConn have you told about this encounter with an HR director? In my opinion it would make more sense to do that than to tell us on The Boneyard.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
At the risk of offending some HR folks here...

No matter the role within the department, HR isn't filled with many decision makers. They may be the face of the company for an interview and they have their input points, but when it comes down to it, they are doers at the behest of management. Call HR to find out who you should actually talk to, which will typically turn out to be an executive's admin assistant.

Reaction Score
I can tell you that you are 2 tickets ahead of last year. After years of talking about it, my wife and I became season ticket holders this year. When there is conflict with a UMass game, she'll bring someone else as will I to the UMass game. I've had season tickets at UMass for years, but this year she wanted hers at UConn so this will work out fine. I'm looking forward to it. And before you ask, yes I wear UConn blue when I go to a UConn event (my wife told me I had to:()

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I can tell you that you are 2 tickets ahead of last year. After years of talking about it, my wife and I became season ticket holders this year. When there is conflict with a UMass game, she'll bring someone else as will I to the UMass game. I've had season tickets at UMass for years, but this year she wanted hers at UConn so this will work out fine. I'm looking forward to it. And before you ask, yes I wear UConn blue when I go to a UConn event (my wife told me I had to:()

Uh oh! Are we going to have to split you two up at Gillette? :)

Reaction Score
There is literally no way they have sold 20k season tickets without counting the students.

Really it would be nice but it's just not possible.

Rereading Dooley's original post he actually just guesses at what 'on par' might be. Nevermind, people ignored his '?'. Then later ignored the fact he was just guessing.

They sold 23,500 counting the students with Michigan on the schedule. If they get to 23,500 again that is a pretty solid result. 25,000 would be an incredibly positive result.

I think the Michigan game didn't inflate season tickets that much last year although the game probably encouraged season ticket holders not to cancel their tickets. The regime change will probably keep them interested this year as well. I do think the Michigan game inflated the number of 3 packs sold. Not sure if 3 packs are counted as season tickets or individual games. Our group bought the 3 pack with Michigan last year, although we usually do 2 games.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think the Michigan game didn't inflate season tickets last year, but the game did inflate the season 3 packs I would think. Not sure if 3 packs are counted as season tickets or individual games. Our group bought the 3 pack with Michigan last year, although we usually do 2 games.

I'm pretty sure they add up the minipacks and include in the number.

Reaction Score

I'd say your wife had good taste, but she did marry you. So I'm torn.

Reaction Score
So, Confident Carl who at UConn have you told about this encounter with an HR director? In my opinion it would make more sense to do that than to tell us on The Boneyard.

I have access to several folks in the administration and have personally let them know but ideas, just like football plays need to be executed . Talk as they say is cheap. The matrix/maze of UCONN athletics is not as easy to maneuver through as one might think. There are special interests groups, and also IMG contractual issues that need to be dealt with and cleared. All of the splinter groups would be better served to work together. That's what good leaders do. They bring diverse groups together for the common good.
Call it synergy, harmony, orchestration, etc. Ticket sales can and will improve. Winning certainly helps but more can be done. Ticket Master and the UCONN Web site are in the "Pull business" We need to get more into the "Push business" and drive business towards those sites.

To compound things ticket sales are down nationally, in part due to quality HD televisions and coverage. http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2013/college-football-live-game-attendance/

Corporations pay big bucks for season tickets for all the professional sports teams between Boston and New York. Several of my past employers had season tickets for Yankees, Redsox, Giants, Jets, Pats, Rangers, Bruins, etc.
IMO, UCONN provides great entertainment and is more affordable and convenient for Connecticut residents. We have a distinct advantage because there are no Pro Sports teams in CT. As stated in my original post. The value proposition needs to be positioned and sold more effectively to a specified corporate audience.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

No matter the role within the department, HR isn't filled with many decision makers. They may be the face of the company for an interview and they have their input points, but when it comes down to it, they are doers at the behest of management. Call HR to find out who you should actually talk to, which will typically turn out to be an executive's admin assistant.

In actuality, most Sales & Marketing Executives have control of the entertainment budget for the T&E portion. Trust me, they have money to spend, it's the allocation that needs to be addressed. The HR Executive I spoke with said they would love to get involved with UCONN. She indicated that the championship culture at UCONN is contagious and she wanted to capitalize on.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
In actuality, most Sales & Marketing Executives have control of the entertainment budget for the T&E portion. Trust me, they have money to spend, it's the allocation that needs to be addressed. The HR Executive I spoke with said they would love to get involved with UCONN. She indicated that the championship culture at UCONN is contagious and she wanted to capitalize on that.

And therein lies the rub. There is a sizable gap between HR expressing interest in UConn Football and the Sales force setting aside funds for a luxury box.

There are a few major differences between Football and basketball.

One major one is timing. The majority of football games do not take place during the work week. It is not difficult to extend a work day for a Thursday night basketball game, but many people with the sales and buying relationships use the weekends for personal purposes, whatever that may be (kids' activities, honey do lists, general relaxation, spouse not being agreeable that a football game is a reason to "extend the work week for a sixth day," given about 15 minutes out of at least 3 1/2 hours will be work). It can, has, and does happen. I'm just saying that it's less conducive.

Reaction Score
Thanks Drew, that's not a bad deal. My daughter goes to a school in the SEC and I bought her tickets last week for $38. The same price as it was last year.

I for one think it is great of you use your daughter's picture in your avatar!

Reaction Score
And therein lies the rub. There is a sizable gap between HR expressing interest in UConn Football and the Sales force setting aside funds for a luxury box.

There are a few major differences between Football and basketball.

One major one is timing. The majority of football games do not take place during the work week. It is not difficult to extend a work day for a Thursday night basketball game, but many people with the sales and buying relationships use the weekends for personal purposes, whatever that may be (kids' activities, honey do lists, general relaxation, spouse not being agreeable that a football game is a reason to "extend the work week for a sixth day," given about 15 minutes out of at least 3 1/2 hours will be work). It can, has, and does happen. I'm just saying that it's less conducive.

There is a family demographic that I would agree with however there are plenty out there without family issues to contend with. The 100 K plus teams fill their stadiums. Companies have Giants, Jets and Pats tickets. I was not simply speaking of luxury boxes either. The value of a UCONN football game can be sold and I believe it can be done in a personal face to face fashion rather than relying on the internet and emails. If done properly you would be surprised what could be achieved via a focused sales strategy.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's not easy to find people to attend football games in a work luxury box. You generally end up with the same people over and over.

Sarbanes Oxley also makes purchasing a box a headache.

Reaction Score
I called the UCONN ticket office this morning to buy and donate mini game plans to Military. On the phone, I asked the girl taking my order if she knew about season ticket numbers sold thus far and she said they're about on par for this time of year with previous seasons (around 20,000 sold?). I didn't talk to anyone who had access to the hard numbers and data.

She did say that they (UCONN ticket office) expect to see an uptick once the season gets closer and fans get to see/hear more of Diaco and the team.
I just noticed that seasons was plural. Maybe it's better than we think. I think that last year was puffed up by MI so a even a 10% improvement would be much better than I expected.

Reaction Score

If someone from Ticket/Group Sales is not calling on reasonably sized State Companies, "Promotions" in-hand, I take back all the nice things said about encouraging PR/Marketing/Sales efforts. Advertising without human follow-up will end up like the "The Yellow Pages" or something equally impersonal. I'll be shocked if Diaco is the only one selling the dream.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The HR Executive I spoke with said they would love to get involved with UCONN. She indicated that the championship culture at UCONN is contagious and she wanted to capitalize on.

I'm missing the point i think. Is this person waiting for UConn to call?

Reaction Score
Dude, you're OK in my book...

Reaction Score
I'm missing the point i think. Is this person waiting for UConn to call?

The lead was given but no one followed up with me with a report but then again, that's what professionals do. This is a much bigger issue than one Corporate Executive waiting for a phone call. A number of Universities have become very proactive in selling athletic tickets to new fans. Unfortunately, the Boneyard base is not going to get it done. Waiting for the phone to ring won't fill the Rent or the XL either.

IMG has a unit called IMG Learfiled Ticket solutions: http://www.imglearfieldticketsolutions.com/ Another firm is called the Aspire Group http://www.theaspiregroupinc.com/what-we-do.html that provides outsource ticket sales on a commission basis.

Here is a good article about Outsourcing of ticket sales rather than waiting for the phone to ring:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/spor...college-outsourcing-sports-ticket-sales_n.htm

Now do you get the point!

Reaction Score

HR never makes the decisions on sports tickets. Always a business unit guy. But you are on the right track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom