Floyd to reclassify to 2021 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Floyd to reclassify to 2021

Reaction Score
Before we go inserting him into the projected lineups, it's not clear whether he'll actually play this season. Redshirting seems on the table, and may not be the worst option. PT in the backcourt this year is pretty clogged up.

Reaction Score
Hurley alluded to anyone else coming in for next season needing to redshirt, which I think is best for everyone to get him ready for 2022. But at a minimum we have a capable player ready to step in if injuries happen which is why I always like using the full 13 scholarships

Reaction Score
Will be a great redshirt year for him. Love everything about this.
Yeah, I'm with you too. Between Gaff, Hawkins, Jackson, etc, lots of competition at the 2 spot. I'd prefer he takes a redshirt year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Update the grid!
1628785413987.png

@tcf15

Reaction Score
Before we go inserting him into the projected lineups, it's not clear whether he'll actually play this season. Redshirting seems on the table, and may not be the worst option. PT in the backcourt this year is pretty clogged up.

Hurley alluded to anyone else coming in for next season needing to redshirt, which I think is best for everyone to get him ready for 2022. But at a minimum we have a capable player ready to step in if injuries happen which is why I always like using the full 13 scholarships

I 100% agree someone should redshirt, but I find it hard to believe Floyd committed with the intention of redshirting (and he basically was quoted as saying as much). Not saying he won't end up redshirting, but I think the situation will be he's either going to earn PT or earn the redshirt -- I doubt that decision is already made today. Maybe Sool is the guy that ends up with the redshirt...

Reaction Score
I 100% agree someone should redshirt, but I find it hard to believe Floyd committed with the intention of redshirting (and he basically was quoted as saying as much). Not saying he won't end up redshirting, but I think the situation will be he's either going to earn PT or earn the redshirt -- I doubt that decision is already made today. Maybe Sool is the guy that ends up with the redshirt...
Rahsool is not redshirting.

Reaction Score
He’s a 17 year old starting college and giving up a year of being “a kid.“ He didn’t necessarily go through his junior year of high school mentally thinking it’s the last time he would do all the normal high school things. It’s easy to look back from the perspective of someone who’s been to college and decide what was personally better. Family, friends, having his senior year with his teammates and classmates, competing for a state championship with guaranteed playing time and certain accolades coming his way. Like I said, it an easy basketball decision, but he’s still just a 17 year old.
You bring up some great points. Speaking as a high school teacher, I wonder if the fact that this school year could end up being similar to last year in terms of masks, potential quarantining, potential remote learning, etc. played into his decision to move on.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I’m guessing he doesn’t play this season unless he’s an absolute shooting/scoring machine and you can’t keep him off the floor, barring serious injury problems.

Someone will have to chime in if that’s a possibility, because I don’t know the scouting report on Floyd that well. But I’d be pretty surprised if he doesn’t redshirt.

We are covered at every other facet of the game with more experienced players, except for an alpha consistent shooter/scorer. Maybe that will be Hawkins, or Gaffney or Cole. But it’s a huge unknown right now.

Either way, doesn’t matter. This is a Huge W for the future of the program and for Floyd at the age of 17.

Reaction Score
Will be a great redshirt year for him. Love everything about this.
Is he redshirting?

Floyd said he took several online classes this summer in order to graduate early. It remains unclear if he will redshirt this upcoming season or play with the Huskies.

Reaction Score
Coach said anyone coming in would need to redshirt. Corey said he’s going to see if he can contribute, if not he’ll redshirt.
Regardless, I think everyone, coach included can appreciate the mentality. Right now there’s no clear path to PT. That being said, coaches also don’t willingly sit players who contribute to winning. If he can move the needle, he’ll play. If not he’s a willing Redshirt

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not really. U get 5yrs to play 4. If he waited until 2022 and played as a frosh he still plays only 4 years
Worst case scenario he takes a RS year and has a year of understanding the offense and weight room work under his belt. That is a good thing. I appreciate his commitment. Your senior year in HS is a lot to give up.

Reaction Score
This, in addition to possibly burning a year of eligibility, always were the issue for me. I was thinking about him as a kid mostly. But if he's ready, it's great for the program considering he's just getting an extra year of work in.

If he does end up being a 4 year guy, a burnt year with very little playing time would suck. So let's hope he redshirts or contributes, no in between.

If he's good enough to play, he'll get minutes. If not, he will be playing a better brand of basketball in practice at UConn than he would be in high school. Either way it's a win for Floyd and the Huskies get a better more experienced player next year.

Reaction Score
He’s a 17 year old starting college and giving up a year of being “a kid.“ He didn’t necessarily go through his junior year of high school mentally thinking it’s the last time he would do all the normal high school things. It’s easy to look back from the perspective of someone who’s been to college and decide what was personally better. Family, friends, having his senior year with his teammates and classmates, competing for a state championship with guaranteed playing time and certain accolades coming his way. Like I said, it an easy basketball decision, but he’s still just a 17 year old.
Very good point about retrospection. He has no way of knowing that college is awesome, so, if he's enjoying high school, I agree with you that he could perceive himself as having to give things up. He's about to find out he made the right call, though!

Reaction Score
A year of eligibility, potentially. If he doesn't RS, he may wind up not getting very many minutes. Which would give him only 3 years of being a contributor. But I don't think any of these high-level recruits see themselves as 4-year players anyway...

This, in addition to possibly burning a year of eligibility, always were the issue for me. I was thinking about him as a kid mostly. But if he's ready, it's great for the program considering he's just getting an extra year of work in.

If he does end up being a 4 year guy, a burnt year with very little playing time would suck. So let's hope he redshirts or contributes, no in between.
Hurley said anyone classing up would need to redshirt, so I was making my comment with that assumption.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This decision wouldn't have worked for me at that age. But it sounds like he is chomping at the bit to get going. Apparently motivation won't be an issue for him. He'll have a top support system.

Reaction Score
Someone will get hurt and will work it’s way out. Kid is good enough to play.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
He will play only if there are injuries. Remember the adjustment is not just on the court but in the classroom as well. 17 is young. Hurley would be smart to redshirt him this year.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score

It tough to see where his minutes would fit in to this year’s roster but you can’t be mad at that attitude. It’s already a minutes logjam without him. Hopefully for him it ends up being a decision he feels good about.

Reaction Score
Floyd has so much potential… will be the same age as some freshmen as a junior.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom