Floyd to reclassify to 2021 | The Boneyard

Floyd to reclassify to 2021

Reaction Score
page la GIF

Reaction Score
This decision always made the most basketball sense. He had to decide if he wanted to give up some things, turns out he was willing to do it. Glad he’s here.
What did he have to give up, other than living at home? In my opinion, there is absolutely nothing that is good about high school that isn't 1000x better in college. (Not trying to start an argument. Just asking for clarification.)

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
What did he have to give up, other than living at home? In my opinion, there is absolutely nothing that is good about high school that isn't 1000x better in college. (Not trying to start an argument. Just asking for clarification.)

A year of eligibility, potentially. If he doesn't RS, he may wind up not getting very many minutes. Which would give him only 3 years of being a contributor. But I don't think any of these high-level recruits see themselves as 4-year players anyway...

Reaction Score
He’s a 17 year old starting college and giving up a year of being “a kid.“ He didn’t necessarily go through his junior year of high school mentally thinking it’s the last time he would do all the normal high school things. It’s easy to look back from the perspective of someone who’s been to college and decide what was personally better. Family, friends, having his senior year with his teammates and classmates, competing for a state championship with guaranteed playing time and certain accolades coming his way. Like I said, it an easy basketball decision, but he’s still just a 17 year old.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Wow. I knew this was a possibility, but I didn't expect it this late. I do think this sets us up better in terms of spacing out players at various positions. Especially with the possibility of Hawkins as a 2 year player. I don't expect him to play much this year, barring injury. I'm really doubting that Cole is back next year.

Reaction Score
Later than expected. Not sure if going through Peach Jam or getting a summer with the strength program and coaches would've been more productive. All's well that ends well, though!

I wonder if we'll redshirt him? Considering he's 17 and not an immediate candidate to go to the league, that might make a bit of sense.

Reaction Score
He’s a 17 year old starting college and giving up a year of being “a kid.“ He didn’t necessarily go through his junior year of high school mentally thinking it’s the last time he would do all the normal high school things. It’s easy to look back from the perspective of someone who’s been to college and decide what was personally better. Family, friends, having his senior year with his teammates and classmates, competing for a state championship with guaranteed playing time and certain accolades coming his way. Like I said, it an easy basketball decision, but he’s still just a 17 year old.
Agree 100%, I started UConn at 17yrs old and it was just too young esp for male brain. In contrast my children will start at 18 & turn 19 in their first semesters. Much better during and after college.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure how to feel about this. It's a good thing, but I wonder his impact given his age.

I'm not writing off this season, but this is a very positive factor for 2022-2023 and the following year has the potential to be special.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

This, in addition to possibly burning a year of eligibility, always were the issue for me. I was thinking about him as a kid mostly. But if he's ready, it's great for the program considering he's just getting an extra year of work in.

If he does end up being a 4 year guy, a burnt year with very little playing time would suck. So let's hope he redshirts or contributes, no in between.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, this was the right move for Floyd from a bball sense. Really nothing left for him on the prep circuit after the Peach Jam championship (not to mention that team losing its 2 other best players anyways). He'll now be able to practice in a much better environment and get the head start on his education.

I am worried about playing time -- which is crazy to say after the lack of depth we've had in recent years. As it slots out currently to me:

PG: Cole, Gaffney, Sool
SG: Jackson, Hawk, Floyd
SF: Martin, Polley
PF: Whaley, Akok, Springs
C: Sanogo, Johnson

Floyd is as combo of a guard as they come, so of course he will see time at the 1 and the 2 throughout his UConn career, but as for next year's team I don't see how he plays at the 2 over Jackson and Hawk or at the 1 over Cole/Gaff. It might be him vs Sool for those precious 5th guard minutes. With that said, no doubt Jackson will play at the 3 a lot too which opens up for some absolutely fun lineups for Hurley and co -- the options are actually limitless for how this team can look at a given time on the court, going big or small.

Long story short, this is super exciting for the program and having depth is such a luxury as we've seen from the outside looking in. I just hope Hurley can keep everyone happy as minutes will definitely be earned this season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom