Floyd to reclassify to 2021 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Floyd to reclassify to 2021

Reaction Score
we shouldnt be prioritizing future recruitment over making a final 4 run when the whole point of recruiting good players is to make a final 4 run. regardless, there is no elite PG available in '22 that we have a realistic shot at and recruiting another elite PG in '23 when diggins is a junior makes the most sense anyways.

i havent heard floyd described as a CG that can pass and run an offense like gaffney, he's a big bodied SG/W more similar to adams who also wasn't a CG
Agreed, this should be pretty obvious to everyone though I still cringe every time I see B. Adams name posted with Floyd's. I know you weren't comparing their games.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Corey can say whatever he wants. There's no way he's playing on a healthy UConn team next year.

Reaction Score
Alluded? He stated it forcefully and directly so no late addition would come in with expectations about playing time.

A full roster? That's fine when you don't have this level of talent.

Here's his quote: "With the team we have returning, I have no more minutes for anybody. It’s going to be a war for roles and minutes with this team. I don’t need anymore guys in here that are looking at me to put them in a game.
I believe when Danny made this statement he was already of the mindset Floyd was one of the incoming freshmen and if not a RS.
Do you think he would take a talent like Bouknight’s if it were to become available? Of course. There’s depth and then there’s “Difference Makers”.

Reaction Score
I hope Corey Floyd Jr is making the right decision. Hurley says any new players will have minimal playing time and may have to redshirt. Well good luck at UConn this winter Corey

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Floyd is a 2/3 combo guard more then a 1/2 combo guard like Gaffney. But not sure how Cole coming back would affect a '23 PG recruit unless I'm missing something. Cole is gone in either scenario by the time any '23 recruit gets to campus

Not 23-24, 22-23. Next year. Doesn't matter. It will be what it will be.

Reaction Score
Not 23-24, 22-23. Next year. Doesn't matter. It will be what it will be.
Ah gotcha, that's the 22 recruiting class. I think that's why so many assume Cole will be back is that we haven't recruited any 2022 PGs, and I really hope that's the case. I'd much rather Cole then a freshman on next year's team

Reaction Score
The bottom line is that we have more players who think they can help the team by being in the rotation than we have spots in the rotation. That is not a bad thing. But those who don’t play have to be willing to wait their turn, or if they don’t see a future where they have a turn be good teammates unless and until they leave.

No solution other than having less depth on the roster.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
This kid is wise beyond his years and is showing a great deal of maturity to make this decision.
  • He has to know he'll end up redshirting, but his determined mentality won't let himself really believe that it's happening, only so that he has no excuses in the back of his mind preventing him from going all out and getting better.
  • He knows his body type is nearly ready for the next level, but not his mind, skills, or his lifestyle. He'll have the opportunity to develop those aspects of his game/life so that he can hit the ground running next year.
  • His quote saying he's expecting to "humble himself" is admirable. He knows his style of play may not translate when playing against other grown men. He wants to challenge himself and better himself.
  • It takes some next level self discipline to forego another year of being a "kid" in HS where he would play a ton and likely succeed and win... in exchange for a grinding year of maturation, sitting out, facing adulthood with classes, D1 college schedule, etc.
Seems like a great kid to root for and one you want playing on your team.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I recall walking to classes in late January between the library and psych building in these exact conditions.
Watching walking up Hilltop on a windy day was always entertaining.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
At the end of the day, this was the right move for Floyd from a bball sense. Really nothing left for him on the prep circuit after the Peach Jam championship (not to mention that team losing its 2 other best players anyways). He'll now be able to practice in a much better environment and get the head start on his education.

I am worried about playing time -- which is crazy to say after the lack of depth we've had in recent years. As it slots out currently to me:

PG: Cole, Gaffney, Sool
SG: Jackson, Hawk, Floyd
SF: Martin, Polley
PF: Whaley, Akok, Springs
C: Sanogo, Johnson

Floyd is as combo of a guard as they come, so of course he will see time at the 1 and the 2 throughout his UConn career, but as for next year's team I don't see how he plays at the 2 over Jackson and Hawk or at the 1 over Cole/Gaff. It might be him vs Sool for those precious 5th guard minutes. With that said, no doubt Jackson will play at the 3 a lot too which opens up for some absolutely fun lineups for Hurley and co -- the options are actually limitless for how this team can look at a given time on the court, going big or small.

Long story short, this is super exciting for the program and having depth is such a luxury as we've seen from the outside looking in. I just hope Hurley can keep everyone happy as minutes will definitely be earned this season.

We were a 1st round out with a lottery pick playing. Anyone who didn't get better and gets beat out by freshmen deserves to sit.

Reaction Score
What did he have to give up, other than living at home? In my opinion, there is absolutely nothing that is good about high school that isn't 1000x better in college. (Not trying to start an argument. Just asking for clarification.)
Trying to win a state championship, prom, graduation with friends…all good stuff but he obviously agrees with your assessment.

Reaction Score
might see an uptick in frosh redshirts w/ the option to make 5 years worth of NIL money

Reaction Score
This kid is wise beyond his years and is showing a great deal of maturity to make this decision.
  • He has to know he'll end up redshirting, but his determined mentality won't let himself really believe that it's happening, only so that he has no excuses in the back of his mind preventing him from going all out and getting better.
  • He knows his body type is nearly ready for the next level, but not his mind, skills, or his lifestyle. He'll have the opportunity to develop those aspects of his game/life so that he can hit the ground running next year.
  • His quote saying he's expecting to "humble himself" is admirable. He knows his style of play may not translate when playing against other grown men. He wants to challenge himself and better himself.
  • It takes some next level self discipline to forego another year of being a "kid" in HS where he would play a ton and likely succeed and win... in exchange for a grinding year of maturation, sitting out, facing adulthood with classes, D1 college schedule, etc.
Seems like a great kid to root for and one you want playing on your team.
yeah some of these replies are crazy. What do you want the kid to say? "Yeah I'm not going to compete for a spot this year. I'm just gonna take a redshirt year"

That's not the kind of player Hurley recruits and it's not the type of player you want on your team unless there are extenuating circumstances.

The fact that he wants to compete for a spot but is realistic in his expectations is a very good sign.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Not saying it may be a bad thing but if the NCAA allows that crazy xfer rule to stand after the 21-22 season, UConn might be seeing a small exodus. Again, before someone reads something into my statement - it MAY not be a bad thing

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm with you too. Between Gaff, Hawkins, Jackson, etc, lots of competition at the 2 spot. I'd prefer he takes a redshirt year.
Hawks will make sure there isn't a competition - in his mind he is the best and after watching him for nearly 2 years - I agree
His 2 years at UConn will be special
Redshirt is a no brainer for Floyd - start school and practice ball with comp better than at any HS/Prep school - it will make him that much better

Reaction Score
Not saying it may be a bad thing but if the NCAA allows that crazy xfer rule to stand after the 21-22 season, UConn might be seeing a small exodus. Again, before someone reads something into my statement - it MAY not be a bad thing
it's not a one-off rule it's the new normal and we don't want anyone on the team next year to leave not even springs who will be a redshirt junior and a contributor on a final 4 team exactly as planned even if he's the 3rd string PF/C

Last edited:

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
With the UConn strength program he's gonna be looking like Lee Haney.
I didn't know who Lee Haney was so I looked up a pic:

1628878467018.png

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Worst case scenario he takes a RS year and has a year of understanding the offense and weight room work under his belt. That is a good thing. I appreciate his commitment. Your senior year in HS is a lot to give up.
Usually is a lot to give up but as said above with all the stuff still going on with Covid it could be another awful year in HS. I really like his attitude and he already has the body. Now we have even more depth. Very exciting.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Usually is a lot to give up but as said above with all the stuff still going on with Covid it could be another awful year in HS. I really like his attitude and he already has the body. Now we have even more depth. Very exciting.

That COVID point is a valid one - it's probably not going to be the typical senior year, he probably figures might as well get to work.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I guess we’re about to see if all those people who claimed he would already be the strongest person on our team were right (with a little buffer since they believed it during the last high school season)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom