Florida transfer Noah Locke | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Florida transfer Noah Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We play a lot of PnR in the half court, although our execution namely finishing at the rim hasn’t been great. Cole is about as good of a PnR point as you can hope for. He’s also a better defender than Gaff. Gaff is better at attacking the basket but all in all Cole is our best option. I forsee us playing them together a bunch anyway. Gaffney has adequate size to play off guard in conference.

Gaffney should play PG as little as possible. If Diggins can play right away, exactly 0 minutes. If he needs time, only when Cole is off the floor, and with as much of Andre to run the point forward slot as possible. He passes well, but he plays way too slow when he's forced to be the decision-maker for the team. He looks much better playing off-ball exclusively.

Reaction Score
Gaffney should play PG as little as possible. If Diggins can play right away, exactly 0 minutes. If he needs time, only when Cole is off the floor, and with as much of Andre to run the point forward slot as possible. He passes well, but he plays way too slow when he's forced to be the decision-maker for the team. He looks much better playing off-ball exclusively.
Totally agree.

Gaffney drove me crazy playing the 55-year-old YMCA pickup game point guard role, but I liked him in an assertive, attacking the rim role and despite what people want to say about his shooting, he shot at a 36.3% 3p% clip last season.

Between 1/23 and 3/20 he shot 13 for 30 (43.3%) from deep. Sure, small sample size, but still good numbers.

Positions are nebulous, but as best as I can see, the depth chart right now is:

4: Whaley, Akok, Springs
3: Martin, Jackson
5: Sanogo, Johnson
2: Gaffney, Hawkins
1: Cole, Diggins

A 6'3+ shooter (Polley or a transfer 2/3) and a depth true big are my most immediate needs right now (the big should be aware that he might not play any minutes in a given game, so a low-major big wanting a taste of high-major basketball is the best get for that).

Reaction Score
Totally agree.

Gaffney drove me crazy playing the 55-year-old YMCA pickup game point guard role, but I liked him in an assertive, attacking the rim role and despite what people want to say about his shooting, he shot at a 36.3% 3p% clip last season.

Between 1/23 and 3/20 he shot 13 for 30 (43.3%) from deep. Sure, small sample size, but still good numbers.

A 6'3+ shooter (Polley or a transfer 2/3) and a depth true big are my most immediate needs right now (the big should be aware that he might not play any minutes in a given game, so a low-major big wanting a taste of high-major basketball is the best get for that).
I’m still very unsure what to make of Jalen Gaffney. I agree he’s best playing off the ball and only filling in at PG for a few minutes at a time when necessary, due to fouls or injuries.

I wonder this. If there were a former four star recruit in the transfer portal who shot 36% from three and 82% from the line in a major conference as a sophomore, what would we think of that player? I want a transfer who can shoot as much as anyone, but the development of Gaffney and Jackson and the health of Akok are all going to be critical for next year’s team no matter what.

Reaction Score
Totally agree.

Totally agree.

With no new additions here would be my guess... assuming 25 minuts a game max per player, and I'm thinking these are the late year minutes. I am sure that the freshman will earn less early in the season. Though it will obviously work out so some guys are getting 30 and others aren't in tough games.

1. Cole (25); Diggins (15)
2. Gaffney (20); Hawkins (20)
3. Martin (15); Jackson (15); Shooter (10)
4. Whaley (15); Martin (5); Samson/Springs (5); Shooter (10)
5. Sanogo (25); Whaley (10); Samson/Springs (5)

Either Samson or Springs is getting only garbage minutes. I don't know who is will be so I'm lumping them together.

I'm assuming the "shooter" is big enough to play 3/4 like Polley did, and hoping it's him. We will see.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gaffney needs aggression training. Kobe used to box and I always thought it was part of his toughness training. He wanted to feel like he could kick your butt on the court and in the street. He was a bad ass and he knew it.

The staff needs to help Gaff find his inner bad ass. It’s so critical to his future. He’s much, much more talented and physically gifted than he is showing. His occasional drives and threes are beautiful and skillful. He has a nice jumper and a solid first step. We’ve all seen that he can jump out of the gym when he wants to. That bell needs to ring that tells him, “Attack, they can’t stop me”. That’s the only thing he needs to develop this summer.

Reaction Score
With no new additions here would be my guess... assuming 25 minuts a game max per player, and I'm thinking these are the late year minutes. I am sure that the freshman will earn less early in the season. Though it will obviously work out so some guys are getting 30 and others aren't in tough games.

Either Samson or Springs is getting only garbage minutes. I don't know who is will be so I'm lumping them together.

I'm assuming the "shooter" is big enough to play 3/4 like Polley did, and hoping it's him. We will see.
When you break down the roster minutes wise, you can start to see why a transfer may look at other options where the availability of like 25-35 minutes would be guaranteed for them. Or at least easier to obtain, probably what happened with Locke.

I get people here want to upgrade talent, no minutes guaranteed for anyone etc etc. I don’t disagree. Just gotta find the balance of developing young guys/having continuity within the roster & adding the right pieces to compliment that. Your list also doesn’t include Akok, he’s gonna be a big part of what they do.

Reaction Score
When you break down the roster minutes wise, you can start to see why a transfer may look at other options where the availability of like 25-35 minutes would be guaranteed for them. Or at least easier to obtain, probably what happened with Locke.

I get people here want to upgrade talent, no minutes guaranteed for anyone etc etc. I don’t disagree. Just gotta find the balance of developing young guys/having continuity within the roster & adding the right pieces to compliment that. Your list also doesn’t include Akok, he’s gonna be a big part of what they do.

Yep, whoops lol. That really will limit Samson/Springs minutes if he's ready to play.

Reaction Score
Diggins might be better than some people think. Such a thing as an on-court presence a la Khalid, Shabazz, Kemba, etc., that makes a team rise above the sum of it's parts. From all reports, Sool got the gene! :)

I remember reading, Khalid walked into his first shoot around, with that talent packed team, and just owned it.

Reaction Score
Serious question, because you have a better understanding about these things. Could Jackson be a pass first point guard and facilitator with Cole and Gaffney playing off the ball? How much would he have to work on his handle? Thanks

Reaction Score
Diggins might be better than some people think. Such a thing as an on-court presence a la Khalid, Shabazz, Kemba, etc., that makes a team rise above the sum of it's parts. From all reports, Sool got the gene! :)

I remember reading, Khalid walked into his first shoot around, with that talent packed team, and just owned it.
Sool has been sayin' he wants to be known as a UConn guard-- Could see him stepping up sooner rather than later.

Predicting he will be a BE season assist leader before he leaves our Program

Reaction Score

And you forgot Akok here....makes it even more difficult to find everyone minutes.

Reaction Score
Serious question, because you have a better understanding about these things. Could Jackson be a pass first point guard and facilitator with Cole and Gaffney playing off the ball? How much would he have to work on his handle? Thanks

I would think that a very good look for us (especially when Cole sits) would be Gaffney defending the 1 on defense with Jackson playing point forward in the half court.

Reaction Score
Great post. Was thinking the exact same thing. That’s a crazy hill to die on, bullish on us replacing Bouk’s scoring with one of the most timid Huskies I’ve seen in 30 years. I like Gaffneys game a lot but to say he’s going to replace a lottery pick is insane. His mentality is nowhere close to be a primary scorer. You gotta be a dawg.

our returning guards scare no one. we must have short memories of what UConn guards look like...Khalid, Ben Gordon, AJP, Kemba, Bazz, Boat.
Exactly

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I think the anti-Polley people have the wrong gauge on the issue.

Polley’s inconsistency has far more to do with how the coach’s utilize him on the floor and responded to how he was defended after his big streak in the middle of the Big East.

Polley is an excellent 3 pt shooter. His form is pristine.
He’s not going to take you off the dribble or stepback and create himself an open 3. He has done that on rare occasion but he’s more of a spot up guy. He was probably our best spot up 3 pt shooter on the team (you can argue 2nd half of the season Cole with me).
One of my criticisms with the coaching staff this year was not drawing up enough spot up 3s for Polley. They need to find a way to aim to get him 6-10 open looks a game.

We were limited offensively outside of Bouknight last season. So it made it that much more important to try to play to what little strengths we did have on offense. Bill Belichick’s greatest strength as a coach is not asking a player to do something they’re not good at, and always putting them in the best position to succeed based on what they’re specific strengths are.
We had too many ISOs and empty possessions in the games we lost.

Obviously if we had a 3 and D guy who could also create his own looks, then that saves the coaching staff immensely.

So therefore, give me Locke.

Reaction Score
Gaffney needs aggression training. Kobe used to box and I always thought it was part of his toughness training. He wanted to feel like he could kick your butt on the court and in the street. He was a bad ass and he knew it.

The staff needs to help Gaff find his inner bad ass. It’s so critical to his future. He’s much, much more talented and physically gifted than he is showing. His occasional drives and threes are beautiful and skillful. He has a nice jumper and a solid first step. We’ve all seen that he can jump out of the gym when he wants to. That bell needs to ring that tells him, “Attack, they can’t stop me”. That’s the only thing he needs to develop this summer.
Reminds me of “Gentle Ben” before he transformed into Ben Gordon, national champion.

Reaction Score
We were limited offensively outside of Bouknight last season.

Bouk was 100% our most talented offensive player, and IMO the others deferred to him too much. So many possessions resulted in Bouk going 1 on 5 and the rest of our offense watching. It made us super easy to defend, and Bouk's shots were that much more difficult. Not sure whether that was by Hurley's design, or if it just happened that way. I assume the latter. Either way, Bouk and our overall offense would've been much more efficient if we ran more offensive sets that got others involved and opened up the floor. I expect our offensive sets to look better next season. Whether the team produces is a whole other story.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
We play a lot of PnR in the half court, although our execution namely finishing at the rim hasn’t been great. Cole is about as good of a PnR point as you can hope for. He’s also a better defender than Gaff. Gaff is better at attacking the basket but all in all Cole is our best option. I forsee us playing them together a bunch anyway. Gaffney has adequate size to play off guard in conference.
I agree Cole is a better defender than Gaff for sure. I don’t think Gaff is definitively better than Cole but I really did like the spark he gave us coming off the bench which is my personal way of thinking on that. Let Gaffney get his confidence and know regardless Cole is great off the bench instead of vice versa. Having Cole as a inconsistent starter then having a shaky Gaffney off the bench.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I agree Cole is a better defender than Gaff for sure. I don’t think Gaff is definitively better than Cole but I really did like the spark he gave us coming off the bench which is my personal way of thinking on that. Let Gaffney get his confidence and know regardless Cole is great off the bench instead of vice versa. Having Cole as a inconsistent starter then having a shaky Gaffney off the bench.
I don't see Hurley taking the starting PG position away from Cole next season. He was pretty clear that he thought the team was best with him running point.

Reaction Score
This is exactly what I think. AJ - point guard on offense and guarding the 3 or 4. He pushes the ball better than RJ or Gaff.

Reaction Score
3. Martin (15); Jackson (15); Polley (10)
4. Whaley (15); Akok (20); Polley (5)
hopefully by conference play hawk and aj are starting and akok is up to 20 mpg. if so, not bad, not bad.

25- cole, whaley, sanogo
20- gaff, hawk, akok
15- digg, martin, aj, polley
5- samson/springs

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would think that a very good look for us (especially when Cole sits) would be Gaffney defending the 1 on defense with Jackson playing point forward in the half court.
Totally agree with all of this, it seems pretty clear to me Gaffney is a shooting guard, his handle is suited for the 2 where he can drive and shoot. It's been between the ears with Gaffney and I think part of that is not having enough confidence in his handle as a point guard. I expect Gaff, Jackson, and Sanogo to all make a significant leap next season.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So this post is nolonger about Noah Locke? Lol. Guess I'll looe for a post to say "Noah Locke to Uconn"..... or some other school
I thought it was already known that he is going to Lousiville.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
The folks down @ the Ville believe it's a Locke. The Nickleberry transfer is the clue apparently. Take a look.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210408-133921_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210408-133921_Chrome.jpg
    510.3 KB · Views: 201
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads