OT: - Florida State to sue ACC over GOR | Page 26 | The Boneyard

OT: Florida State to sue ACC over GOR

Reaction Score
I look at it like this…..ESPN could have extended the contract or accused FSU of committing a felony in a court filing for revealing trade secrets.

It looks like ESPN’s trade secret is really the way they fashion their conference agreements. The convoluted way the contracts are signed and the intentional confusion over the GOR/ESPN Agreement/Conference Bylaws seems to be one of their biggest trade secrets… and ESPN does not want it clarified. It’s the way they do business. This is at the heart of FSU’s complaint.

When FSU's attorneys discovered that the ESPN Agreement binds payments to the ACC only though 2026 unless extended (while members have been told it was through 2036)...well, it hit the fan.

Lawyers will dance and bill hourly rates, but it will be businessmen who determine where this goes...my bet is a settlement.

Reaction Score
It looks like ESPN’s trade secret is really the way they fashion their conference agreements. The convoluted way the contracts are signed and the intentional confusion over the GOR/ESPN Agreement/Conference Bylaws seems to be one of their biggest trade secrets… and ESPN does not want it clarified. It’s the way they do business. This is at the heart of FSU’s complaint.

When FSU's attorneys discovered that the ESPN Agreement binds payments to the ACC only though 2026 unless extended (while members have been told it was through 2036)...well, it hit the fan.

Lawyers will dance and bill hourly rates, but it will be businessmen who determine where this goes...my bet is a settlement.

I agree. This will likely be settled by the end of the summer. There is no way the ACC and ESPN want this to go to discovery.

This coming season will be the last that FSU is in the ACC. It's just a question of how much they have to pay to get out.

If I was placing a bet, I would bet that FSU settles and is announced as the 19th member of the B1G sometime in August, which will be one year after the announcement of adding Oregon and Washington.

From there, the ACC cookie starts to crumble. Maybe not in 2025 because no one else will be far enough along for such a quick settlement. However, I think 2026 will see major changes with most of the top remaining ACC brands going to either the B1G or SEC.

The crown jewel that the SEC will land is UNC.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I agree. This will likely be settled by the end of the summer. There is no way the ACC and ESPN want this to go to discovery
I'm sure they don't, but if their choice is to concede that their GOR is unenforceable or go to discovery, they're going to discovery.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Personally I think it would be hilarious if FSU ends up paying the $120 million departure fee and another $150-$200 million to buy back their rights only to end up in the B-12 when neither of the B-2 offer.

Reaction Score
Personally I think it would be hilarious if FSU ends up paying the $120 million departure fee and another $150-$200 million to buy back their rights only to end up in the B-12 when neither of the B-2 offer.
Or independent.

Reaction Score
I think that FSU has a home if they regain their rights. However, I also think that they might feel anything is better than Tobacco Road.

Reaction Score
Why would the bottom half of the SEC and the B1G want FSU in their conference? FSU would immediately go after those schools as not deserving equal revenue sharing. FSU would also be another huge obstacle for the bottom half of those conferences getting to the playoffs.

Reaction Score
Ultimately, it will be business...the networks will make decisions.

Why would the Big Ten want Notre Dame in the conference ?

Reaction Score
What may happen in P2 conferences may be akin to what is happening in the larger NCAA football universe.

With NIL unleashed, pay for play, etc.

With the NCAA, the problem is the all inclusive membershipand that the goals of the large schools don’t match the small schools.

Heretofore, The smaller schools could out vote the larger schools when it comes to violation priorities. And the NCAA sought to keep the smaller schools even with the larger schools… that was the priority of their violation investigations.

We will see an increasing dissimilarity between schools even in the same conference.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Why would the bottom half of the SEC and the B1G want FSU in their conference? FSU would immediately go after those schools as not deserving equal revenue sharing. FSU would also be another huge obstacle for the bottom half of those conferences getting to the playoffs.
Why do you think FSU would go after unequal revenue? The reason for unequal revenue is to bring teams closer to what the top paying conferences are making. They would be in one of the top paying conferences so no need to push for unequal revenue sharing.

As far as making the playoffs, why would it matter if FSU is in the Big10 or not to the lower half? Hint, it doesn’t. If FSU can bring more money and more visibility to their school, the presidents of schools like Indiana, Rutgers, Minnesota, Northwestern and Purdue will be thrilled. Throw in the fact that would be playing in front of a whole new state with tremendous recruits, the coaches will be all for it.

Reaction Score
Why do you think FSU would go after unequal revenue? The reason for unequal revenue is to bring teams closer to what the top paying conferences are making. They would be in one of the top paying conferences so no need to push for unequal revenue sharing.

As far as making the playoffs, why would it matter if FSU is in the Big10 or not to the lower half? Hint, it doesn’t. If FSU can bring more money and more visibility to their school, the presidents of schools like Indiana, Rutgers, Minnesota, Northwestern and Purdue will be thrilled. Throw in the fact that would be playing in front of a whole new state with tremendous recruits, the coaches will be all for it.
Competitive balance or even the illusion of it, has not really existed in college sports since their inception. This is for all sports not just football. Sure the names may change over time, but in any given time period there are only a handful of programs actually competing for titles. The schools know this, and most are happy to be part of the well paying show.

Rutgers, Illinois, and Minnesota aren’t competing for football titles in The B1G with or without FSU. If adding The Noles brings more TV contract dollars, more visibility to their programs, and greater access to recruiting both student athletes and out of state students to their schools that’s a win. The same argument being used against FSU could be used against UConn. Why would Penn State, Northwestern, or Nebraska want UConn Basketball in The B1G? Money and exposure.

Reaction Score

If FSU adds more value than their share, then everyone’s payout increases.

Reaction Score
I think that we are seeing the end of conferences as we have known them. The SEC is still fairly regional but I can see a movement to a single league of two divisions. NFL style. We could see a reconstitution of those divisions. Vanderbilt, Northwestern et Al could drop down.

Reaction Score
We go with FSU to the B20
Not craziest idea. We could agree to take significantly less and that extra money could be used by FSU to pay off their ACC debt while making more money than they would have by remaining in the ACC.

I suggested UConn offer to take less to join the ACC before CalFord and SMU agreed to do just and was told that was a stupid idea.

Reaction Score

Sooo...do the B1G and SEC add more mice to feed their pythons ?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not craziest idea. We could agree to take significantly less and that extra money could be used by FSU to pay off their ACC debt while making more money than they would have by remaining in the ACC.

I suggested UConn offer to take less to join the ACC before CalFord and SMU agreed to do just and was told that was a stupid idea.
Maybe we can cut their grass, too. I'd rather give up FB than pay FSU's buyout.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Why do you think that we didn't?

Reaction Score
Why do you think that we didn't?
We have always been reactive even if you want to argue they are proactive there is very little outside the box thinking.

Reaction Score
Maybe we can cut their grass, too. I'd rather give up FB than pay FSU's buyout.
Funny how Calford and SMU weren't this proud. The idea that our FB program deserves a full cut to any p4 league should be embarrassing. They let the program go to absolute dog water for a decade plus.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Funny how Calford and SMU weren't this proud. The idea that our FB program deserves a full cut to any p4 league should be embarrassing. They let the program go to absolute dog water for a decade plus.
Are you saying that Calford took the same deal as SMU? What did I miss?

Reaction Score
Are you saying that Calford took the same deal as SMU? What did I miss?

Cal and Stanford will receive a partial share of ACC Tier 1 media revenue for the next nine years before getting a full payment in the final three years of the conference’s deal with ESPN, according to a person familiar with the terms. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the ACC and the schools have not disclosed the finances.

Cal and Stanford will get a 30% share in the first seven years, followed by 70% and 75% the next years before getting the full amount, the person said. The schools will immediately get full shares of money from the ACC Network, the College Football Playoff, bowl games and NCAA men’s basketball tournament units.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom