OT: - Florida State to sue ACC over GOR | Page 22 | The Boneyard

OT: Florida State to sue ACC over GOR

Reaction Score
let's get it all out in the open

are you sure.gif

Reaction Score
The ACC is cooked here. Why did they file a preeptive lawsuit at FSU? These corrupt dealings weren't addressed before doesn't mean you can't address now. No way the ACC or ESPN can handle discovery going forward.

Look for a pretty low number settlement and exit. Others will exit and the ACC will be a shell of its former self.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur gave an update the other night. While he said some time ago that Miami was FOX's preferred #20 to go along with FSU, he said the other night that Miami is also the choice of the key Presidents who hold sway with other Presidents in the B1G ---- Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State and Ohio State.

It's looking like FSU will be #19 and Miami will be #20.

According to Flugaur, who has nailed everything that has happened since USC and UCLA joined the B1G......

The B1G's preference in order is:

1. Notre Dame
2. North Carolina
3. Florida State
4. Miami

Notre Dame is still showing no signs of giving up its independent status.

North Carolina has leadership in place that prefers the SEC to the B1G. Jim Delaney had key relationships with UNC years ago, but those people in power are all gone now and the current leadership prefers the SEC. North Carolina will likely end up in the SEC.

Apparently, Georgia Tech is not high on the B1G's list at all. I thought maybe planting a flag in Atlanta would get GT into the B1G, but it doesn't look like the B1G is interested according to Flugaur.

And the kicker in this all........

Apparently neither the B1G or SEC have Clemson high on their list of expansion candidates. Unless something changes, and it certainly can change as fast as things are moving, Clemson is likely going to end up in the Big 12 rather than stay in whatever the new ACC becomes. It's possible the SEC could add Clemson as a countermove to the B1G, but the SEC really, really wants in North Carolina and Virginia. The only question is if they have to take all 4 of UNC, NCST, UVA, and VT.

As Flugaur says,

Keep your head on a swivel. Holy smokes!

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur gave an update the other night. While he said some time ago that Miami was FOX's preferred #20 to go along with FSU, he said the other night that Miami is also the choice of the key Presidents who hold sway with other Presidents in the B1G ---- Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State and Ohio State.

According to Flugaur, who has nailed everything that has happened since USC and UCLA joined the B1G......

1. Notre Dame
2. North Carolina
3. Florida State
4. Miami

North Carolina has leadership in place that prefers the SEC to the B1G. Jim Delaney had key relationships with UNC years ago, but those people in power are all gone now and the current leadership prefers the SEC. North Carolina will likely end up in the SEC.

Apparently, Georgia Tech is not high on the B1G's list at all. I thought maybe planting a flag in Atlanta would get GT into the B1G, but it doesn't look like the B1G is interested according to Flugaur.

Apparently neither the B1G or SEC have Clemson high on their list of expansion candidates. Unless something changes, and it certainly can change as fast as things are moving, Clemson is likely going to end up in the Big 12 rather than stay in whatever the new ACC becomes. It's possible the SEC could add Clemson as a countermove to the B1G, but the SEC really, really wants in North Carolina and Virginia. The only question is if they have to take all 4 of UNC, NCST, UVA, and VT.

As Flugaur says,

Lmaoo how much is flugaur paying you to hype him up?

Reaction Score
Interesting posts over at the Miami board. The official document even uses this wording in post 14,584

"In 2005, the ACC extended a single invitation for a school to join the ACC as a new member. That invitation was extended to Boston College University ("Boston College"). At the time, Swofford's son, Chad Swofford, was working in the Boston College Athletic Department."

MEGA - Conferences to Watch Before it Gets Deleted (This time it's personal)

Reaction Score
Lmaoo how much is flugaur paying you to hype him up?

Ha! I love his show.

I have never called in, but I chat when he's live and I'm able to watch it live! Different screen name.

Big 12 Mafia is another good one!

Reaction Score

Maybe, but I don't think the SEC will allow the Big 10 to grab 2 Florida schools and leave them with one. It would really open up Florida recruiting for the Big 10. If FSU and Miami were in the Big 10 this year, the Big 10 would have signed 11 of the top 20 Florida players and the SEC would have signed 7.

Reaction Score
Maybe, but I don't think the SEC will allow the Big 10 to grab 2 Florida schools and leave them with one. It would really open up Florida recruiting for the Big 10. If FSU and Miami were in the Big 10 this year, the Big 10 would have signed 11 of the top 20 Florida players and the SEC would have signed 7.

FSU and Miami can make more money in the B1G than the SEC. They would be the crown jewels of the south in a coast to coast conference in the B1G, but would just be any other school in the SEC. Not to mention that FSU hates ESPN and the SEC to the point that I don't think a relationship can be built between them again. Meanwhile, Miami is basically a northern school in South Florida.

How can the SEC not allow it to happen? It's not up to them.

Also, keep in mind that SEC priority #1 is getting into North Carolina and Virginia, and that might require taking in 4 schools rather than 2.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

1. Notre Dame
2. North Carolina
3. Florida State
4. Miami

As Flugaur says,

FSU and Miami can make more money in the B1G than the SEC. They would be the crown jewels of the south in a coast to coast conference in the B1G, but would just be any other school in the SEC. Not to mention that FSU hates ESPN and the SEC to the point that I don't think a relationship can be built between them again. Meanwhile, Miami is basically a northern school in South Florida.

Also, keep in mind that SEC priority #1 is getting into North Carolina and Virginia, and that might require taking in 4 schools rather than 2.

I think a negotiation where B1G gets FSU and Miami and SEC gets UVA, VT, UNC and NCST would be done in about a second.

The hang up to me is I'm not convinced the B1G doesn't want UVA and VT to lock down the mid-atlantic and Wash DC area. Turtle doesn't do that alone.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I think a negotiation where B1G gets FSU and Miami and SEC gets UVA, VT, UNC and NCST would be done in about a second.

The hang up to me is I'm not convinced the B1G doesn't want UVA and VT to lock down the mid-atlantic and Wash DC area. Turtle doesn't do that alone.
I’m not sure locking down DC is a priority. Locking down LA was a thing, but I believe it was because Fox and ESPN wanted to damage the PAC. You can’t kill the SEC by taking 2 Virginia schools.

There are only a few spots left in the BIG and I believe FSU has one of them. UNC and ND will have spots no matter, but otherwise they are limited. The Virginia schools don’t bring much past academics and Olympic sports. If those were important, then Stanford would already be in the BIG. Miami confuses me a bit, but having 2 schools in Florida makes more sense than 2 in Virginia.

Reaction Score
Sure...that is what the ACC has done as well.

But...FSU is presenting the Raycom deal as an example of the ACC's malfeasance and fraud...along with just learned facts...such as being told that ESPN demanded the GOR extension when that was not a demand, such as the Commissioner signing a contract extension with ESPN without member notice or vote.

The depositions will be interesting...but it may not get to that...

Reaction Score

FSU would go to the SEC over the B10. They have played 2 B10 teams more than 3x, Maryland 23x and Nebraska 8x for a total of 47 games. They have played SEC schools 163 times including Florida and have played 10 SEC schools more than 3x. Plus, travel is much easier for all sports in the SEC.

Reaction Score
FSU would go to the SEC over the B10. They have played 2 B10 teams more than 3x, Maryland 23x and Nebraska 8x for a total of 47 games. They have played SEC schools 163 times including Florida and have played 10 SEC schools more than 3x. Plus, travel is much easier for all sports in the SEC.
Travel/proximity is basically meaningless in modern realignment/consolidation.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I’m not sure locking down DC is a priority. Locking down LA was a thing, but I believe it was because Fox and ESPN wanted to damage the PAC. You can’t kill the SEC by taking 2 Virginia schools.

There are only a few spots left in the BIG and I believe FSU has one of them. UNC and ND will have spots no matter, but otherwise they are limited. The Virginia schools don’t bring much past academics and Olympic sports. If those were important, then Stanford would already be in the BIG. Miami confuses me a bit, but having 2 schools in Florida makes more sense than 2 in Virginia.

B1G and SEC aren't trying to destroy or kill each other.

They want to absorb all the key remaining schools and figure out a detente outside of NCAA.

Reaction Score
Travel/proximity is basically meaningless in modern realignment/consolidation.
Disagree. The SEC has purposely kept their footprint tight. Closer geographies create more interest and better attendance.

I'm not sold that the Big 10's geographic footprint makes sense unless they break up into divisions/pods. Or, football breaks off and they create more regional conferences for every other sport.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
B1G and SEC aren't trying to destroy or kill each other.

They want to absorb all the key remaining schools and figure out a detente outside of NCAA.
Of course they’re not. They need each other to go where they want to. The idea of the Big10 locking down the DC area with the 2 Virginia schools doesn’t make sense to me. They don’t add anything they don’t already have. FSU is a much better prospect for the Big10 than the SEC.

I don’t buy the taking schools so other conferences can’t. There are only so many spots left and admitting someone that doesn’t add to what you are trying to do takes away from your purpose. The SEC needs to be more National. Yes, it’s a regional conference, but taking schools in states/ areas they already have doesn’t add to what they are trying to do.

Reaction Score
Of course they’re not. They need each other to go where they want to. The idea of the Big10 locking down the DC area with the 2 Virginia schools doesn’t make sense to me. They don’t add anything they don’t already have. FSU is a much better prospect for the Big10 than the SEC.

I don’t buy the taking schools so other conferences can’t. There are only so many spots left and admitting someone that doesn’t add to what you are trying to do takes away from your purpose. The SEC needs to be more National. Yes, it’s a regional conference, but taking schools in states/ areas they already have doesn’t add to what they are trying to do.
Capitalism 101

Reaction Score

Not so sure....

FSU has played 28 games with the SEC in the last 23 seasons...and 21 of those were with Florida..and 4 were bowl games...and FSU fans aren't enamoured with Florida anymore than VT was with WVU.

Reaction Score
The SEC has bee
Disagree. The SEC has purposely kept their footprint tight. Closer geographies create more interest and better attendance.

I'm not sold that the Big 10's geographic footprint makes sense unless they break up into divisions/pods. Or, football breaks off and they create more regional conferences for every other sport.
They've been able to because they've been dominant in the most important category - football. If not for that, they'd likely to have been forced to expand like the B1G has had to.

Reaction Score
The SEC has bee

They've been able to because they've been dominant in the most important category - football. If not for that, they'd likely to have been forced to expand like the B1G has had to.
The SEC is better than the Big 10 in football, men's basketball, women's basketball, baseball, softball, men's and women's track and filed, women's gymnastics,...

Reaction Score
The SEC is better than the Big 10 in football, men's basketball, women's basketball, baseball, softball, men's and women's track and filed, women's gymnastics,...
And yet all that matters is football.

Reaction Score
And the ACC may be better than both in some minor sports....if you count NC's as a measure. I did not count Maryland's NC's that they won while in the ACC.

Women's Cross Country...NC's in 2021, 2022, 2023

Field Hockey.....NC's in 2018, 2019, 2020, 2022, 2023

Men's Sovccer....,7 NC's since 2000

Women's Soccer....9 NC's sins 2000

Men's BB....7 NC's since 2000

Men's Lacrosse....9 NC's since 2000

Women's Lacrosse....5 NC's since 2000

(The SEC has been terrific in M&W'sTrack and Field, Gymnastics, baseball)

Reaction Score
The upshot of the FSU amended complaint (if factually supported) is the demise of the ACC. That's a good thing!

Reaction Score

Adding the combo of FSU & Miami could make sense to The B1G in terms of negotiating their next medial deal. The old paradigm was all about adding cable markets, but the current discussion is far more centered around brands. Down or not, Miami is still a name that can be sold with The B1G Marketing Machine behind it. Due to their proximity to talent, it is also a program that can be turned around relatively quickly under the right leadership. FSU has already made that difficult climb back to prominence.

Adding 2 teams in Florida allows the conference to stake a strong claim there for traditional cable carriage, obtain regular access to its fertile recruiting grounds, and provide two opportunities for relocated alums and fans to see their schools compete in person. It also adds another large population state to the mix which will eventually feed out of state students to the rest of the conference.

For years the belief was that the B1G desperately wanted UNC & UVA as a part of their future expansion plans. It could still be true, but it feels far less likely than in the Delany Era. While the conference would certainly love adding the crown jewel of The ACC Tarheels, UVA on the other had feels iffy to me now. If we're to believe that sports media is barreling full speed towards a streaming model that focuses on teams and matchups, what would you rather sell?

UM, OSU, PSU, UO, and USC vs FSU and Miami or vs UNC and UVA?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom