OT: - Florida State to sue ACC over GOR | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Florida State to sue ACC over GOR

Reaction Score
Then why even bother to sue in the first place? Also, doesn’t sueing the ACC mean, indirectly that they are sueing the other members? I think they end up making a lot of enemies, and recruiting could go into the toilet.

They are suing to reduce how much they have to pay. This will be settled outside the courts.

Reaction Score
Then why even bother to sue in the first place? Also, doesn’t sueing the ACC mean, indirectly that they are sueing the other members? I think they end up making a lot of enemies, and recruiting could go into the toilet.
That’s funny . They only ACC schools they care about are all on there side
UVA
UNC
Clemson
Miami
possible more are already looking for a life raft elseware .
That league is completely divided which in essence means the original concept is dead.
The ACC just made additions those schools opposed . Usually it only takes one team to black ball a prospective member.
You think FSU really cares what , Cuse , BC , Wake think at all or are even concerned that much with what,

Duke
Pitt
GT
VT
really think .
Those schools will beg for games with FSU when they’re in a P2 conference.
The league as we knew was already iver this only expedites the matter.

Reaction Score
That’s funny . They only ACC schools they care about are all on there side
UVA
UNC
Clemson
Miami
possible more are already looking for a life raft elseware .
That league is completely divided which in essence means the original concept is dead.
The ACC just made additions those schools opposed . Usually it only takes one team to black ball a prospective member.
You think FSU really cares what , Cuse , BC , Wake think at all or are even concerned that much with what,

Duke
Pitt
GT
VT
really think .
Those schools will beg for games with FSU when they’re in a P2 conference.
The league as we knew was already iver this only expedites the matter.

When you dilute your identity with outsiders this sort of stuff happens.

Reaction Score
I would think that Florida would try to block FSU into the SEC. The same with South Carolina with Clemson. Can they convince enough of the other schools to agree ? Best bet foe SEC to add North Carolina + Virginia .

Reaction Score
I would think that Florida would try to block FSU into the SEC. The same with South Carolina with Clemson. Can they convince enough of the other schools to agree ? Best bet foe SEC to add North Carolina + Virginia .

Yeah. They are redundant.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Does a state court ruling have the power over a big multi state entity? That’s like Texas trying to impeach the president, or California trying to take control of Hoover Dam. It’s silly. FSU should just pay the GOR and leave.

A real state with a real legal system, like New York or Connecticut, would kick the case to federal court pretty quickly, but this is Florida we are talking about. Florida is the worst state in the country to do business because its courts make up the law as they go.

Reaction Score
A real state with a real legal system, like New York or Connecticut, would kick the case to federal court pretty quickly, but this is Florida we are talking about. Florida is the worst state in the country to do business because its courts make up the law as they go.
I just can’t stand FSU’s collective conceit and arrogance. They think they’re Notre Dame south. They also were one of the ones that spoke the loudest when denying UConn’s entry into the ACC. I wish I had the address of every member of the BOT of FSU, if I did I’d mail each one a copy of “The Emperor’s New Clothes”.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
FSU is very upset at UConn's lawsuit. UConn set a disgusting precedent. How unworthy of UConn. UConn should be forever blackballed. Just think of it, a school suing their colleagues in another conference. No one does that. If you want to sue your colleagues, make sure you are in the same conference.
And don’t get Blumenthal involved.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Like Colorado.

Reaction Score
I had the fortune, or misfortune, of working in Florida's legal system on several levels...from drafting legislation and legal analysis to issuing judicial case decisions...Florida's system is much like other legal systems in other states, (not California) that are based on federal procedure.

Re venue...that may be the first salvo's fired in this fight...

I think that there will be no striking of the flag as FSU seems prepared to go down with the decks ablaze and all guns firing. Although it may be be a ploy to bring about a negotiated exit. ESPN and the ACC and CFP may not want the full discovery that will be sought.

In suits like this one, there is a First Filed Rule...Immediately after FSU announced that they intended to file a suit, the ACC did file a a suit in North Carolina (the plaintiff's residence is North Carolina). The ACC will contend that NC substantive law applies to conference issues given that that is where the conference is incorporated, headquartered and from where it governs.

There is an Anticipatory Suit exception. Florida’s second judicial circuit may not recognize the NC lawsuit as first-filed but as an anticipatory suit not deserving of deference. That would mean that the Florida court would likely proceed with the litigation and not defer or stay pending the result of the North Carolina litigation.

The Anticipatory Suit Exemption applies to federal court as well.

If the North Carolina Court does not agree to stand down in favor of the Florida litigation proceeding, you could end up with parallel litigation and dueling courts/lawsuits, which is a mess.

We had a similar dueling filings when Maryland and the ACC filed in their respective states. The judge explained in his decision...“The decision of the North Carolina Court and the decision by this Court could be similar to one another, could directly compete with one another, and/or could leave unresolved issues,”...

Davey stayed the rest of Maryland’s suit pending the outcome of the North Carolina case. Maryland is seeking to dismiss the North Carolina-based suit on grounds that the court there lacks jurisdiction.

Reaction Score
It's in the ACC's best interest to settle the suit. By settling, perhaps the exit fee is still too high for most ACC schools to leave.

By going to court, in addition to what comes out in discovery, the ACC could lose and every school can scatter to whatever conference will have them. The Big 12 will welcome most of what's left after the B1G and SEC get the big brands.

Settling the lawsuit means only losing FSU or a couple others if the settlement is high enough.

Reaction Score
Sure just loike Texas A&M protested the Texas add who they detest.
They were told to shut up and go to your room this is grownup business.

Reaction Score
The mode of two teams from a state has suited the SEC...Texas-Texas A&M...Ole Miss-Mississippi State, Alabama-Auburn.

Reaction Score
Sure just loike Texas A&M protested the Texas add who they detest.
They were told to shut up and go to your room this is grownup business.
I think Florida as an original member, has veto power that A&M doesn't

Reaction Score
It's in the ACC's best interest to settle the suit. By settling, perhaps the exit fee is still too high for most ACC schools to leave.

By going to court, in addition to what comes out in discovery, the ACC could lose and every school can scatter to whatever conference will have them. The Big 12 will welcome most of what's left after the B1G and SEC get the big brands.

Settling the lawsuit means only losing FSU or a couple others if the settlement is high enough.
A friend of mine (a Notre Dame alum) and former D1 player, tells me ND wants FSU to drop the suit and stay in the ACC. Interesting

Reaction Score
Of course ND wants FSU in the ACC. When the top brands leave, they know NBC will not be happy with the Wake Forest @ ND, Cal @ ND, SMU @ ND games that will have to be played more frequently. Or worse, new ACC teams from the G5 @ ND. NBC will not be pleased.

Reaction Score
Of course ND wants FSU in the ACC. When the top brands leave, they know NBC will not be happy with the Wake Forest @ ND, Cal @ ND, SMU @ ND games that will have to be played more frequently. Or worse, new ACC teams from the G5 @ ND. NBC will not be pleased.
Maybe if ND joined the ACC in football, that might solidify the conference.

Reaction Score
Maybe if ND joined the ACC in football, that might solidify the conference.
Actually, it wouldn't. ESPN is already paying the ACC for 2 to 3 (every other year) Notre Dame games per season. Adding ND to the conference would only add 3 to 5 ND games per season which is not going to close the financial gap with the P2.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I had the fortune, or misfortune, of working in Florida's legal system on several levels...from drafting legislation and legal analysis to issuing judicial case decisions...Florida's system is much like other legal systems in other states, (not California) that are based on federal procedure.

Re venue...that may be the first salvo's fired in this fight...

I think that there will be no striking of the flag as FSU seems prepared to go down with the decks ablaze and all guns firing. Although it may be be a ploy to bring about a negotiated exit. ESPN and the ACC and CFP may not want the full discovery that will be sought.

In suits like this one, there is a First Filed Rule...Immediately after FSU announced that they intended to file a suit, the ACC did file a a suit in North Carolina (the plaintiff's residence is North Carolina). The ACC will contend that NC substantive law applies to conference issues given that that is where the conference is incorporated, headquartered and from where it governs.

There is an Anticipatory Suit exception. Florida’s second judicial circuit may not recognize the NC lawsuit as first-filed but as an anticipatory suit not deserving of deference. That would mean that the Florida court would likely proceed with the litigation and not defer or stay pending the result of the North Carolina litigation.

The Anticipatory Suit Exemption applies to federal court as well.

If the North Carolina Court does not agree to stand down in favor of the Florida litigation proceeding, you could end up with parallel litigation and dueling courts/lawsuits, which is a mess.

We had a similar dueling filings when Maryland and the ACC filed in their respective states. The judge explained in his decision...“The decision of the North Carolina Court and the decision by this Court could be similar to one another, could directly compete with one another, and/or could leave unresolved issues,”...

Davey stayed the rest of Maryland’s suit pending the outcome of the North Carolina case. Maryland is seeking to dismiss the North Carolina-based suit on grounds that the court there lacks jurisdiction.

How is there any standing to sue in a state court here?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom