OT: - Florida State to sue ACC over GOR | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Florida State to sue ACC over GOR

Reaction Score
If Florida State and Clemson leaves the ACC, they will find a harder road to making the playoffs. The format allows for 12 teams now, not 4. Got to SEC and battle Georgia, Bama, LSU, Texas,Oklahoma, Tennessee every year will make it harder

Reaction Score
If Florida State and Clemson leaves the ACC, they will find a harder road to making the playoffs. The format allows for 12 teams now, not 4. Got to SEC and battle Georgia, Bama, LSU, Texas,Oklahoma, Tennessee every year will make it harder
Winning has nothing to do with this

Reaction Score
FSU was undefeated and they didn’t get into the playoffs. How can it get harder than that?

Reaction Score
FSU was undefeated and they didn’t get into the playoffs. How can it get harder than that?
If they hadn’t lost their QB, they probably would have been in. They did manage to win their last 2 without him, but not by the margins they had with him.

Reaction Score
amazing that as of now the ACC is only under contract thru 2027.
I complete understand why FSU would fight against a 2036 GOR potential payment when as of now there is no contract guaranteed past 2027.
May not work but what the hell

Reaction Score
Really, I’m no lawyer but a contract has to be freely agreed up not imposed under duress .With both parties subject to outlined or implied conditions required of each .
It also requires a basis in reality. and can’t be in violation of any laws like those impeding interstate commerce.
The GOR , and a $35,000,000 exit fee for a conference with minimal media deal seem to be in a grey area regarding all three conditions.
A judge will decide whetter the ACC. Violated the agreement or whether a real contract actually existed. Interesting case .
Minimal media deal?

It's huge. The damage to the rest of the conference is going to be considerable.

The Florida courts are going to rule for the Florida home team, but the ACC will just take it to North Carolina and they'll get a hometown ruling there themselves.

No TV partner is going to want to get into the middle of this fiasco. Although with the addition of SMU and Stanford, you know ESPN is itching to blow up the entire contract. They'd love it if 7 or 9 or whatever left. But they're not in the position of giving more $$ to whichever conference adds the new schools, and neither is Fox.

Reaction Score
Florida is the most plaintiff friendly state in America (Texas is a close second), so filing in a Florida court and trying to beat the GOR under state law gives FSU a decent chance to win. The precedent if FSU won would be devastating to businesses in Florida, so the court would have to split a hair that any ruling voiding a media sale contract was limited to FSU. But Florida courts have no problem with the precedent of “we are making this up as we go along”, so I think FSU is going to win.
I gotta tell you, I did backflips when I heard FSU got shafted in the playoffs. They think they got a raw deal, gee that’s too bad. I hope FSU sinks into Florida quicksand.

Reaction Score
Didn’t they play in multiple NC games in the last decade?

Ok, I googled it. In NC game 2015, 2016, 2018, and 2019. Won it in 2016 and 2018.

I would consider that previous success.
I would say that constitutes more than a “good run”. They also won a NC in the 80s. How many other programs have had that “good a run”.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’m no FSU fan, but I’ve never heard that they pushed to take Louisville over us because we were mean and sued people previously. They wanted a school that was a safer bet from a football perspective. Nothing wrong with that, other than it wasn’t in our interest,
I think that was most of it, but I also think that there was some pushback that FSU felt subordinate to the tobacco road schools. Part of it was FSU flexing its muscles.

Reaction Score
Minimal media deal?

It's huge. The damage to the rest of the conference is going to be considerable.

The Florida courts are going to rule for the Florida home team, but the ACC will just take it to North Carolina and they'll get a hometown ruling there themselves.

No TV partner is going to want to get into the middle of this fiasco. Although with the addition of SMU and Stanford, you know ESPN is itching to blow up the entire contract. They'd love it if 7 or 9 or whatever left. But they're not in the position of giving more $$ to whichever conference adds the new schools, and neither is Fox.
ESPN seems to imploding - numbers/viewership/down and their attempt to tilt scales during realignment is coming back to haunt them.

I love to see the 2 entities that put stuck us in the back (ESPN and ACC) are now seriously struggling and becoming the ”has beens” / outside looking in.

What goes round comes around as they say. love it and want no part of the ACC mess.

Reaction Score
Being a dork, I read the complaints. Obviously the venue matters, but the FSU complaint is pure dog$#*t. Lots of colorful language, but not much in the way of legally actionable claims. They make a pretty weak attempt to set up a claim of duress and breach of fiduciary duty. In a neutral setting, I’m not sure those survive a motion to dismiss. Maybe their competition-based claims have merit — I don’t know enough on that topic to say one way or the other. The ACC’s complaint is far better. Sets out a clear timeline and articulation for the relief they are seeking.

Still, I don’t think the ACC gets specific enforcement of the GOR. Exiting a GOR has always been about determining damages, and everyone that has looked at trying to break one has determined that it would be too expensive. My guess is they win, but their remedy is damages if FSU decides to leave.

Whoever suggested that FSU could try to argue that the GOR can’t be enforced against a state entity, that’s a loser of an argument. They warranted to the conference and its members that the agreement could be enforced against them. If they make that claim, then the ACC sues for breach of warranty, and the damages are pretty easy to calculate.

I’d love to see the chaos of FSU leaving the ACC without consequence. I don’t think it’s likely.

Reaction Score
Being a dork, I read the complaints. Obviously the venue matters, but the FSU complaint is pure dog$#*t. Lots of colorful language, but not much in the way of legally actionable claims. They make a pretty weak attempt to set up a claim of duress and breach of fiduciary duty. In a neutral setting, I’m not sure those survive a motion to dismiss. Maybe their competition-based claims have merit — I don’t know enough on that topic to say one way or the other. The ACC’s complaint is far better. Sets out a clear timeline and articulation for the relief they are seeking.

Still, I don’t think the ACC gets specific enforcement of the GOR. Exiting a GOR has always been about determining damages, and everyone that has looked at trying to break one has determined that it would be too expensive. My guess is they win, but their remedy is damages if FSU decides to leave.

Whoever suggested that FSU could try to argue that the GOR can’t be enforced against a state entity, that’s a loser of an argument. They warranted to the conference and its members that the agreement could be enforced against them. If they make that claim, then the ACC sues for breach of warranty, and the damages are pretty easy to calculate.

I’d love to see the chaos of FSU leaving the ACC without consequence. I don’t think it’s likely.
THe accusation that the ACC lied about the nature of the ESPN negotiations in order to get them to sign the GoR could be interesting. Discovery will show who showed what and when, but if there is an omission, and FSU can show that it might have materially impacted their decision to sign the GoR, or the extension, then it could get interesting.

I'll just have my popcorn ready.

Reaction Score
FSU has an undefeated football team, and it’s outside looking in on the football playoffs. There are those in the FSU administration that believe if they were in the SEC and Alabama was in the ACC, they would be in the playoffs and Alabama would be out. I think they probably have a point.

Guessing that was a final straw type of thing that probably helped initiate the suit. If nothing else it probably increases leverage for getting a bigger piece of the ACC pie if they have to remain.

This was the final straw. FSU is tired of being in a conference that does nothing for them, but the real problem is, is that bigger conferences are more interested in state schools like UNC and Virginia.

The ACC in terms of their revenue doesn't make sense. They have a bad deal and it's not going to improve any time soon.

IMO this is just a knee jerk reaction to not playing in the championship bowls.

They expanded to 12 teams, so next year FSU has a better shot, but with Texas and Oklahoma joining the SEC, it's possible that the SEC gets 5 teams or more in and with ND now with a seat at the table, those 8 extra spots may end up benefitting both the SEC and B1G, so FSU will do anything to break up the SEC.

I think they'll in for a surprise when other SEC teams get invited before they do.

I think the ACC is done and I will be glad to see them gone.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Programs that have abandoned their conferences have not fared well. I suppose there may be a couple of exceptions, but I just haven't seen success. I've seen the opposite

Colorado
Nebraska
Miami
Cuse
BC
Pitt
VA Tech
WVU
Mizzu
A & M

I mean, there's a rare occasional semi-decent season, but chasing titles and being highly regarded is toast at this point.

Miami was, emphasis on was, highly regarded in both football and baseball. Nebraska in football. Cuse in hoops. Pitt, VA Tech, WVU used to be on the fringe. BC wasn't always a perennial cellar dweller.

Karma? Recruiting? Geography? IDK

But we're going to see many more opportunities to test this process in the near future.

I know the schools are getting paid, but fans want to win

Reaction Score
Programs that have abandoned their conferences have not fared well. I suppose there may be a couple of exceptions, but I just haven't seen success. I've seen the opposite

Colorado
Nebraska
Miami
Cuse
BC
Pitt
VA Tech
WVU
Mizzu
A & M

I mean, there's a rare occasional semi-decent season, but chasing titles and being highly regarded is toast at this point.

Miami was, emphasis on was, highly regarded in both football and baseball. Nebraska in football. Cuse in hoops. Pitt, VA Tech, WVU used to be on the fringe. BC wasn't always a perennial cellar dweller.

But we're going to see many more opportunities to test this process in the near future.

You can add FSU. Imagine when every game is Clemson?

Reaction Score

Colorado
Nebraska
Miami
Cuse
BC
Pitt
VA Tech
WVU
Mizzu
A & M

But Financially those universities are better off.

It's about financial stability. If they get the right AD and coach they can easily turn things around, but you can't do that without money.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
But Financially those universities are better off.

It's about financial stability. If they get the right AD and coach they can easily turn things around, but you can't do that without money.

You mean we have their money?

Or UNC & Dook? In the very Conference they're complaining about? BTW: Clemson is in the ACC and won at football too

You would think be now one of those schools would have found the right AD or Coach, no?

Reaction Score
I’m no FSU fan, but I’ve never heard that they pushed to take Louisville over us because we were mean and sued people previously. They wanted a school that was a safer bet from a football perspective. Nothing wrong with that, other than it wasn’t in our interest,
Yup, I remember quotes at the time that FSU was tired of the Carolina schools calling all the shots and didn’t want another “northeastern basketball school.”

I understood that sentiment from their perspective. But adding Louisville because they were ranked at football at the time turned out to be extremely short-sighted and yet another horrible addition by the ACC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom