Five questions that will define UConn-Baylor next season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Five questions that will define UConn-Baylor next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I read on here once what Bird was rated coming out if HS. Can someone remind me? Seems that she wasn't top 10 but maybe I'm mistaken?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
FYI, Condrey graduated, so I can guarantee you that Prince will get more PT than Condrey does.

Washington will be a student coach this year. She is not making another run at playing after 4 ACL tears.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I read on here once what Bird was rated coming out if HS. Can someone remind me? Seems that she wasn't top 10 but maybe I'm mistaken?
Nope, not top 10. 19th I think? You're not comparing Prince to Bird now, are you?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Nope, not top 10. 19th I think? You're not comparing Prince to Bird now, are you?
IIRC Sue, or her parents, decided not to let her play for Mike Flynn's AAU team, or something like that. since he was in charge of rankings for Blue Star, he punished her by ranking her just inside the top 20. I'm not sure where she was per ASGR or AGR, who I think were the only other two ranking services at the time...

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I still say we lose the first game and then win the next one, and the NC.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score

It'll all boil down to who executes and who wants it more.

Nice that you shared your thoughts, and who's to say what the future brings? I certainly think it's fine for a fan to dream best-case outcomes, or simply have fantasies. So, I'm not going to assert you made a fool of yourself, except for: "Who wants it more."

This cliche really turns my stomach. Can you possibly think that at this level there is any variance in "wanting it"? It's true enough that the "best" team doesn't always win -- as both Baylor and UConn fans can attest.
So, why does that happen? There may be differences in confidence levels, or grittiness and perseverence, or preparedness -- and of course, in karma, luck, or the way the officials call the game -- but no team is going to have an edge on another team because they "want it more." That is a horrible insult to the losers, it seems to me. At least at this level, where everyone takes winning seriously.

Does anyone here in fact believe that phrase is anything other than a tired and ridiculous cliche? I'd enjoy hearing your case.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Nice that you shared your thoughts, and who's to say what the future brings? I certainly think it's fine for a fan to dream best-case outcomes, or simply have fantasies. So, I'm not going to assert you made a fool of yourself, except for: "Who wants it more."

This cliche really turns my stomach. Can you possibly think that at this level there is any variance in "wanting it"? It's true enough that the "best" team doesn't always win -- as both Baylor and UConn fans can attest.
So, why does that happen? There may be differences in confidence levels, or grittiness and perseverence, or preparedness -- and of course, in karma, luck, or the way the officials call the game -- but no team is going to have an edge on another team because they "want it more." That is a horrible insult to the losers, it seems to me. At least at this level, where everyone takes winning seriously.

Does anyone here in fact believe that phrase is anything other than a tired and ridiculous cliche? I'd enjoy hearing your case.
I hate that term. Well stated.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
"Who wants it more."

This cliche really turns my stomach. Can you possibly think that at this level there is any variance in "wanting it"?

Exhibit A:

Maya-Moore-11.jpg

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Of course not. Im not that foolish. Just pointing out that being higher ranked doesn't always mean that a player is better than a lower ranked player. Just using Bird as an example.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Yes, some players want it more. There are absolutely different levels of desire and effort just like there are different levels of talent.

DT wants it more than any player I've ever seen.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
It'll all boil down to who executes and who wants it more. :)[/quote]

Granted that "who wants it more" is an over used cliche, that doesn't mean that even at an elite level of play that this isn't sometimes an important factor in athletics.

I'm sure that we can all remember sporting events at the collegiate and professional level where after a highly favored team has lost, one of the losing coaches or players talks about the team not really wanting it, not really have the fire in the gut that particular day.

Even at our beloved Connecticut where grit and endurance are famously built into every practice, there are games when the team doesn't play with the same determination as it usually does. And we hear that afterward from the team itself.

There's probably a more accurate way to phrase the phenomenon of why some teams don't "rise to the occasion" (to throw out another cliche) than "who wants it more" since obviously, if you asked every player if they wanted to win, they'd say yes. But that doesn't mean that something intrinsic isn't taking place.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Coach Katy Meier (USA U18 coach) just threw a monkey wrench into much of this speculation. After raving about how spectacularly Breanna and Morgan played against Canada, she pointed out that in the second half she had Stewart "playing the 2" and Tuck "playing the 3." [direct quotes]

Maybe she is in cahoots with Geno by helping him to make sure that Kelly and Kaleena and Bria are not getting complacent.

The Bible says "The battle is not always to the strong, nor the race to the swift" (something like that), but Damon Runyon shrewdly added, "...but that's where the smart money goes."

I still like our chances.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
There is no player in WCBB and maybe the WNBA that can play like Breanna Stewart. The qualities she has and that will be developed under her UConns coaches tootleage with be something WCBB has never seen. To say shes a complete player and can do it all is an understatement. She can do alot more then any other player. Obviously our guests havent heard or seen Breanna in action over the years.

I have told this story many times and I will tell it again. I recieved a phone call from one of my reps who's daughters played AAU BB. They grew up with NYC greats Tina Charles, Dannielle Wilson and Kia Vaughn. When my buddy saw Breanna for the first time in an AAU game in NY he called his buddy Mike Flynn and Mike was in NY within 2 hours and signed her to the Belles. He told me he had just seen the best post player he has ever seen. Better then the 3 NYC greats. I said your kidding he said no. She can do everything . Then he told me she was still in junior high school. He said she can do everything better then anyone he had seen. He emphasised her ball handleing ad passing skills and not like a guard but a point guard. He said she can run the floor like a gazelle and with poise.

From what we've seen over the past 4+ years Breanna has seperated herself from everybody else. Under UConns coaching staff she will be further developed and playing on UConns team she will be able to shine. The players surrounding her will complement her and Breannas skills will be compared to the very best at every position. Her reactions and anticapation of plays can be compared to the very best who have played the game. Shes not just some big tall girl in the middle who has a pretty good outside shot and can use both hands. She does everything and a little bit more. No there is no one in WCBB that you can compare to Breanna Stewart. NO ONE.

Reaction Score
Remember she doesn't turn 18 until next week, so " The Best is Yet To Come".

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I have no doubt that Stewart will be an incredible college player, but given the fact that she has never played against any competition in the US that was not a high school player, we may need to hold off on comparing her to the likes of WNBA players such as Lauren Jackson and DT until we see her perform against WCBB players. I have seen her play, although not in person, and I agree 100% that she is the best high school player in the nation and may very well be top 5 in the nation in WCBB.

I am particularly pleased to see that Alexis Prince is the only US player to be in the top 10 in the following categories. She is demonstrating a tremendous all-around game.
  • Points per game
  • Rebounds per game (leads the US in offensive rebounding)
  • FG percentage
  • Assists
  • Steals (leads the US)
  • 3 point FG percentage
  • 3 point FG made

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I have no doubt that Stewart will be an incredible player, but given the fact that she has never played against any competition in the US that was not a high school player, we may need to hold off on comparing her to the likes of WNBA players such as Lauren Jackson and DT until we see her perform against WCBB players. I have seen her play, although not in person, and I agree completely 100% that she is the best high school player in the nation and may very be top 5 in the nation in WCBB.

I am particularly pleased to see that Alexis Prince is the only US player to be in the top 10 in the following categories. She is demonstrating a tremendous all-around game.
  • Points per game
  • FG percentage
  • Assists
  • Steals (leads the US)
  • 3 point FG percentage
  • 3 point FG made
If by WE you ean TonyC, you are correct.

Reaction Score
There is no player in WCBB and maybe the WNBA that can play like Breanna Stewart. The qualities she has and that will be developed under her UConns coaches tootleage with be something WCBB has never seen. To say shes a complete player and can do it all is an understatement. She can do alot more then any other player. Obviously our guests havent heard or seen Breanna in action over the years.

I have told this story many times and I will tell it again. I recieved a phone call from one of my reps who's daughters played AAU BB. They grew up with NYC greats Tina Charles, Dannielle Wilson and Kia Vaughn. When my buddy saw Breanna for the first time in an AAU game in NY he called his buddy Mike Flynn and Mike was in NY within 2 hours and signed her to the Belles. He told me he had just seen the best post player he has ever seen. Better then the 3 NYC greats. I said your kidding he said no. She can do everything . Then he told me she was still in junior high school. He said she can do everything better then anyone he had seen. He emphasised her ball handleing ad passing skills and not like a guard but a point guard. He said she can run the floor like a gazelle and with poise.

From what we've seen over the past 4+ years Breanna has seperated herself from everybody else. Under UConns coaching staff she will be further developed and playing on UConns team she will be able to shine. The players surrounding her will complement her and Breannas skills will be compared to the very best at every position. Her reactions and anticapation of plays can be compared to the very best who have played the game. Shes not just some big tall girl in the middle who has a pretty good outside shot and can use both hands. She does everything and a little bit more. No there is no one in WCBB that you can compare to Breanna Stewart. NO ONE.

Wow! Breanna has yet to play her first game at the college level, and you feel comfortable declaring that she is the Best Ever?

First, she couldn't possible be better than all other players at every position, right?

Second, do you really want to declare that she is better than Sue/Diana/Maya and that lady down-under, so quickly?

Third, do you really believe that she is a better shooter/scorer than Diana?

Lastly, it is an open question as to whether or not she is better at the 4 spot than Morgan.

I just assume that you never meant to compare her to any of the elite PGs!

Oh, I almost forgot the returning AA guard Bria, the shooting guard AA-in waiting KML and the post AA-in waiting Stef. Even before Breanna's name is called for her very first game at the college level you are declaring that she is better than all three of these proven contributors?

Since a place on the Wall has to be earned on the floor, we will have to wait and see how her career at UConn unfolds, right?

Peace,

John Fryer

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I have no doubt that Stewart will be an incredible college player, but given the fact that she has never played against any competition in the US that was not a high school player, we may need to hold off on comparing her to the likes of WNBA players such as Lauren Jackson and DT until we see her perform against WCBB players. I have seen her play, although not in person, and I agree 100% that she is the best high school player in the nation and may very well be top 5 in the nation in WCBB.

• Points per game
  • FG percentage
  • Assists
  • Steals (leads the US)
  • 3 point FG percentage
  • 3 point FG made
I am pleased that the Baylor fans think so highly of her game. One thing to keep in mind - per HG, there are at least 10 players ahead of her NOT on team USA. Per BS and ASGR, there are at least 4 players ahead of her not on the team. From what I've seen, she should be very good. But she's not one of the truly elite players in the class. Doesn't mean she won't be terrific for Baylor. And once Griner and Simms leave, she may well be the best player on Baylor's team. It remains to be seen how the recruiting for 2013 and beyond goes...

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Wow! Breanna has yet to play her first game at the college level, and you feel comfortable declaring that she is the Best Ever?

First, she couldn't possible be better than all other players at every position, right?

Second, do you really want to declare that she is better than Sue/Diana/Maya and that lady down-under, so quickly?

Third, do you really believe that she is a better shooter/scorer than Diana?

Lastly, it is an open question as to whether or not she is better at the 4 spot than Morgan.

I just assume that you never meant to compare her to any of the elite PGs!

Oh, I almost forgot the returning AA guard Bria, the shooting guard AA-in waiting KML and the post AA-in waiting Stef. Even before Breanna's name is called for her very first game at the college level you are declaring that she is better than all three of these proven contributors?

Since a place on the Wall has to be earned on the floor, we will have to wait and see how her career at UConn unfolds, right?

Peace,

John Fryer
You are really taking the time to respond to one of Tony's over the top, overly optimistic posts?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I am pleased that the Baylor fans think so highly of her game. One thing to keep in mind - per HG, there are at least 10 players ahead of her NOT on team USA. Per BS and ASGR, there are at least 4 players ahead of her not on the team. From what I've seen, she should be very good. But she's not one of the truly elite players in the class. Doesn't mean she won't be terrific for Baylor. And once Griner and Simms leave, she may well be the best player on Baylor's team. It remains to be seen how the recruiting for 2013 and beyond goes...

There are also quite a few who ARE on the team and ranked ahead of her who are not top 10 in all of those categories, most notable Tuck, Stewart and Jefferson.

I say it's more prudent to compare her performance with those who are on the team instead of those who aren't.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
We will all agree that TonyC is an optimist.

That occasionally causes problems for us skeptics. Like worrying how Massengale and DeShields will play as teammates at UConn.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score

Tonyc simply wants it more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom