FIU Post Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

FIU Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Being independent is actually a huge factor and definitely does more harm than good.
100%. It gave the perception that we cared about football less than our other problems. The AAC was a dumpster fire but we were at the bottom of it.

Reaction Score
At least being in a conference mentally gives players and coaches something to strive for, a conference championship, and it helps to develop rivalries.

The only prize UConn has to look forward to is a Wednesday afternoon bowl game.

Reaction Score
Having read all the responses on this thread it seems: 1. The coaching staff is to blame or atleast the OC, and maybe the whole staff. 2. The defense is to blame. 3 The QB is to blame. 4. The former coaches are to blame. 5. The recruiting is to blame. 6. The center on the OL is to blame. 7. The football program is unable to compete at this level. 8. The expectation going into this season was for a better record and play than last season. 9. The players are to small. 10. The players are to slow. As a matter of fact, it appears that those observations and more are true to some degree. Where to now? Quit....Fire the OC. Fire the HC. It appears the season will play out to small attendance. I myself, a positive person feel that the program needs some adjustments that would make a difference in the level of play on the field. That however seems unlikely at this point. Perhaps this site will strike onto something that can be achieved by the staff. Thanks for all your posts. "Old Guy" with much disappointment.

Reaction Score
This is factually incorrect...

On offense alone we had 9 former P5 players, many of whom were worthy of scholarships from high end programs, when the season began.

Senn (Colorado), Shor (Alabama), Jurgens (Boise), Stewart (Michigan) Hansen (Michigan), Roberson (Penn State), G Porter (ASU), Hoenig (TCU), Mitchell (Louisville)

Plus guys like Haynes, Joly & Ross (former Freshman All-American) who were clearly talented diamonds in the rough.

That doesn't even count legit 3X Star Guys like Rosa & Zach Drawdy who had offers from much better programs than us.

Zion was ranked higher than their freshman QB who killed us today...it's NOT talent.

It's coaching, schemes/ play calls and overall culture.
If you look at speed and strength on the field and you see a competitive group of players over the past 5-10 years (including today) you are lost. Our starting QB was a so-so player from Maine. Our receivers can’t get open. Our defenders miss tackles. We consistently recruit at the bottom of FBS, and former P5 players are exactly who they are regardless of where they started. Weaker FCS (non-playoff) teams regularly compete with us on the field and in recruiting. Our season is determined by Signing Day.

Reaction Score
If you look at speed and strength on the field and you see a competitive group of players over the past 5-10 years (including today) you are lost. Our starting QB was a so-so player from Maine. Our receivers can’t get open. Our defenders miss tackles. We consistently recruit at the bottom of FBS, and former P5 players are exactly who they are regardless of where they started. Weaker FCS (non-playoff) teams regularly compete with us on the field and in recruiting. Our season is determined by Signing Day.

By definition, the vast majority of our players are FBS talent as other FBS schools wanted them...idk what to tell you.

Go look at the class rankings in the Randy 1.0 Heyday....we never got super highly touted players, just has a great program.

If you want to say NC State has more talent than us...I agree.

But saying the reason we lost to GA St and FIU is because they are 89 & 97 on 24/7 and we're 106 in a class is wild because the difference between that is nominal.

If we only lose to teams with a clear advantage in talent this season we go 8-4 (NC State, Duke, Tenn, BC), so to me, there is something bigger at play.

Reaction Score

On offense alone we had 9 former P5 players, many of whom were worthy of scholarships from high end programs, when the season began.

Senn (Colorado), Shor (Alabama), Jurgens (Boise), Stewart (Michigan) Hansen (Michigan), Roberson (Penn State), G Porter (ASU), Hoenig (TCU), Mitchell (Louisville)

Plus guys like Haynes, Joly & Ross (former Freshman All-American) who were clearly talented diamonds in the rough.

That doesn't even count legit 3X Star Guys like Rosa & Zach Drawdy who had offers from much better programs than us.

Zion was ranked higher than their freshman QB who killed us today...it's NOT talent.

Also Noel Ofori-Nyadu 3 star with good offers from schools like Tulane and Boise St

Reaction Score
By definition, the vast majority of our players are FBS talent as other FBS schools wanted them...idk what to tell you.

Go look at the class rankings in the Randy 1.0 Heyday....we never got super highly touted players, just has a great program.

If you want to say NC State has more talent than us...I agree.

But saying the reason we lost to GA St and FIU is because they are 89 & 97 on 24/7 and we're 106 in a class is wild because the difference between that is nominal.

If we only lose to teams with a clear advantage in talent this season we go 8-4 (NC State, Duke, Tenn, BC), so to me, there is something bigger at play.
I’m not the only one mentioning how we look slow - skill players and tacklers especially. Our offense in particular has not produced because the talent is not there. The board will shout for firings re: scheme, incompetence, wearing red pants, etc. My point is that we are great at firing coaches, not so great at doing what’s needed to improve the size, speed and skill of the roster. When you see a class ranked over 100 and key skill players going out via the portal versus coming in, that equals a bad season(s) coming. Something is missing before we even turn the scoreboard on.

Reaction Score
I was really concerned when we didn’t bring in transfer WR and QB this off-season. Sure, we brought in FCS talent, but I was looking for clear upgrades. This, plus the pedestrian offensive schemes is why our offense is what it is. For example, notice how we never throw to the middle third of the field or have WRs run there. It’s like they don’t truly trust TR. The overall strategy seems to be don’t F up and hope for the occasional breakout run or miscommunication on defense.

With that said, I do think we have the talent to be at least win five or so games. Players like Houston, Rosa, Joly, and the oline should be utilized more. We’re not playing to what little strengths we have.

Would also like to see the freshman WR like Drawdy and Harper get some run based on social media highlights.

Reaction Score
That was one of the most embarrassing halves of football I ever witnessed. It was clear Mora was hot & ripped into the team at halftime (like he did the mic during the HT interview). The defense at least showed some heart in the 2nd half. The offense is just void of talent and good play-calling. Besides Houston, I see no player that has above-average talent & heart. The young QB is clearly not ready to lead a team (plus he's coming off an ACL). Not sure how much we can improve at this point. I can see 2, maybe 3 wins, if the team plays hard. We just need a talent overhaul, more speed, and better playcallers in the offseason.
The young QB? Are you talking about the our QB who is in his 5th year of college?

Reaction Score
Mora is a failure.
This from one who goes by Mora4Prez ????
You can’t hype up the program like this and then go 3-9. It’s over guys. Nice knowing y’all.
You have been here for all of a month and a half. Don't let the door kick you in the on the way out. :) If possible I would hold it open for you. May the rest of your life be healthy happy and nothing but joy.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Wide receivers can’t get open. Roberson struggles with accuracy. Charlton keeps running into an 8 man front. So much for the offense.

Defenders can’t make the first tackle. Defenders can’t get in the backfield. Defenders can’t make the opposing QB nervous. So much for the defense.

This is not a historically bad UConn team, but it is by all appearances a very, very bad UConn team.

What a disappointment.

Reaction Score
We brought something like 17 starters back from last year. And two QBs this year beat out last years starting freshman QB. And we’re not riddled with key injuries like last year. And our starting kicker from two years returned from injury to beat out last years excellent kicker.

So. Why are we worse?

Were our two graduated outside LBs and O-line center THAT good? Can’t be.

Even given that Charlton hasn’t improved his play calling or schemes, that same horrendous play calling and schemes last year still created more positive yardage and points than this year.

Why are we worse???

Reaction Score
The defense was obviously horrible in the first half, but the common denominator post-canceled COVID season is the offensive playcalling. It is absolutely taking us out of games. FIU had 2 huge TD passes. When the hell is the last time we had a 64-yard TD pass?

This team has the talent on both sides of the ball to do much better. I really think the coaching staff is not setting them up to succeed, especially Charlton. That guy is not the answer at OC. Roberson looked a lot better in the hurry up/two-minute offense. Why can’t we try to play more up tempo if we’re doing all this bubble screen stuff?

Being independent hasn’t hurt the program as much as terrible coaching decisions. I believe in Mora but this season is clearly a sign for concern so far. In year three, he needs to get a top notch OC that can really improve the QB position, since we’ve only had like 3 QBs worth a damn since Orlovsky 20 years ago.

Reaction Score
He’s a dud too. Don’t kid yourself. We haven’t had a good QB since Danny O and the ones who were potential good we ephed up good. We have teak problem evaluating QB talent.
Cochran and Pindell were good. If they didn't have to run for their lives constantly, they may have done some real things here.

Reaction Score

Its FCS talent. It's poor offensive coaching. And it's poor schemes. Culture? Maybe that too. Can't help but think back to NC State game: Rosa breaks a huge TD to get UConn back in game, then commits a "bonehead" somersault into endzone for 15 yard celebration penalty - pssssss, air out of UConn momentum. Yet when cameras flashed to him (and a couple other players on the sidelines), he was all smiles and acting happy. Dude should have been furious with himself and cussing himself out.

Reaction Score
Its FCS talent. It's poor offensive coaching. And it's poor schemes. Culture? Maybe that too. Can't help but think back to NC State game: Rosa breaks a huge TD to get UConn back in game, then commits a "bonehead" somersault into endzone for 15 yard celebration penalty - pssssss, air out of UConn momentum. Yet when cameras flashed to him (and a couple other players on the sidelines), he was all smiles and acting happy. Dude should have been furious with himself and cussing himself out.
Crazy how you think we have an FCS talent team… the problem is our OC is not creative and cannot install a west coast offensive system and stretch the field out. If Noel Mazzone can come for two weeks and help revamp our offense then what’s stopping Charlton doing the same? The deal is Charlton isn’t as good as mazzone

Reaction Score
I really don’t even understand how this team can be this bad. It makes no sense to me. Why could FIUs true freshman QB execute a passing offense but ours can‘t? Who cants we tackle? It’s truly bizarre.
Yep, somehow 2 FCS teams from the Northeast played better vs. Uconn's last 2 opponents than Mora's crew did....... Maine lost 14-12 @ FIU and URI put up 35 pts @ Georgia St and lost by 7....go figure ?...SMH!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You’re clueless.

Every coach on the team disagrees.
If you really prefer destroying every other sport at UConn just to save football, then let's just go to the Colonial. At least then fans will have actual rivals and be able to go to away games. Stop with this AAC bullspit. Sorry you can't stand having several P4 opponents on the football schedule each year or enjoying all those basketball tournament win shares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom