First order of business for Mora | Page 3 | The Boneyard

First order of business for Mora

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Last two games of the year ahead. Be interesting to see who shows us something. I understand and I agree many positional units haven't been given a full deck to play with either because of poor coaching or injuries. However, you can still see effort and at times football IQ in these lopsided games.

I hope Mora says absolutely nothing about his plans until the season is over. Let this finish out and stay quiet.

There are a ton of guys I want to see come back (emphasis on ton) ...but if we want to finally play some good football, not everyone can come back. Not everyone has upside.

Reaction Score
Even the 10th thru 15th OL would be an upgrade for UConn. Tell me that the first 3 QB's used by Clemson today wouldn't be an upgrade over what UConn has. Surprised if the portal didn't become clogged with QB's wanting to start right away at UConn.

Those 3 QBs for Clemson are never coming to UCONN.

Reaction Score
There is a competent QB on the roster in Tyler Phommachanh. He should be first on the depth chart heading into camp and Mora should work the transfer portal to get him competition.

Krajewski and Z both appear to be great teammates and hard workers, but neither are FBS players. They should not see the field for this program past this season.

Reaction Score
Dudes who are, or likely will be in the portal:

jarren Williams
Miller Moss
Spencer Rattler
DJ Ugaleili (sp?)
Jack Coan
Miles Brennan
Quinn Ewers
One of the Texas QBs

Mora’s last 2 UCLA QBs were Hundley and Rosen

And spare me the ‘Those guys aren‘t coming here’ BS. If we want to compete at the FBS level, we have to COMPETE FOR FBS TALENT.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
I watched the game. As soon as the ball was snapped there were at least 2 defensive players IN THE BACKFIELD. I don't care if Zac Prescott is back as our QB you have to have at least 4 or 5 seconds to throw. I was actually surprised at how Ryan Van Demark was so totally dominated . I am not saying our QBs are the answer but you have to let them have a chance to throw.
Is Zac Prescott related to Dak? I kid. Post was spot on otherwise.

Reaction Score
Get some QBs.
Second, get some serious OL help. All five positions.
Third get some secondary help; safeties, corners, dawgs of any kind. Need dawgs.

The body language, the energy, the progression of the QB position ( Tyler Phommachanh notwithstanding) is just wholly inadequate. Our scheme might be thin, but our QBs do themselves no favors.

Priority 1 and 1a.

Reaction Score
I will say that I admired the offensive game plan. They didn't come out conservative. They actually were aggressive and tried to catch Clemson off guard. Now....they didn't have the talent to pull it off. But it was more fun than watching run, run, sack, punt. Which you knew Edsall would have done.

Yeah I loved all the horizontal throws against defense that is faster than us.

Reaction Score
Taking the comments Dan O made about what he saw, when he was at preseason, about the condition of the team, it should be no surprise that the O line got their azzes handed to them, by Clemson. Time to start all over again. Unless there's a lot of o line player's in the portal who can make a difference, it's going to be another long painful season in Storrs.

He was talking about how the team looked when RE 2.0 arrived back in Storrs, not this preseason.

Reaction Score
Dudes who are, or likely will be in the portal:

jarren Williams
Miller Moss
Spencer Rattler
DJ Ugaleili (sp?)
Jack Coan
Miles Brennan
Quinn Ewers
One of the Texas QBs

Mora’s last 2 UCLA QBs were Hundley and Rosen

And spare me the ‘Those guys aren‘t coming here’ BS. If we want to compete at the FBS level, we have to COMPETE FOR FBS TALENT.
No chance Ewers leaves OSU before he has a chance at the starting job.

Reaction Score
Disagree. The QB's were pathetic,and while maybe better than Best Buy Salesman, there are many current high school QB's who would be a big upgrade. As for RVD, he should have been placed on the bench immediately, not to return to the field. No excuses, he got bullied and was helpless to do anything about it.
You simply can’t be that big and get manhandled like that. That’s a basic lack of physicality problem.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Bench #74 on the OL. Two successive plays should show any NFL people that evalhating him is a total waste of time. On the first play, a Clemson went past him like a football thrown behind a receiver, or more like he was a telephone pole. He never laid a hand on him. On the very next play, he got knocked on his like he was some kind of elementary school kid trying to stop a high school linebacker. How embarrassing for him.
One play the snap happened and he didn't move and why he got bulled over.

The offensive line needs a lot of help as the inside was pushed around all game long. The quarterbacks were gun shy to say the least.

The defense was solid most of the game but being on the field the majority of time as the offense goes 3 out the majority of time.

UConn need more team speed but that was a given and not make as many mistakes with stupid penalties whenever they seem to be moving the ball.

Lots of work to be done by Coach Mora and his staff

Reaction Score
I prefer we not crap all over individual players. The QB's can do better than Best Buy Salesmen with a UConn education.

RVD had a bad game but was up against a stud.

The bigger issue is the Giufre is way out of his depth here. The blocking schemes, play calls, etc- none of it makes any sense and if we know it and the kids know it, I bet the opponent knows it as well. Let's get through these last 2 games, get to Mora and let him decide who stays, who goes, and what is best for the program.

At least it wasn't cashiers at Piggly Wiggly

Reaction Score
Giufre might be a competent oline coach but he is clearly out of his depth as OC and I suspect that hurt his oline work too. We need new guys at both positions though.

Reaction Score
Our schemes on offense are terrible. Running wide on 4th and 2 with Mensah. Seriously? When our QB's had time they were not accurate. The last throw by Steve K even ticked off Marion. No chance to make a play when he was open at the pylon. There were many plays where our QB's never moved onto the second option on a pass play when they had time. Just a total mess on offense. But the thing that sticks out to me is the lack of physicality in our 10th game of the year. Our best LB's never bring down a RB one on one with no help. I mean really bringing the wood and knocking opponents back. Mora must see we lack top level D-ends as well. And the O-line with all the false starts and jailbreak pass protection efforts. Success in the run game is 70% physicality. We need to find it.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You are right. The QBs from Holy Cross was way better. These 2 probably won't hack it at FCS schools either. They should just go study hard and be sales people at Best Buy or something.
You can say that they aren't equipped to be QBs at this level and I will agree but to say:
They should just go study hard and be sales people at Best Buy or something.
That is a total BS statement and unneeded -

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The choices of OC sank PP (GDL), Diaco, and Edsall 2.0. That is why I wanted a proven offensive minded head coach. I’m willing to give Mora a chance, but if we go cheap on the OC hire or pick a GDL, Verducci, or Guifre, Mora won’t be successful.
What if he chooses Jason Garrett??? :rolleyes:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I don't think it's fair to judge the OL on this game. Clemson has and has had one of he best defensive fronts in all of CFB. This was always going to be the biggest mismatch on the field. As for Ryan, he was mostly stuck one on one vs a guy who may be an all-pro someday and got trucked several times.

OL play requires 5 guys playing together. Any single weakness blows up the entire thing. OL may be our biggest need, but this wasn't the game to be grading individuals.

Our QBs have had time to throw most of the season, they are just too slow on the read and too inaccurate. It's our run blocking that has been horrendous all season. Getting stuffed by Clemson looked a lot like getting stuffed by MTSU and many others. That is the case for upgrading the OL.

Reaction Score
OL are one of the easiest asks of the portal. There’s a lot of them since 5 positions and a few years of college can built competent and strong types that aren’t NFL level guys. Athleticism is nice and mandatory for great ones but you can get solid ones without needing rare talents.
1000% agree

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I don't think it's fair to judge the OL on this game. Clemson has and has had one of he best defensive fronts in all of CFB. This was always going to be the biggest mismatch on the field. As for Ryan, he was mostly stuck one on one vs a guy who may be an all-pro someday and got trucked several times.

OL play requires 5 guys playing together. Any single weakness blows up the entire thing. OL may be our biggest need, but this wasn't the game to be grading individuals.

Our QBs have had time to throw most of the season, they are just too slow on the read and too inaccurate. It's our run blocking that has been horrendous all season. Getting stuffed by Clemson looked a lot like getting stuffed by MTSU and many others. That is the case for upgrading the OL.
Pretend today never happened and the answer still is OL isn’t good. Fix that, run game improves, guy like Tyler Phommachanh can make things happen (though 1a is definitely to bring in some real college arms).

Reaction Score
Get some QBs.
Second, get some serious OL help. All five positions.
Third get some secondary help; safeties, corners, dawgs of any kind. Need dawgs.

The body language, the energy, the progression of the QB position ( Tyler Phommachanh notwithstanding) is just wholly inadequate. Our scheme might be thin, but our QBs do themselves no favors.
First - get an Offensive Line and a decent OC like we've been saying since 2019 and prior. Lashlee started to show us what was possible then bye bye. After that you can think about what a good QB might accomplish. Casey Cochran was the exception of a QB who could get rid of the ball fast enough to be productive. But he still took a lot of shots. Our QB's have been running for their lives for almost 10 years. Enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom