First order of business for Mora | Page 4 | The Boneyard

First order of business for Mora

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is THE worst game Krajewski played since he’s been here. It’s like looking at a different player than when he played against UCF, Vandy, Yale and even Purdue. So now he has a terrible game and you say he’s not an FBS quarterback, throw him in the portal, he shouldn’t play another season etc. etc. But Tyler Phommachanh plays two games and you guys make him sound like he’s Mike Vic. I hope Tyler Phommachanh heals fast and can play next season because I want to see what you clowns have to say the first time he throws a pick six and gets sacked four times a game. I wish all our QB’s good luck next season no matter where they land. Oh, and DJ, from Clemson, didn’t look much better than Jack Zergiotis and Steven Krajewski and he’s a 5 star quarterback.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Yeah I loved all the horizontal throws against defense that is faster than us.
I don't think they ran the ball the first two series. Thats what I mean by being aggressive. There was no way they were going to run on Clemson....so instead of giving up first and second down...they actually tried something different. It didn't work....but at least they tried.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's fair to judge the OL on this game. Clemson has and has had one of he best defensive fronts in all of CFB. This was always going to be the biggest mismatch on the field. As for Ryan, he was mostly stuck one on one vs a guy who may be an all-pro someday and got trucked several times.

OL play requires 5 guys playing together. Any single weakness blows up the entire thing. OL may be our biggest need, but this wasn't the game to be grading individuals.

Our QBs have had time to throw most of the season, they are just too slow on the read and too inaccurate. It's our run blocking that has been horrendous all season. Getting stuffed by Clemson looked a lot like getting stuffed by MTSU and many others. That is the case for upgrading the OL.
Let's be honest. The OL hasn't been very good against FCS competition even. We gotta do much better there. Every game, we're a false start away from stumping a drive, not to mention our inability to consistently pass protect and run block (that vanilla offensive play calling that we and the opposing team's D sees coming doesn't help matters).

Reaction Score
Let's be honest. The OL hasn't been very good against FCS competition even. We gotta do much better there. Every game, we're a false start away from stumping a drive, not to mention our inability to consistently pass protect and run block (that vanilla offensive play calling that we and the opposing team's D sees coming doesn't help matters).
You know what the recipe for a poor O-line is? Starting young players. The UConn starting OL today was 1 Sr, 2 R-So, 1 R-Fr, and 1 Fr. Even though the OL is young, the OC also is the OL coach so he is not devoting full time to coaching the OL. Plus, the offensive play calls and schemes make the OL look bad as well.

Reaction Score
Those 3 QBs for Clemson are never coming to UCONN.
Yeah, two of them have sideline seats for the entire time they are at Clemson. Plus years from now they can tell folks they "played ball" at 3 time national champion Clemson. Why stay at a school where you are not gonna play much. UConn is exactly the place for a good QB to make a name for himself.

Reaction Score
Our schemes on offense are terrible. Running wide on 4th and 2 with Mensah. Seriously? When our QB's had time they were not accurate. The last throw by Steve K even ticked off Marion. No chance to make a play when he was open at the pylon. There were many plays where our QB's never moved onto the second option on a pass play when they had time. Just a total mess on offense. But the thing that sticks out to me is the lack of physicality in our 10th game of the year. Our best LB's never bring down a RB one on one with no help. I mean really bringing the wood and knocking opponents back. Mora must see we lack top level D-ends as well. And the O-line with all the false starts and jailbreak pass protection efforts. Success in the run game is 70% physicality. We need to find it.
Agree with most. The D was more physical today and decent. There was a lot more gang tackling and people flying to the ball. Still, our LBs are poor. They didn’t get depth on passes and that burned us in the pass gave big time. They generally don’t take good angles and often have trouble getting off blocks. They just kind of suck at their positions and don’t have natural instincts or a feel for what’s happening. Physicality is a huge problem with the team pretty much everywhere.

Reaction Score
You know what the recipe for a poor O-line is? Starting young players. The UConn starting OL today was 1 Sr, 2 R-So, 1 R-Fr, and 1 Fr. Even though the OL is young, the OC also is the OL coach so he is not devoting full time to coaching the OL. Plus, the offensive play calls and schemes make the OL look bad as well.
That is the truth, most teams do not have a line up like that. Granted Clemson also have somewhat a young group too except they have a dual threat qb, a junior LT, Fr guard and junior guard, sophomore C and RT, but only difference is all of them are 300+. Our problem is scheme and play calling, but it is obvious when your center and RT get consistently beat it shows they aren’t ready to be on the field yet. Who knows they may turn out better next year because of the experience and working together as a group. I think people are quick to write off this group but fail to realize we played against a Clemson team that have been top 5 the past 6 years. Also forget top 2 Wr’s are not playing this year so even then the depth at WR next year will be great but every other position needs to get better.

Reaction Score
Krajewski is a capable QB. There is a lot of disdain for some of the current players that is totally off base. Our offense is trash. The players are not prepared nor are they put in position to succeed. I’d stop trashing anyone in particular and let the new coaches reevaluate. I think you might be surprised how some of these guys turn out in the long run.
He needs good coaching. Has Potential somethings are very good done not so much. It’s clear that good coaching hasn’t been here

Reaction Score
Ryan Van Denmark played himself out of the draft today, no question. But the problems were also indicative of poor coaching. When you see your LT get destroyed for a few plays, how about maybe having a tight end stay in for a double team or at least a chip before going out on route. Or maybe call 3 step drop passes. Or roll outs.

Our coaching staff has been absolutely horrible at making adjustments.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Beat UMass, we can go from there

Reaction Score
Yeah, two of them have sideline seats for the entire time they are at Clemson. Plus years from now they can tell folks they "played ball" at 3 time national champion Clemson. Why stay at a school where you are not gonna play much. UConn is exactly the place for a good QB to make a name for himself.
I agree with this. Very good quarterbacks transfer all the time if they don’t see playing time. Liberty has Malik Willis who came from Auburn. He’s an NFL prospect. There are a couple in the MAC. If a guy wants to play there is opportunity and a chance to play a really solid schedule. Probably superior to most G5’s. Michigan, NC State BC Syracuse. Lead your team to a couple of wins there and you will get recognition. Help turn things around and you you will get plenty of coverage.

Reaction Score
Get some QBs.
Second, get some serious OL help. All five positions.
Third get some secondary help; safeties, corners, dawgs of any kind. Need dawgs.

The body language, the energy, the progression of the QB position ( Tyler Phommachanh notwithstanding) is just wholly inadequate. Our scheme might be thin, but our QBs do themselves no favors.
The D has forced only three fumbles recovering two. Two games left but the FFs are unacceptably low.

Reaction Score
Both Jack Zergiotis and Steven Krajewski need to go play FCS. Outside Tyler P, we got nothing. We need to get at least 2 QBs from the portal along with whole new OL from the portal. We also need to recruit some OLs to develop. Getting some shutdown corners would help on D, but we really need to fix this offense mess. We got some decent WR talent along with Carter at RB, but we need a whole new OL and QB like yesterday.
Agree wholeheartedly on Jack Zergiotis but Krajewski is a good passing QB if there isn’t a defender in his face on every play. If he has the time he can thread the needle. He also is not afraid to run with ball, and lastly he’s not afraid to block on a single wing handoff. His biggest liability is his decision making when he’s almost constantly under pressure. I think if he has a better offensive line and makes better decisions those interceptions will disappear. His passing accuracy is among the best I’ve ever seen for a UConn QB on a long ball. Where he gets into trouble is on crossing routes with defenders coming at him. What Steven Krajewski needs is better coaching/teaching and hopefully he has that after Nov 28th. The guy was recruited by Rhett Lashlee, and Steven Krajewski chose us over BC and Syracuse among others.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
DJ from Clemson did not look good. Taisun played much better. Makes you thing maybe he gets tired of sitting when he should be playing.
DJ is injured. He shouldn’t have been in there, the announcers said he was about 60 or 70%.

Reaction Score
Ryan Van Denmark played himself out of the draft today, no question. But the problems were also indicative of poor coaching. When you see your LT get destroyed for a few plays, how about maybe having a tight end stay in for a double team or at least a chip before going out on route. Or maybe call 3 step drop passes. Or roll outs.

Our coaching staff has been absolutely horrible at making adjustments.
That’s a great points. Or, move your RB to the other side to help pick up the outside speed rush or go under center. These guys are morons.

Reaction Score
I don't think they ran the ball the first two series. Thats what I mean by being aggressive. There was no way they were going to run on Clemson....so instead of giving up first and second down...they actually tried something different. It didn't work....but at least they tried.

Yeah. It’s hard to watch. They start out sort of strong and then the defense figures them out and the slaughter commences.

Reaction Score
While your second statement is undeniable the first is speculative.
He put a very bad game on tape - he got destroyed. I still think he gets invited to camp but can’t see him being drafted now.

Reaction Score
He put a very bad game on tape - he got destroyed. I still think he gets invited to camp but can’t see him being drafted now.
Its one game, but boy was he abused. Peart had a similar hard time against the Syracuse DEs but i don't remember him getting run through like Ryan was yesterday.

Reaction Score
Ryan V-D is a stud and will play in the NFL. He's got the size to succeed, something that cannot be coached. What he needs is a coach that can help him with technique and a S/C coach that can help him maximize his frame.
Sorry, he’s not remotely capable of playing in the NFL. He should be, but isn’t.. Certainly technique improvements will help, but its a physicality problem. Getting dumped on your butt on a bull rush should never happen.

Reaction Score
well ... I'd opine that there is a qualitative difference between Syracuse and Clemson on the DLine. Today and yesterday. Didn't like 4 Clemson DLine guys get drafted in the first 50 players recently?

However the point is solid: Van Demark & Peart are gifted development examples of what a Northeast State U can find and grow. The production yesterday was a case study; and RVD didn't perform well.

Reaction Score
well ... I'd opine that there is a qualitative difference between Syracuse and Clemson on the DLine. Today and yesterday. Didn't like 4 Clemson DLine guys get drafted in the first 50 players recently?

However the point is solid: Van Demark & Peart are gifted development examples of what a Northeast State U can find and grow. The production yesterday was a case study; and RVD didn't perform well.
Not every NFL frame produces an NFL player, and sometimes they come from the least expected places.. i.e. Ali Marpet (Hobart College), all pro, average frame, exceedingly talented and more will power. We can find guys that will battle. We just need competent coaches that know what they are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom