First order of business for Mora | Page 2 | The Boneyard

First order of business for Mora

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Krajewski is a capable QB. There is a lot of disdain for some of the current players that is totally off base. Our offense is trash. The players are not prepared nor are they put in position to succeed. I’d stop trashing anyone in particular and let the new coaches reevaluate. I think you might be surprised how some of these guys turn out in the long run.

Reaction Score
I watched the game. As soon as the ball was snapped there were at least 2 defensive players IN THE BACKFIELD. I don't care if Zac Prescott is back as our QB you have to have at least 4 or 5 seconds to throw. I was actually surprised at how Ryan Van Demark was so totally dominated . I am not saying our QBs are the answer but you have to let them have a chance to throw.
Van Denmark needs to seriously evaluate whether he wants to play the game. I can deal with being slower, but not getting physically beat at 6’7” 302 play after play. No warrior mentality.

Reaction Score
I watched the game. As soon as the ball was snapped there were at least 2 defensive players IN THE BACKFIELD. I don't care if Zac Prescott is back as our QB you have to have at least 4 or 5 seconds to throw. I was actually surprised at how Ryan Van Demark was so totally dominated . I am not saying our QBs are the answer but you have to let them have a chance to throw.

This. Our QB play isn’t nearly adequate. But this year, it was less of a problem than the OL was. This was our worst OL since the Rent opened, and frankly it wasn’t even close.

Reaction Score
This. Our QB play isn’t nearly adequate. But this year, it was less of a problem than the OL was. This was our worst OL since the Rent opened, and frankly it wasn’t even close.
Yes this is the worst OL we ever had, and we need to start from there. I would be totally ok if we replaced the entire OL next year. Also both Steven Krajewski and Jack Zergiotis make bad throws regularly even when they have time. They both are unathletic and slow, which certainly does not help with a horrible OL. If they both can run like Tyler P, they both could look a little better. Either way, we need to get at least 2 QBs from the portal and send Jack Zergiotis and Steven Krajewski into the portal at the same time.

Reaction Score
Krajewski is a capable QB. There is a lot of disdain for some of the current players that is totally off base. Our offense is trash. The players are not prepared nor are they put in position to succeed. I’d stop trashing anyone in particular and let the new coaches reevaluate. I think you might be surprised how some of these guys turn out in the long run.
STOP being rational. This is the Boneyard! ;)

Reaction Score
The choices of OC sank PP (GDL), Diaco, and Edsall 2.0. That is why I wanted a proven offensive minded head coach. I’m willing to give Mora a chance, but if we go cheap on the OC hire or pick a GDL, Verducci, or Guifre, Mora won’t be successful.
Mora was pretty clear he wants an OC that runs a modern offense that puts players in position to succeed. We shall see but I don’t think he plans on running the delayed handoff, 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense.

Reaction Score
Taking the comments Dan O made about what he saw, when he was at preseason, about the condition of the team, it should be no surprise that the O line got their azzes handed to them, by Clemson. Time to start all over again. Unless there's a lot of o line player's in the portal who can make a difference, it's going to be another long painful season in Storrs.

Reaction Score
Yes this is the worst OL we ever had, and we need to start from there. I would be totally ok if we replaced the entire OL next year. Also both Steven Krajewski and Jack Zergiotis make bad throws regularly even when they have time. They both are unathletic and slow, which certainly does not help with a horrible OL. If they both can run like Tyler P, they both could look a little better. Either way, we need to get at least 2 QBs from the portal and send Jack Zergiotis and Steven Krajewski into the portal at the same time.
Edsall didn't develop any o-line to start besides RVD... replacing the entire line ultimately will bring the team back to square 1. The team needs to find a solid blocking TE because our TEs can't block to save a fly. If Mora can bring in a seasoned center, and tackles we will be fine. Our guards will be juniors next year and developed just because of the experience and being seasoned.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I will say that I admired the offensive game plan. They didn't come out conservative. They actually were aggressive and tried to catch Clemson off guard. Now....they didn't have the talent to pull it off. But it was more fun than watching run, run, sack, punt. Which you knew Edsall would have done.

Reaction Score
OL are one of the easiest asks of the portal. There’s a lot of them since 5 positions and a few years of college can built competent and strong types that aren’t NFL level guys. Athleticism is nice and mandatory for great ones but you can get solid ones without needing rare talents.

OLmen are the most challenging to recruit and develop. If they’re in the portal it’s for a reason. Most likely they are not one of the top 5-10 OLmen in they’re current program. There may be help in the portal for us, but it’s a partial solution at best.

Reaction Score
I don't doubt they discussed QB's while in Idaho.

and ...

If you have ever watched Pac 12 Football - for 40 years - there is a plethora of QB talent in that league every year. The HS style is absolutely throwing the ball around - and they value the QB who can manage the game. Then look around - that Fresno kid; the Mississippi kid; the Ohio State kid (and Purdue and Michigan have often had west coast QB).

The fact is there are only so many top QB #1 jobs in CFB and these kids don't want to be coming in as 3 or 4 and sitting years. The camps for QB; the instructors for QB. Bigtime business in California. And as we think about our departed HCRE ... it is a mindset we need to excise ourselves away from.

I thought I saw good things on our Defense today. And the Corners are all in their first or second year in our system; and we have injured good ones.

Reaction Score
The choices of OC sank PP (GDL), Diaco, and Edsall 2.0. That is why I wanted a proven offensive minded head coach. I’m willing to give Mora a chance, but if we go cheap on the OC hire or pick a GDL, Verducci, or Guifre, Mora won’t be successful.
I agree. UConn will never achieve sucess in football without being able to put the football in the endzone with some degree of frequency.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not having a good OLine is not unusual. UCONN is worse than most but you have to adjust. That’s why Tyler Phommachanh was so special. OLine obviously needs to improve but also QB depth.

Reaction Score
OLmen are the most challenging to recruit and develop. If they’re in the portal it’s for a reason. Most likely they are not one of the top 5-10 OLmen in they’re current program. There may be help in the portal for us, but it’s a partial solution at best.
Even the 10th thru 15th OL would be an upgrade for UConn. Tell me that the first 3 QB's used by Clemson today wouldn't be an upgrade over what UConn has. Surprised if the portal didn't become clogged with QB's wanting to start right away at UConn.

Reaction Score
Even the 10th thru 15th OL would be an upgrade for UConn. Tell me that the first 3 QB's used by Clemson today wouldn't be an upgrade over what UConn has. Surprised if the portal didn't become clogged with QB's wanting to start right away at UConn.
Not unless they get 3 or more OL at the same time.

Reaction Score
Van Denmark needs to seriously evaluate whether he wants to play the game. I can deal with being slower, but not getting physically beat at 6’7” 302 play after play. No warrior mentality.
He wouldn't need to "seriously evaluate" if they put him where he belongs - on the bench. He got "rag dolled" out there today.

Reaction Score
Not having a good OLine is not unusual. UCONN is worse than most but you have to adjust. That’s why Tyler Phommachanh was so special. OLine obviously needs to improve but also QB depth.
While I agree that Phommachanh is the best of UConn's pathetic QB stable, he also demonstrates how far UConn has to go to be relevant. How so? His older brother is a bigger, faster, stronger version, who would have put up 70 on UConn. And, he is a second string QB at Clemson and will probably remain so since Ukaleilei (close enough) is only a soph.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I prefer we not crap all over individual players. The QB's can do better than Best Buy Salesmen with a UConn education.

RVD had a bad game but was up against a stud.

The bigger issue is the Giufre is way out of his depth here. The blocking schemes, play calls, etc- none of it makes any sense and if we know it and the kids know it, I bet the opponent knows it as well. Let's get through these last 2 games, get to Mora and let him decide who stays, who goes, and what is best for the program.

Reaction Score
I prefer we not crap all over individual players. The QB's can do better than Best Buy Salesmen with a UConn education.

RVD had a bad game but was up against a stud.

The bigger issue is the Giufre is way out of his depth here. The blocking schemes, play calls, etc- none of it makes any sense and if we know it and the kids know it, I bet the opponent knows it as well. Let's get through these last 2 games, get to Mora and let him decide who stays, who goes, and what is best for the program.
Disagree. The QB's were pathetic,and while maybe better than Best Buy Salesman, there are many current high school QB's who would be a big upgrade. As for RVD, he should have been placed on the bench immediately, not to return to the field. No excuses, he got bullied and was helpless to do anything about it.

Reaction Score
Love it if we could bring in Liam Welch at QB. He had himself quite a day today, and he's been excellent all season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom