First Night Recruits? | The Boneyard

First Night Recruits?

Reaction Score
With the 'First Night' festivities being a week away, has anyone heard of any recruits that will be attending?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Nope! I assume at least Kelis and Gandy. I'm hoping for Lara Somfai at least. I think Makeer is visiting the following week. I'd like to see some underclassmen as well.

Reaction Score
Right now we got a post, a wing and a pg. Sounds like a KFC 3 piece.

I love the relative anonymity of non-US players. My kind of October surprise.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Nope! I assume at least Kelis and Gandy. I'm hoping for Lara Somfai at least. I think Makeer is visiting the following week. I'd like to see some underclassmen as well.
How tall is Makeer and is she a guard?

Reaction Score
How tall is Makeer and is she a guard?
6’1” and Athletic. Has good jumping ability with decent outside and good midrange. Decent quickness as a defender but raw(as are most high schoolers). Looks like a wing/3 to me in Dawn’s system but not sure in Geno’s.

Is a three/wing a guard or small forward or neither - being it’s own separate category? SF offensively but possible guard defensively? Position determined by opponent’s offense?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
6’1” and Athletic. Has good jumping ability with decent outside and good midrange. Decent quickness as a defender but raw(as are most high schoolers). Looks like a wing/3 to me in Dawn’s system but not sure in Geno’s.

Is a three/wing a guard or small forward or neither - being it’s own separate category? SF offensively but possible guard defensively? Position determined by opponent’s offense?
Good question. Not sure but I've been of the opinion that its for guards and wings.

Reaction Score

Well, no definition is completely pure. Guards, wings, and SF are pretty much muddled especially in a positionless offense. Historically I would have said a wing is a shooting guard. DT was a wing and a shooting guard. I don't think you would label her a forward. Today? Who knows. 99 times out of a 100 a PG is not a power forward, but everything between those 2 positions is up for grabs.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yeah - it used to be clearer: Center PF, SF, Off (Shooting) Guard, Point Guard.

True power forwards became much rarer as those players refined their shooting out to the arc, and true centers also started disappearing as those types also extended their range. And all that changed how a small forward was seen and people started using 'Wing' to define the small forward type of players, not as tall as forwards, and not as big as centers and with better ball skills. But guards got bigger so off/shooting guards could just as easily be called small forwards and got labeled 'wings' too.

As the idea of 'position-less' play took hold, and as defined positions became blurred, a lot of teams are better defined as 2 forward, 1 wing, 2 guards, or alternatively 2 forwards, 2 wings, 1 PG.

A true PF was a player who cleaned up the mess their teammates created, didn't expect to take the first shot, but scored on put backs after an offensive board. With only 4 true scoring threats it was easier on defenses. In the same way a true PG was considered a shooter of last resort, so a team with a PG and a PF was playing almost 3 on 5 on offense in half court sets. So a non-shooting PG is also becoming extinct as 'combo guard' becomes a more useful player - good shooter, good passer. The best teams now are probably 2 forwards, 2 combo guards and a cross over player defined as a wing.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Hello

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom