First Night Recruits? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

First Night Recruits?

Reaction Score
The "production" is the work of the Student Activity Office, or whatever they call it now. I thought Geno was going to have a stroke when they couldn't move a basket. It seems like the players spend a lot of time milling around. Add in the strobes and roving spotlights and it reminds me of Shaboo at midnight. If only I still had the stamina, I had then.

Reaction Score
Let me give you another chuckle, the sound quality is nearly as bad as the video. But I have joined you, I no longer watch as of last year.

I'm sure the replay will be streamed and you can FF to the scrimmages and shooting contest. You'll see who is healthy and who can shoot 3's.

Reaction Score
I don’t watch first night and I don’t like people on my lawn just find it funny when every Will complain about quality of production
I think the reason some of us (certainly me) complain about the quality of production, is because of the potential impact on recruits. I understand it is mostly for the students, and that it is run by student organizations not the athletic department. It could still be mostly for the students but put on by the athletic department IMO, resulting in a competent presentation.

As this thread implies, many are hoping potential future recruits will attend and be impressed, and that will help them decide that Uconn is the place for them. From the standpoint of fan support and the players themselves I think that largely happens, but every year these potential recruits also see many production mistakes, and what looks like a bad dress rehearsal for the real thing by the not ready for prime time players.

My main point is as long as First Night is used at least somewhat as a recruiting tool, then it should meet the high standards the program has in everything else the recruit is exposed to, and clearly that has not been the case for several years running. This year I hope it will be better, but the track record suggests that I should expect more cringe worthy moments.

What would make me most happy would be to say I was very pleasantly surprised, and that's more like it, after it is over.

Reaction Score
I don’t believe Azzi or Caroline will be here. At the very least; there is a good chance they won’t be. And then you have KK and Shade as the most experienced players on the roster.

Another freshman or two won’t help the experience level of the roster. But can provide more depth and more punch and more quality.
Curious as to why you think Azzi will not be here? Of course, Caroline is a question mark but if (miraculously) she were to be a contributing player this season and go through the season with no more health issues, I certainly would expect her to return! Now, that is obviously a big if but it is possible. As for Azzi, I see no reason she would not come back as well if she remains healthy. I would think she would do this for two reasons; first, to further demonstrate both her skills and her ability to play for an extended period with no health issues, and second, to establish a legacy here that has heretofore been compromised by repeated injuries. I think she will stay essentially because she has not really been able to have a college career!
However, even if I am dead wrong and both Azzi and Caroline leave at the end of this season, I believe we will still be a top five, contending team based on the tremendous roster that Geno has put together over the past three seasons! Yes, they would make us better, perhaps #1 as opposed to #3 or #4 but, make no mistake, barring some unforeseen event, this team has all the talent it needs to contend for the title over the next three years!

Reaction Score
I think the reason some of us (certainly me) complain about the quality of production, is because of the potential impact on recruits. I understand it is mostly for the students, and that it is run by student organizations not the athletic department. It could still be mostly for the students but put on by the athletic department IMO, resulting in a competent presentation.

As this thread implies, many are hoping potential future recruits will attend and be impressed, and that will help them decide that Uconn is the place for them. From the standpoint of fan support and the players themselves I think that largely happens, but every year these potential recruits also see many production mistakes, and what looks like a bad dress rehearsal for the real thing by the not ready for prime time players.

My main point is as long as First Night is used at least somewhat as a recruiting tool, then it should meet the high standards the program has in everything else the recruit is exposed to, and clearly that has not been the case for several years running. This year I hope it will be better, but the track record suggests that I should expect more cringe worthy moments.

What would make me most happy would be to say I was very pleasantly surprised, and that's more like it, after it is over.
This sounds like a superficial concern. If this is a reason a recruit decides UConn isn't for them, would Geno want them here in the first place? Boneyard fans talk about the allure of championships and the best training ground to be a WNBA pro. A couple hiccups by a well meaning group of students, shouldn't be a deterrent from my perspective.

The fan support and engagement should override production errors. Watching games on TV, the fans seem to be who the players care about versus production. Sure everyone wants a great show, but even the most high level production companies screw up.

Reaction Score

The recruits couldn’t care less about the production of First Night. The only thing recruits care about are: 1.) How much NIL $$ will I get
2.) Will I be guaranteed a spot in the starting 5, and how much playing time will I get.
3.) what will playing for UConn do for my social media profile
4.) Do I have a chance to win a National Championship.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom