First half, ugly. Second half, great. | The Boneyard

First half, ugly. Second half, great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Period, the end. No need to read too much into it. Next! :cool:

By the way just trying to avoid a ton of hand wringing and angst over how we played to start the game. Side note - we were also without Calhoun and Purvis.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I've seen worse defense out of a UConn team right up into the second half. I think Calhoun would have thrown his face on the court - they laid down on those two possessions.

Then Boatright just threw the whole works on his back and carried them.

Pretty impressive.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
if he keeps it up boat will be the best defensive player in the country...love hamiltons game, a little aggressive but i love it and he makes some great passes as well as rebounding very well... i like cassells shot when he catches and shoots... facey love his rebounding, has great hops and energy... brimah did really well, catches the ball and doesnt put it on the floor but puts it right back up... second half much better, team as a whole played much better in the second half... a lot of positives, a week to improve

Reaction Score
Samuel isn't just a good defensive player, he's a smart defensive player. Understands when to help off his guy, how to funnel drives directly to the shot blockers, and the right angles to take to recover.

I hope hope hope hope hope he gets a jump shot, because we are simply a better team with him on the floor.

Reaction Score
I honestly didn't think they ran bad offense in the 1st half. Did things get bogged down a bit in the 1st half against the zone? Yes, but they missed a ton of wide open shots. Not criticizing him because I thought he played well but TSam alone missed 2 layups and 2 wide open jumpers. Outside shooting coming into the season was a concern and its gonna linger a bit as guys missed alot of good looks in the 1st half. Still waiting on what a hopefully healthy Calhoum can do on offense because its needed if another perimeter player is having an off day.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I've seen worse defense out of a UConn team right up into the second half. I think Calhoun would have thrown his face on the court - they laid down on those two possessions.

Then Boatright just threw the whole works on his back and carried them.

Pretty impressive.

I don't know. UConn definitely wasn't closing out well, but Bryant was throwing up a lot of crappy shots and they were all going in. It reminded me a little bit of the St. Joe's game. Sure, our defense tightened up, but they also stopped playing out of their minds.

Meanwhile, we couldn't buy a shot -- even though we were taking wide-open ones -- while they were making everything. It was only a matter of time before talent, fatigue and the law of averages effected the inevitable outcome.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Love Coach's technical in the 2nd. Was basically saying Boat I got your back no matter what.

Reaction Score
I don't know. UConn definitely wasn't closing out well, but Bryant was throwing up a lot of crappy shots and they were all going in. It reminded me a little bit of the St. Joe's game. Sure, our defense tightened up, but they also stopped playing out of their minds.

Meanwhile, we couldn't buy a shot -- even though we were taking wide-open ones -- while they were making everything. It was only a matter of time before talent, fatigue and the law of averages effected the inevitable outcome.

I agree with this. UConn was bad on defense, but Bryant made at least three 25 footers.

Reaction Score
The 18-0 run was something out of the twilight zone. Was expecting Elijah Allen to check in and knock down a couple threes.

Other that that, it was the sort of game you'd expect - 25-30 point win with a mixed bag of some good and some bad where athleticism takes over. We found another level Bryant can't reach, but even then some defensive mistakes were masked in the second half by Bryant's inability to finish around the rim, and we probably had some rebounds that we would lose to better big guys. But we finally did what we are supposed to do and dominate a bad team for a long stretch.

A ways to go, and everyone has stuff to work on, starting with Boat (way too loose with the ball). but let's get Purvis back and see if we can't get Calhoun's career jump started again, and then see where it takes us.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
facey had 11 rebounds and hamilton had 7, brimah had 5 blocks, boat had 4 steals

Reaction Score
All I was hoping for was to get through the game and get some good film to review. DHam wasn't moving in towards the elbow off the perimeter early, started to do that as the second half went on. Seems like he could be a fast learner; pretty good BB IQ and decisions considering how much ball handling he took as a freshman in his first real game. Will be interesting to see how he handles his first hostile away game crowd.

Reaction Score
I honestly didn't think they ran bad offense in the 1st half. Did things get bogged down a bit in the 1st half against the zone? Yes, but they missed a ton of wide open shots. Not criticizing him because I thought he played well but TSam alone missed 2 layups and 2 wide open jumpers. Outside shooting coming into the season was a concern and its gonna linger a bit as guys missed alot of good looks in the 1st half. Still waiting on what a hopefully healthy Calhoum can do on offense because its needed if another perimeter player is having an off day.

IMHO the first half was poor shot selection and too much standing around. 2nd half a different story and it started with d.

Reaction Score
When you go 1 for 10 from three in the first half the door is open to let the intensity down on the defensive end. Ollie clearly preached defense at the break the intensity turned up which led to more fast break points and more confidence. Without a knockdown three guy (at this point) its all going to start on the defensive end for UConn this year. I think the team did a great job realizing that in the second half and a lot of the points came from that.

There's a lot to be encouraged about. Should be a fum year watching this group grow up.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
They cannot play defense like that for 25 minutes. They have work to do, which is fine.What a difference stepping up the D did for that game, including improving their offense.
Much better rebounding team than last year. Hamilton looks great. Jr. is a keeper. Boatright is love. Amida is just my favorite player to watch

Reaction Score
IMHO the first half was poor shot selection and too much standing around. 2nd half a different story and it started with d.
There were some bad shots, Facey taking an 18fter with Cassell standing right next to him wide open, and then Cassell forcing up a jumper, maybe 2, definitely stand out. But I just didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as what Welsh was describing. I was more upset at all the missed shots, I didn't see a team without a plan or an idea of what to do.

Reaction Score
There were some bad shots, Facey taking an 18fter with Cassell standing right next to him wide open, and then Cassell forcing up a jumper, maybe 2, definitely stand out. But I just didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as what Welsh was describing. I was more upset at all the missed shots, I didn't see a team without a plan or an idea of what to do.

Could have one more pass on a few fast breaks. This team will be tough to beat in February and March.

Reaction Score

UConn vs St. John's at the garden in 91/92??? I believe we started down 30-2 on national tv. The St. John's fans gave me s h ! T all day.

Reaction Score
TSam taking 2 3s, Facey taking an 18 footer

Reaction Score
Despite all the bull that the joke of an announcer Welch talked about in the first half, I honestly thought our offense ran fine we just did not make shots. Defense a different story but we picked it up big time in the second half. Overall I thought this was a really encouraging first game. Brand new team we will have some growing pains but man we got some real talent.

Reaction Score
Despite all the bull that the joke of an announcer Welch talked about in the first half, I honestly thought our offense ran fine we just did not make shots. Defense a different story but we picked it up big time in the second half. Overall I thought this was a really encouraging first game. Brand new team we will have some growing pains but man we got some real talent.
We did seem to be rushing things and taking sub-optimal shots in the first half

Reaction Score

I kinda disagree. Missed shots off poor shot selection. Lots of standing around. I think we are spoiled by Bazz bailing us out. We did not attack middle of the zone. Need someone at the foul line and get them them the ball. Execute from there.

Reaction Score
TSam taking 2 3s, Facey taking an 18 footer

You guys are rough. That Facey shot was in rhythm, and he can make that shot. He has a smooth stroke. I'm cool with that 100%.

TSam was basically 1/3 from three tonight. Problem wasn't the shot itself, but he took them early.

Reaction Score
Need someone at the foul line and get them them the ball. Execute from there.
DHam will be the guy. Now we have a pretty good amount of film to watch vs a zone, so KO can show DHam how to get there and our guys to get him clean looks there. Look for him to rise and either shoot or throw up an alley oop to Brimah like he's done several times already

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom