First half, ugly. Second half, great. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

First half, ugly. Second half, great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I kinda disagree. Missed shots off poor shot selection. Lots of standing around. I think we are spoiled by Bazz bailing us out. We did not attack middle of the zone. Need someone at the foul line and get them them the ball. Execute from there.
Its not like we didn't try to get it to the foul line. Hamilton got in a few times and lost the ball, Facey may have turned it over in there. When we turn it over in the middle and shoot poorly, a zone is hard to beat

Reaction Score
You guys are rough. That Facey shot was in rhythm, and he can make that shot. He has a smooth stroke. I'm cool with that 100%.

TSam was basically 1/3 from three tonight. Problem wasn't the shot itself, but he took them early.
It's not being "tough" to say TSam should not be taking 3s. C'mon now. We all know he's not a jump shooter at this point, let alone from beyond the arc.

Reaction Score
It's not being "tough" to say TSam should not be taking 3s. C'mon now. We all know he's not a jump shooter at this point, let alone from beyond the arc.

If he is going to be left completely open, he will have to take that shot and will have to make some. He was 1-2 on wide open 3's tonight. He should never take a contested 3, which he did one time tonight.

Reaction Score
If he is going to be left completely open, he will have to take that shot and will have to make some. He was 1-2 on wide open 3's tonight. He should never take a contested 3, which he did one time tonight.
No, nobody "HAS" to take a wide open 3 if they're not a jump shooter. I get that you want to take those in hopes of forcing the D to stay true but if you're not making those shots the D is going to back off anyway and you're wasting possessions.

Brimah's guy made a 3 in the first half; that didn't change the defensive scheme on him, nor should it have. KO and the team knew that that guy is not liable to make a lot of those shots and kept letting him take them. And lo and behold, he did take a few more, and I don't think he made another the rest of the game. Teams will gladly let TSam waste possessions as he misses those wide open looks until he starts making them consistently, which he has yet to accomplish.

Reaction Score
There were some bad shots, Facey taking an 18fter with Cassell standing right next to him wide open, and then Cassell forcing up a jumper, maybe 2, definitely stand out. But I just didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as what Welsh was describing. I was more upset at all the missed shots, I didn't see a team without a plan or an idea of what to do.

I know you've mentioned this before, but Welsh is simply unbearable. It isn't even an anti-UConn thing with him, either. He'll just point out every single little thing that goes wrong during a basketball game, and he'll dramatize it even when it's fairly innocuous.

Reaction Score
No, nobody "HAS" to take a wide open 3 if they're not a jump shooter. I get that you want to take those in hopes of forcing the D to stay true but if you're not making those shots the D is going to back off anyway and you're wasting possessions.

Brimah's guy made a 3 in the first half; that didn't change the defensive scheme on him, nor should it have. KO and the team knew that that guy is not liable to make a lot of those shots and kept letting him take them. And lo and behold, he did take a few more, and I don't think he made another the rest of the game. Teams will gladly let TSam waste possessions as he misses those wide open looks until he starts making them consistently, which he has yet to accomplish.

TSam got much better as a jump shooter during the course of last year. He improved his FT shooting greatly as well, and plays a very solid floor game.

How about you chill out and let the kid rip a few the first few games before you decide he doesn't have the capacity to make shots? He basically made 1/3 tonight, right?

Reaction Score
I'm completely chill; I'm not the one saying someone has to take every open 3 they're given. My opinion on TSam's jump shot ability is built upon what we have all seen so far. His jump shot certainly did not get "much better." Start a poll and let's see who here thinks so. I sure hope he proves me wrong, but going "basically" 33% isn't gonna do it.

FTs and "floor game" has nothing to do with it.

Reaction Score
You guys are rough. That Facey shot was in rhythm, and he can make that shot. He has a smooth stroke. I'm cool with that 100%.

TSam was basically 1/3 from three tonight. Problem wasn't the shot itself, but he took them early.
I have no problem with Facey taking midrange Js cuz I saw him do it in HS and in a small sample size he has shown a good stroke, but that shot tonight he had a defender relatively close, and Cassell was literally wide open on the wing next to him. Make the smart play and make the extra pass.

Reaction Score
I know you've mentioned this before, but Welsh is simply unbearable. It isn't even an anti-UConn thing with him, either. He'll just point out every single little thing that goes wrong during a basketball game, and he'll dramatize it even when it's fairly innocuous.
He got on DHam for being at the 3 point line when Boat collapsed the zone on a penetration and kicked it out to him for a wide open 3 that he missed, saying he should've been in closer in the 15ft-18ft area. That was just nonsense, there was no issue with DHam being spaced out to 3, his shot is a little bit off so far but we know he can make 3s, its not like he was a big with no range standing out there.

Reaction Score
aceboon said:
He got on DHam for being at the 3 point line when Boat collapsed the zone on a penetration and kicked it out to him for a wide open 3 that he missed, saying he should've been in closer in the 15ft-18ft area. That was just nonsense, there was no issue with DHam being spaced out to 3, his shot is a little bit off so far but we know he can make 3s, its not like he was a big with no range standing out there.

There was once he got on Boat for not running offense and forcing up the first shot he saw - when we did run offense and Boat passed on his first shot (up faked on a three) and took a good rhythm pull up J at the elbow and missed. It was a perfectly good possession. I was seriously wondering if he was actually watching, or if he was checking his notes and just looked up when Boat was shooting and made something up.

Reaction Score
aceboon said:

Sometimes I think, "why does that frisbee keep getting bigger and bigger?" And then it hits me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With each broadcast he does, it's no wonder why he's analyzing and not coaching the game.

Reaction Score
Welsh managed to take both sides of the "argument" rocktheworld and I are having in the same game.

Reaction Score
Its not like we didn't try to get it to the foul line. Hamilton got in a few times and lost the ball, Facey may have turned it over in there. When we turn it over in the middle and shoot poorly, a zone is hard to beat

Hamilton dribbled in with the spin move several times. We need a pass in, qcutters out-in and shooters on perimeter for a kick. People moving through the zone will open space, create defensive movement and hopefully a defensive mistake, where we can get a man and the Ball to the open spot.

Reaction Score
tcf15 said:
With each broadcast he does, it's no wonder why he's analyzing and not coaching the game.

That and white wine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore