Finebaum rips Edsall for pulling scholarship | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Finebaum rips Edsall for pulling scholarship

Reaction Score
The pundits going after Edsall with venom for this specific incident are massive hypocrites who can suck an egg and the coverage of this event has been blown way out of all proportion.

At the same time, it's a crappy move and I feel bad for the kid. Doing mental gymnastics to defend its righteousness makes us look like idiots. We all know it can be a dirty business and this is one example out of hundreds of that very fact. I personally wish he didn't do this, but I get that it can be part of program building.

I will say that I am really uncomfortable with the posts blaming the kid for blasting Edsall. I think that's weaksauce.

Reaction Score
The pundits going after Edsall with venom for this specific incident are massive hypocrites who can suck an egg and the coverage of this event has been blown way out of all proportion.

At the same time, it's a crappy move and I feel bad for the kid. Doing mental gymnastics to defend its righteousness makes us look like idiots. We all know it can be a dirty business and this is one example out of hundreds of that very fact. I personally wish he didn't do this, but I get that it can be part of program building.

I will say that I am really uncomfortable with the posts blaming the kid for blasting Edsall. I think that's weaksauce.

I blame his parents. Weak sauce going to the press.

And I don't feel badly for Ryan Dickens.

Reaction Score
Wait till this kid gets out in the real world, without mommy or daddy. This incident will be like a speck of sand on a beach. He has no idea what's coming.

Reaction Score
At the very least I was hoping for a new, improved version. Instead it looks like the same old tone-deaf guy.

That's absurd. Tone deafness would require that he knew that mommy and daddy were going to whine to the media and that the media would for some reason think it's a big story.

Reaction Score
I understood exactly what you said and I quoted you but feel free to revise and extend your remarks.
I wasn't replying to you, but thank you for your permission and support. The post to which I was responding was somehow cut off. But I was doing 3 things at once. I was responding to GTcam.

Reaction Score
I don't think the coaching staff ever envisioned this type of media backlash. You can bet they weren't deciding between honoring a kid's scholly vs. a public storm. They may have thought they were doing the kid a favor by letting him know his role on the team before committing 4 years of his life to an unfavorable situation.

I can't argue that, but Randy isn't new to this profession. Mind you, I have been a big fan of his over the years. The world isn't going to end and the news cycle will move on in 20 minutes or so. I don't know enough to know what he and the staff were thinking, but did they need the spots that much? Coaches rip kids all the time for flipping or transferring, so why is this ok?

This is College Football's dead period...for the media. Championship game is done and signing day is a couple of weeks away. Any story will be hyped just to fill space. Coming off of the Coach Pee and Red Pants Eras back-to-back. We can't afford bad press or the reputation this will give us with some high school coaches and parents.

Yes, this will pass. But not a good first step out of the blocks for HCRE. A story questioning his character after the way he left the first time. Not a good look.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I blame his parents. Weak sauce going to the press.

And I don't feel badly for Ryan Dickens.
The kid comes out smelling like roses either way. He's not going to be a Husky, but he's going to land on his feet. This will hurt UConn and Randy Edsall a bit longer.

Like I said in another post, the fact that Nebraska has offered tells you the kid was not cut out for big-time football. Diaco owed someone in NJ a favor.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I may be wrong here but I'm filing this in the "all publicity is good publicity" category.

Two months ago few realized that we still played FBS football. The past few days we've received more media attention than any three schools combined. I see that as a win.

Reaction Score
The kid comes out smelling like roses either way. He's not going to be a Husky, but he's going to land on his feet. This will hurt UConn and Randy Edsall a bit longer.

Like I said in another post, the fact that Nebraska has offered tells you the kid was not cut out for big-time football. Diaco owed someone in NJ a favor.

Did you mean to say Nebraska has not offered? Made me do a search and came up blank. Thanks in advance.

Reaction Score
I can't argue that, but Randy isn't new to this profession. Mind you, I have been a big fan of his over the years. The world isn't going to end and the news cycle will move on in 20 minutes or so. I don't know enough to know what he and the staff were thinking, but did they need the spots that much? Coaches rip kids all the time for flipping or transferring, so why is this ok?

This is College Football's dead period...for the media. Championship game is done and signing day is a couple of weeks away. Any story will be hyped just to fill space. Coming off of the Coach Pee and Red Pants Eras back-to-back. We can't afford bad press or the reputation this will give us with some high school coaches and parents.

Yes, this will pass. But not a good first step out of the blocks for HCRE. A story questioning his character after the way he left the first time. Not a good look.

I appreciate the discourse. Hopefully the other side of this comes out someday and we can hear the back story. And hope it doesn't impact recruiting long term ...

Reaction Score
I would like everyone please to stop assuming this all went down like the article says it did. Right now we have one side of the story: the kid and his family's. We don't know for sure what RE said because only two people do: the kid and Randy Edsall. I like Mike & Mike on the Deuce but can they at LEAST acknowledge that this is one version of the truth (I was going to add "for the love of Mike!" But that would have been redundant). Greenie sounds like he's ready to light torches and storm RE's house.

How do we know RE didn't call and say "so far everything looks good, and we'll know for certain right after the holidays."????

Reaction Score
I have a feeling this story is true. It's seems inconceivable to me that UConn has not responded to this in very general terms or leaked some info to a CT media outlet that helps there cause.

Don't give me this BS about not responding until after signing day. Benedict responded to the UConn /Temple flip by saying "there are two sides to every story"

If ADD had said that here the perception would have at least been challenged. You would not have Mike & Mike carrying on for the past two days talking about what the parents said as if it were the absolute truth.

Reaction Score
I wasn't replying to you, but thank you for your permission and support. The post to which I was responding was somehow cut off. But I was doing 3 things at once. I was responding to GTcam.

Let me get this straight. You quoted me and said I wasn't too swift. I responded by quoting your post and now you say you're too confused to remember who you insulted.

Reaction Score
I have a feeling this story is true. It's seems inconceivable to me that UConn has not responded to this in very general terms or leaked some info to a CT media outlet that helps there cause.

Don't give me this BS about not responding until after signing day. Benedict responded to the UConn /Temple flip by saying "there are two sides to every story"

If ADD had said that here the perception would have at least been challenged. You would not have Mike & Mike carrying on for the past two days talking about what the parents said as if it were the absolute truth.

David Benedict was on Joe D and Gresh on January 17:

Daniel Connolly‏@DanielVConnolly
Benedict on recent recruiting controversy: "I can’t speak about any one prospect, but I do believe the system can be improved."

Daniel Connolly‏@DanielVConnolly
Benedict said issues like this could be avoided with an early signing period.

Reaction Score
Sad to say but these are the type of parents and youth a coach must deal with in today's world . Helicopter parents. They swoop in and create a hostile situation because little johnnie doesn't get enough pt or touches or start etc. I had to deal with the likes when I coached swimming. I was talking to a human resources person Wednesday and she tells me that after they make an offer to college grads they get a call from mommy to negotiate a better starting paycheck . 22 year olds and mommy is still interjecting influence into their lives. The hiring company immediately withdraws the offer. This is the world we live

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sally Jenkins is doubling down and seems to have an agenda against Randy Edsall:

Sally Jenkins ‏@sallyjenx 19h19 hours ago
Sure other coaches renege, but Edsall has a tendency unlike any other to talk like he's the only quality individual in the whole profession.

Sally Jenkins ‏@sallyjenx 19h19 hours ago
@KyleAFitz @PostSports See my previous tweet. Its despicable in any of them, but few do it with such self-praising phoniness as Edsall.

Sally Jenkins ‏@sallyjenx 18h18 hours ago
@KyleAFitz @PostSports There has been plenty of outrage over Saban, others. But Edsall earns special scorn points because of his tone.

Sally Jenkins ‏@sallyjenx 18h18 hours ago
@KyleAFitz @PostSports It was a despicable screw job.
Great points, well except that RE2 hasn't commented on the matter so Sally's perception of his "self-praising phoniness " and "tone" on the matter is entirely fictional. But reporting has long ceased to be reality driven.

Reaction Score
Let me get this straight. You quoted me and said I wasn't too swift. I responded by quoting your post and now you say you're too confused to remember who you insulted.

Lol, I did a lot of Acid in the 60s. I really wasn't responding to you. I hadn't read your post until now. Wasn't meant for you. My mistake. When I'm wrong, I am wrong.

Reaction Score
Shouldn't impact recruiting at all. Kid's next best option? Rhode Island. UConn needs to be recruiting against better prorams anyway.

Reaction Score
Finebaum & ESPN crapping on UConn while making excuses for Mich or Bama? Not until this state rains a firestorm of sheet on ESPN will things ever change.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom