Finebaum rips Edsall for pulling scholarship | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Finebaum rips Edsall for pulling scholarship

Reaction Score
You aren't very swift. I think it is a terrible move for anyone. I mentioned Bama and Michigan because I think we are so far away from them on the program spectrum that bringing them up is absurb. Like saying, "If I was Bill Gates...." well you aren't so don't even mention him (Bama and Michigan in this scenario).

It is one scholarship if the kid is that bad, you eat it. Coach him up for a year or two then see. Could have easily brought him in for a year then helped him find a landing spot at the end of the season. That also happens all the time. One schilly i's not worth the press we are getting at this point in the program.

It's not one schollie. it apparently was a bunch of them. Unless it's Randy's fault that he wasn't prescient enough to know which one's mommy would run to the press with the story.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I must have been under a rock. I missed this event.

Unless this kid did something questionable (in a legal sense), I think it is a terrible move for us. I don't care if it happens at Michigan or Bama....when we have their profile, we can do what they do. I would still have an issue with it, but it would hurt the program. Our football program is in a tough spot. We don't need negative press. 2 weeks before signing day.....this is a bad move. Unless, Randy and his staff know something about the kid we do not (which is very possible).

Yeah you missed a whole bunch
So if a program becomes very successful then it's OK to be a scum?
What HCRE did was within the full rules of the NCAA (not saying their rules make any sense but them are the rules)
We don't have and cannot now hear UConn's side of the story
If this kid didn't/won't fit in to UConn's style or plans then by letting him know now is a favor
Why bring a kid in and let him be miserable?

Reaction Score
6'2" +/-
210 lbs +/-
4.9 40 +/-

"high character" kid, who is tall, skinny, and slow.

Donald Thomas ran a 5.0 at the combine. Like you said, we need more team speed.

My guess is that Edsall's first real in depth look at the returning roster and recruiting board, was everybody's 40 splits.

Reaction Score
Sally Jenkins went scorched earth on Edsall yesterday. I think the previous version of Edsall rubbed people the wrong way cause he acted like Bellichik while winning like Edsall.

I'm sensing a more flexible and humbled Randy this time around. This issue over the rescinded offer says nothing about character. Kid just isn't a fit for the new regime.

That was just a bandwagon hit-piece. It's more about smearing Edsall (and the program by proxy) than it is about actually defending the kid or critiquing the system — and I'm not even trying to put a halo over Randy's head, but the coverage of this story has been Sensationalist Faux Outrage 101 at its finest.

People should've been this outraged when it was happening at every other school in the country, especially the major programs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And as time gives us perspective, I could only wish UCONN spurns my kid and the fallbacks include Penn and Cornell!!

Yeah I heard Penn Community College and Cornell Junior College have excellent football programs, too. Academics — not so much, I guess.

Reaction Score
And as time gives us perspective, I could only wish UCONN spurns my kid and the fallbacks include Penn and Cornell!!

Is that accurate? I'll take your word for it. Tells you what Diaco put top priority to in identifying players. Nothing wrong with putting what's between the ears as a top priority, but you got to be physically able to compete with your peers in conference too, and were not in the Ivy League.

I've done a lot of focused effort on blocking out much of last season from my memory - it was awful. The thing that comes to mind now, was how slow we were on the field compared to Houston. If I member correctly, we were coming off 5 straight weeks of games, and on the road on a weeknight on a short week - which is never a good recipe for success - but even still, we got our doors blown off from the opening whistle.

Slow. Only one way to fix slow, and that's to recruit fast.

Well - another signining day coming up, and it's amazing how fast time goes.

I hope that 2017 brings some success back to the program, and makes going to the games enjoyable again. Nothing makes it enjoyable, like actually seeeing the team win at home.

Reaction Score
This is why I hate and I mean HATE ESPN and hate that my tax dollars go to them continuing trashing of UConn.

This is an unprecedented smear campaign with ESPN pulling the train and a bunch of lazy ignoramuses jumping aboard for a few boy scout cookies. We need to shoot ESPN and their tax-breaks to the moon and be done with any pretense of a media partnership. They're making millions off of UConn Sports and the State of CT to offset their other bad investments. Now after shuffling us out of the P5 gravy train their surrogates are on a crusade to undermine the efforts of our new staff to right the ship. Normally the best route would be to ignore it and hope it goes away but the ongoing feeding frenzy requires people and entities need to be called out on their hypocrisy.

Reaction Score
You aren't very swift. I think it is a terrible move for anyone. I mentioned Bama and Michigan because I think we are so far away from them on the program spectrum that bringing them up is absurb. Like saying, "If I was Bill Gates...." well you aren't so don't even mention him (Bama and Michigan in this scenario).

It is one scholarship if the kid is that bad, you eat it. Coach him up for a year or two then see. Could have easily brought him in for a year then helped him find a landing spot at the end of the season. That also happens all the time. One schilly i's not worth the press we are getting at this point in the program.

I understood exactly what you said and I quoted you but feel free to revise and extend your remarks.

Reaction Score
This is an unprecedented smear campaign with ESPN pulling the train and a bunch of lazy ignoramuses jumping aboard for a few boy scout cookies. We need to shoot ESPN and their tax-breaks to the moon and be done with any pretense of a media partnership. They're making millions off of UConn Sports and the State of CT to offset their other bad investments. Now after shuffling us out of the P5 gravy train their surrogates are on a crusade to undermine the efforts of our new staff to right the ship. Normally the best route would be to ignore it and hope it goes away but the ongoing feeding frenzy requires people and entities need to be called out on their hypocrisy.

What do we do w/ the Courant then... (rhetorical).

Reaction Score
What do we do w/ the Courant then... (rhetorical).

Sally Jenkins is doubling down and seems to have an agenda against Randy Edsall:

Sally Jenkins ‏@sallyjenx 19h19 hours ago
Sure other coaches renege, but Edsall has a tendency unlike any other to talk like he's the only quality individual in the whole profession.

@KyleAFitz @PostSports See my previous tweet. Its despicable in any of them, but few do it with such self-praising phoniness as Edsall.

Sally Jenkins ‏@sallyjenx 18h18 hours ago
@KyleAFitz @PostSports There has been plenty of outrage over Saban, others. But Edsall earns special scorn points because of his tone.

@KyleAFitz @PostSports It was a despicable screw job.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Sally Jenkins is doubling down and seems to have an agenda against Randy Edsall:

Sure other coaches renege, but Edsall has a tendency unlike any other to talk like he's the only quality individual in the whole profession.

@KyleAFitz @PostSports See my previous tweet. Its despicable in any of them, but few do it with such self-praising phoniness as Edsall.

@KyleAFitz @PostSports There has been plenty of outrage over Saban, others. But Edsall earns special scorn points because of his tone.

@KyleAFitz @PostSports It was a despicable screw job.

...and there you have it. The Courant has decided that, despite passing time, they're going to revert back to whatever happened in the past, with Edsall. They're probably still ticked off about Bones starting off an injury.

What a self-entitled bunch of morons.

Reaction Score
Don't stop now Sally. Clearly you've been waiting a long time for this opportunity.

Reaction Score

I don't think the coaching staff ever envisioned this type of media backlash. You can bet they weren't deciding between honoring a kid's scholly vs. a public storm. They may have thought they were doing the kid a favor by letting him know his role on the team before committing 4 years of his life to an unfavorable situation.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nice to see you're siding with the people putting "#BoycottUConn" in their Twitter bios.
Agenda, now "sides"? I'm a UConn fan first, not an Edsall fan.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Some fan you are, throwing Edsall under the bus in such a way that it causes the program significant harm.

Reaction Score
I don't think the coaching staff ever envisioned this type of media backlash. You can bet they weren't deciding between honoring a kid's scholly vs. a public storm. They may have thought they were doing the kid a favor by letting him know his role on the team before committing 4 years of his life to an unfavorable situation.

You're just not very swift either.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Mike and Mike still talking about it. Golic called it 'bush league'. Harped on Edsall , not the broken NCAA process.

No mention of any other school doing this. This is ridiculous.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

Yes but he is part of UConn now or did you forget that part in your high and mighty attitude towards HCRE now. I get it you don't care for him, but he is the leader of the football program now.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yes but he is part of UConn now or did you forget that part in your high and mighty attitude towards HCRE now. I get it you don't care for him, but he is the leader of the football program now.
At the very least I was hoping for a new, improved version. Instead it looks like the same old tone-deaf guy.

Reaction Score
At the very least I was hoping for a new, improved version. Instead it looks like the same old tone-deaf guy.

O ... B´´´

I don't think HCRE of 2008 would have done this. I am wondering what has changed. And you could not go through his Maryland adventure and take some hard lessons on big time football.

Reaction Score
Why does it have to be an agenda?

Because she is singling him out with the following statements regarding his character:

"Edsall has a tendency unlike any other to talk like he's the only quality individual in the whole profession."

"Its despicable in any of them, but few do it with such self-praising phoniness as Edsall."

"But Edsall earns special scorn points because of his tone".

So what is her back story with Edsall?

Edited to add: I see that this was answered in the other thread.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom