Final 2019 Scholarship? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Final 2019 Scholarship?

Reaction Score
I trust that Manuel is talented so if its him that's great. If not, hold the scholarship. No talent, no scholarship. Hurley has mentioned many times that his job is to increase the talent level in the program. A David O type decreases the talent level and makes us look bad.

Reaction Score
I trust that Manuel is talented so if its him that's great. If not, hold the scholarship. No talent, no scholarship. Hurley has mentioned many times that his job is to increase the talent level in the program. A David O type decreases the talent level and makes us look bad.
So it is good to play Whaley against big teams? I would sure like a David O. who could at least keep his defensive position and rebound. Not a starter like KO used him but not a bad bench player.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It could look bad if Carleton is in foul trouble and Whaley is too small to stop an opposing big. Then fans will criticize Hurley for not getting a back up for Carleton. Take a rent a body for one year even if it’s only to push Carleton in practice.

Reaction Score
David O was horrible. He was big and was foul proof who could not set a screen without moving. Whaley is much better. Sure he doesn't have the size but he has the length and he is now an upperclassman. I'm okay with Whaley as only back-up if we don't land Manuel.

People here have short term memories. Ollie was blasted for playing David O so much. Most screamed he should never played at all. Now folks want him on this years team as a back-up center.

Reaction Score
So it is good to play Whaley against big teams? I would sure like a David O. who could at least keep his defensive position and rebound. Not a starter like KO used him but not a bad bench player.

Yes, Whaley is athletic and can make things happen. I think he's going to have a very good season.

I am the biggest Whaley supporter here and maybe his one true believer . Team Porkchop baby!

Reaction Score
Would be nice to find a last 2nd Grad transfer big (a serviceable one this time) that can give us some rebounds (minimal, nothing less) in the paint... and a few put backs...

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
If we're back in play with higher quality 2020s because of the Bog East move, bank the scholly.

Stinks for this season. Unfair expectations for Carlton. But we'll be thankful when we have an extra high 4* on the roster rather than a stretch roster guy
Big East will help with recruiting a lot but there’s no guarantee it’s going to be a windfall and we start landing high end 4 Stars every year. You absolutely take Manuel if he’s eligible. He was JUCO all American, We need depth at the 5 immediately.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Would be nice to find a last 2nd Grad transfer big (a serviceable one this time) that can give us some rebounds (minimal, nothing less) in the paint... and a few put backs...
Nothing at all is available. Not even guys who aren’t serviceable.

Reaction Score
We often leave out an important point in this discussion. We get to a few minutes and rebounds per game. I think it's important for Carlton to face a 6-10 230+ body everyday in practice. That kid can improve; and it ain't gonna be with Tom Moore covering him.

Kenya is the coach to bang with.
He is built wide. Must be 230

Big East will help with recruiting a lot but there’s no guarantee it’s going to be a windfall and we start landing high end 4 Stars every year. You absolutely take Manuel if he’s eligible. He was JUCO all American, We need depth at the 5 immediately.

If the staff thinks he can contribute, you take him of course. Two year commitment is relatively small anyways if he isn't great.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
David O was horrible. He was big and was foul proof who could not set a screen without moving. Whaley is much better. Sure he doesn't have the size but he has the length and he is now an upperclassman. I'm okay with Whaley as only back-up if we don't land Manuel.

People here have short term memories. Ollie was blasted for playing David O so much. Most screamed he should never played at all. Now folks want him on this years team as a back-up center.
Thank you

Reaction Score
I'm in the minority maybe - but if they're thin on bigs this year, then whatever. I'm so lazered in on them taking an actual step forward in 2020-2021... a backup center isn't going to be what keeps them out of the dance or helps them advance a round further.

I guess if I've learned anything from watching multiple rebuilds over the years, you don't just take guys to take guys or try like crazy to squeeze the most out of a team half full with guys you have to talk yourself into. Get the guys you want and recruit with purpose to build the team you want and think can put you on a path for sustained success.

Reaction Score
It could look bad if Carleton is in foul trouble and Whaley is too small to stop an opposing big. Then fans will criticize Hurley for not getting a back up for Carleton. Take a rent a body for one year even if it’s only to push Carleton in practice.
At this point and this is not a final judgement because the season is ahead, this is a fail for Hurley. He can’t get a backup center. All subject to change for sure, but as of today, and it’s getting late early.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm in the minority maybe - but if they're thin on bigs this year, then whatever. I'm so lazered in on them taking an actual step forward in 2020-2021... a backup center isn't going to be what keeps them out of the dance or helps them advance a round further.

I guess if I've learned anything from watching multiple rebuilds over the years, you don't just take guys to take guys or try like crazy to squeeze the most out of a team half full with guys you have to talk yourself into. Get the guys you want and recruit with purpose to build the team you want and think can put you on a path for sustained success.

I have no interest in writing off this season. This team absolutely, positively should get an NCAA bid. It was a bubble team last year without the injuries and is much improved. People are way underrating UConn for 2019-20.

That said, I have enough confidence in Whaley to believe he can play 10-12 minutes a game at the 5. Very few opponents have big physical centers (USF aside). So I agree we shouldn't take some low level guy who consumes a scholarship for 2020-21, and we aren't. So it isn't an issue. If we get Manuel, that's ideal. He's a great fit as a 5 in Hurley's system and can help next year.

Reaction Score
Another grad transfer is Chicago State's Patrick Szpir. Watching his 18/19 mixtape, the 6'9 230 Szpir is a post guy who does most of his damage within 5 feet, so he could be a good practice guy for Carlton and Whaley.

Last year's season averages are only 2.9p, 2.6r in 18.5 mpg, but he was relied on more later on in the season once Chicago's best post player was out for the season. In his last 7 games at Chicago State he averaged 7p, 4.1r in 30 mpg.

Reaction Score
I have no interest in writing off this season. This team absolutely, positively should get an NCAA bid. It was a bubble team last year without the injuries and is much improved. People are way underrating UConn for 2019-20.

That said, I have enough confidence in Whaley to believe he can play 10-12 minutes a game at the 5. Very few opponents have big physical centers (USF aside). So I agree we shouldn't take some low level guy who consumes a scholarship for 2020-21, and we aren't. So it isn't an issue. If we get Manuel, that's ideal. He's a great fit as a 5 in Hurley's system and can help next year.
I like Whaley but he's pretty thin, looks like he weighs 195.

Reaction Score
Yes, Whaley is athletic and can make things happen. I think he's going to have a very good season.

I am the biggest Whaley supporter here and maybe his one true believer . Team Porkchop baby!
Well good luck with that one when he fouls out in 5 minutes. Whaley is a nice kid with good energy but I haven't seen much from him to believe that he can really back up at the 5 in any significant way. Love to be proven wrong but it is sad he will be the only option off the bench besides putting Akok there and going smaller with Polley at the 4.

Reaction Score
Why not use it on a grad transfer C-PF just for 5 fouls and bigger than Whaley? It won’t waste a scholarship for future years and will give us another big off the bench even if it’s just a big body.
Makes sense but I dont think there are any
decent C-PF grad transfers available.

Reaction Score

I believe!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

I like Whaley as well. I recall a couple of games where Carleton was in foul trouble, Cobb strapped on his cement shoes, put in the game but benched quickly, then Whaley was put in only to pick up two quick fouls. Cobb was put back in and fortunately some of the cement was removed.

If Manuel is available almost everyone agrees we take him. If not you want a body to back up Whaley, but only if it’s a one year option if the kid is not Division 1 material.

Maybe Akok is the backup plan. Niels occasionally was put in that role. I still would prefer having a one year rent a body just in case. If the kid is unable to contribute he doesn’t play which ends up with the same result as a banked scholarship.

Reaction Score
I like Whaley as well. I recall a couple of games where Carleton was in foul trouble, Cobb strapped on his cement shoes, put in the game but benched quickly, then Whaley was put in only to pick up two quick fouls. Cobb was put back in and fortunately some of the cement was removed.

If Manuel is available almost everyone agrees we take him. If not you want a body to back up Whaley, but only if it’s a one year option if the kid is not Division 1 material.

Maybe Akok is the backup plan. Niels occasionally was put in that role. I still would prefer having a one year rent a body just in case. If the kid is unable to contribute he doesn’t play which ends up with the same result as a banked scholarship.

A one year rent a body would be great if Manuel doesn't work out, but we won't know whether he works out until August, and by then there will be no one available (there is basically no one available now, in a month literally no one will be available). I think everyone agrees that a grad transfer big body is better than leaving the scholarship open, but that ship has sailed. Manuel or bust.

Reaction Score
Kenya is the coach to bang with.
He is built wide. Must be 230

If the staff thinks he can contribute, you take him of course. Two year commitment is relatively small anyways if he isn't great.

Manuel? I believe he has 3 years if he comes here this summer? I could be wrong or thinking of someone else they were recruiting.

C

Chief00

Any news here? Wondering if with the move to the BE and all focus on making a statement in 2020, if the staff is going to eat the scholarship this year (baring a reclass of a 2020 prospect) to try and reel in an extra big fish for the 2020 class? At this point I would prefer us keep it to take a shot at landing an extra big time recruit for 2020, rather than a 3-star center for 2019... Wonder what y'all think?
No comment. Sorry.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom