FGCU. Again. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

FGCU. Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They play very loose and free. When it clicks, it works awesome. I can see there being days over the course of the year when they just throw the ball all over the arena and have poor shot selection, giving the other team a layup line.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I am genuinely happy right now because of a school I heard of maybe twice before selection sunday. This is why March Madness is the best.
You heard of them twice more than most people. I know I'd never heard of the school but i sure enjoy watching them.

Reaction Score
Amazing accomplishment to get into the 16.

Changing venues, a week between games, massive amount of media between now and then....it usually makes the cream rise to the top. But no doubt....a fun ride this weekend.

Reaction Score
OK, which of these teams makes the Elite 8?
a) Wichita State
b) Oregon
c) Florida Gulf Coast University
d) Ole Miss or LaSalle
e) None of the above

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
amanda-marcum-florida-gulf-coast-240x300.jpg

FGCU has my vote

Reaction Score
Amazing accomplishment to get into the 16.

Changing venues, a week between games, massive amount of media between now and then....it usually makes the cream rise to the top. But no doubt....a fun ride this weekend.

The way they play, they could seriously have everything go wrong next week and lose by 40. Unlike a Butler, who will usually hang around for all 40. But man, the first 96 hours of this tourney belong to them.

Reaction Score
You heard of them twice more than most people. I know I'd never heard of the school but i sure enjoy watching them.

Most people hadn't heard of them before this tourney. They've only been playing Div I ball for about 6 years.

Another tidbit: when Southern CT State University women's team won the Div II national championship in 2007, it was FGCU they beat in the final.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The way they play, they could seriously have everything go wrong next week and lose by 40. Unlike a Butler, who will usually hang around for all 40. But man, the first 96 hours of this tourney belong to them.

For those interested in this kind of thing, I would strongly recommended giving the points no matter how much of a favorite Florida is. Between the interviews, calls from family/friends/hangers-on for tickets and other favors, and Enfield working the phones for a new job, the clock is about to strike midnight.

Reaction Score
It's not like the guy doesn't have a good resume. Who wouldn't want him right now? Where do you see Enfield going?

Reaction Score
What's getting them through this is ball movement. It is kind of like playing Princeton is for the big boys. All of the ball movement and patience frustrates them. Fgcu just does it at high speed and high altitude but they always make the extra pass.

Part of me expects Florida to blow them out and part of me thinks Fgcu has become one if the best teams in the country almost overnight.

Reaction Score
It's not like the guy doesn't have a good resume. Who wouldn't want him right now? Where do you see Enfield going?

Enfield is a multi millionaire. He can stay there or wait for the perfect job.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
For those interested in this kind of thing, I would strongly recommended giving the points no matter how much of a favorite Florida is. Between the interviews, calls from family/friends/hangers-on for tickets and other favors, and Enfield working the phones for a new job, the clock is about to strike midnight.
Another women's hoops connection - former UConn guard Mel Thomas is Director of Basketball Operations for the FGCU women's team. Mel is the long time girlfriend of UConn football player Tyvon Branch.

C

crownfox2

For those of us who can remember......Comer the PG,his entire game ,the stop and starts ,dishing off in every direction and angle, his blind drop passes remind the most of Bob Cousy

Reaction Score
The only comparison I can think of for FGCU is the 1980 Olympic Hockey team. Very impressive. Brad Stevens and Shaka Smart are has been's, Andy Endfield is leading the new coaching revolution and everyone else is taking notes. Part Harlem Globetrotter, part Laker Showtime, 100 % impressive. I joked yesterday that UCLA should go after Endfield but that doesn't seem like a joke anymore.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The joy and overall attitude and light-hearted swagger Sherwood displays reminds me a ton of Khalid.

Reaction Score
Can you imagine if FGCU beats U of Florida?? that would be just amazing. I will be pulling for them big time.

Reaction Score
They play very loose and free. When it clicks, it works awesome. I can see there being days over the course of the year when they just throw the ball all over the arena and have poor shot selection, giving the other team a layup line.

And of course, they are free and loose since everything beyond making the tourney is pure gravy. I guess when there is no pressure, those threes and crazy oops style works in the field of 68

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Opened at 11 offshore which is way short will get to 13-14. Gamblers know all about FGCU and were all over them
against Gtown. Most stayed on them today against SDSU.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
And I am enjoying their run but take a step back.

If a 15 seed is going to make the Sweet 16... Drawing Georgetown and the MWC was the route.

Mountain West flat out embarrassed themselves in this tournament.

Kudos to Florida who can go to the Elite 8 by going through a 14, an 11 and a 15.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The only comparison I can think of for FGCU is the 1980 Olympic Hockey team. Very impressive. Brad Stevens and Shaka Smart are has been's, Andy Endfield is leading the new coaching revolution and everyone else is taking notes. Part Harlem Globetrotter, part Laker Showtime, 100 % impressive. I joked yesterday that UCLA should go after Endfield but that doesn't seem like a joke anymore.

It's Enfield. And for them to compare to the 1980 US Hockey team they would need to be in the NBA Eastern Conference Finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom