Felton Blackwell and Nazir Williams pulled over taken into custody (Daily Campus Link) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Felton Blackwell and Nazir Williams pulled over taken into custody (Daily Campus Link)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That has to be a school zone with EO Smith there.

I thought the same initially but it's not reflected on police report (yet) and I think there is a distinction between personal use amount (< 1/2 oz) and distribution amount.

Reaction Score
Isn't having an open container of alcohol in a vehicle more or less an automatic DWI? They can still charge them, but if they didn't yet then they may have gone pretty easy on them.

I can't really chalk this up to..."ahh the dumb mistakes that kids make". An unopened bottle of Vodka? Sure. Maybe even the 4 grams of weed in this climate. A BB gun without the other two, even that is no big deal. The combination of these suggests two not very nice people planning to do some not very nice things. That's the optics.
Depends on what the open container law in CT is - I don't know it. If they consider any bottle not in a bag or package to be open that's a whole lot different from it being there with the cap off. Also, I don't know what the DWI law is as it pertains to having an open container even if you take a breathalyzer and pass.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is not a good thing for the program and bad timing.

One of the strengths of Diaco is that he apparently doesn't allow for any funny business. So they should not expect much leniency.

I understand that students, athletes or others, come to college from diverse backgrounds. In these backgrounds may be exposure to crime. One would hope being at a great campus like Storrs would help them mature and evolve. Hope these young men continue to mature.
They are suspended per ESPN.

Reaction Score
I thought the same initially but it's not reflected on police report (yet) and I think there is a distinction between personal use amount (< 1/2 oz) and distribution amount.
No clue on the laws. Just popped in my head that EO Smith is across the street.

Reaction Score
drugs, alcohol, weapons.... read the tea leaves people.... UConn has set its sights on the SEC!
If there were hookers/strippers involved, and they were skipping class then I'd say ACC.

Reaction Score
Very curious to see how Diaco handles this.

If he does give them another chance, I just hope he doesn't get burned by it, and I'd hope the kids don't waste it. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up deciding to dismiss them.

Reaction Score
I would expect them to be suspended at least through the end of the season.

Part of me agrees. The other part of me hates to see non-violent offenders have their lives potentially ruined. I'd like to know more about the BB gun

Reaction Score
I'm not going to comment on the weed. I don't like it and don't understand why anyone would but to each his own. On the vodka, driving around with it is beyond stupid. Drinking (underage) in your dorm is one thing, operating a vehicle makes it an entirely different issue.

I find it interesting that you don't like and don't understand cannabis use but seem perfectly fine with getting intoxicated from alcohol. They are both mood altering drugs, the only differences being that cannabis is much less harmful and has been illegal in the past.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I find it interesting that you don't like and don't understand cannabis use but seem perfectly fine with getting intoxicated from alcohol. They are both mood altering drugs, the only differences being that cannabis is much less harmful and has been illegal in the past.
I don' think that's the point he's making. At 19, both booze and weed are illegal. However, booze does become legal at a later point in life. Pot does not. So it is understandable if an underage person can get his hands on it. BTW, Alcohol WAS illegal, without a prescription (just like weed in this state), for a few about 13 years from the late Teens until the early 30's.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Much less harmful is a difficult thing to prove and I am of the opinion that how harmful use of either substance is/can be would need to be viewed on a ca case by case basis.

I don't believe I ever stated that it is perfectly fine to get intoxicated by alcohol. What I believe I did state (and absolutely intended) was that if in their dorm rooms college kids partake in pot or alcohol, even if not of drinking age that is not much of an issue. Driving a car while doing so on the other hand is an entirely different story. Additionally, in the case of the two young men in question, it would have been far better if behavior such as this was refrained upon during a game week.

If you want to crusade for the benefits of marijuana vs alcohol take it somewhere else. I've seen someone very close to me throw away a very bright future because of the abuse of the former and someone close do the same because of the latter.

Reaction Score
But it is not legal at any age.
1) not true, one of them "could" (but most likely didn't) have a prescription. Weed is not entirely illegal.
2) what does that have to do with your point that "it is understandable if an underage person can get his hands on it." It's easier to get weed than alcohol, whether it's legal or not is unimportant. They're underage anyway.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
1) not true, one of them "could" (but most likely didn't) have a prescription. Weed is not entirely illegal.
2) what does that have to do with your point that "it is understandable if an underage person can get his hands on it." It's easier to get weed than alcohol, whether it's legal or not is unimportant. They're underage anyway.
1) I said that earlier. Didn't think I had to rehash (no pun originally intended).
2) Weed being easier to get than booze is a matter of opinion. It's easy to get if you know where and who to ask. For example: It certainly wasn't habitual, but I smoked from my junior year of high school through my mid-20s. When I arrived on campus, my cube-fridge was already stocked with Bud Light. Even if it wasn't, Ted's was a 1/4 mile away and a senior was always willing. It took a few weeks to nail down a source for the other type of bud.

Also, underage drinking is socially acceptable in the dorms. Most RAs turn their cheek unless a resident is in blatant violation. Weed smoked in the dorm is behind closed doors, with a damp towel at the doorjam, an open window, fan, incense, and through a makeshift filter of a paper towel roll and Bounce dryer sheets.

Reaction Score

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Is this a joke? Who cares about a BB gun? I feel bad for the kids. Hartford Courant publishes an article with your faces on it and the headline "UConn Players Suspended After Weapons Arrests." How many people will actually read the article? Totally unfair headline. No one keeps the orange thing on their BB gun. Man, I hope these kids stay on the team.

Reaction Score
They made the ESPN crawl for NCAAF. The thing that bothers me is that with the BB gun they could have had a situation result with an officer having to make a split second decision and a permanent result. Just beyond stupid and I hope they and every other student understands that this is not to be taken lightly. Use your heads, there are smarter and safer ways to have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom