Federal Cafe in Hartford closing???? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Federal Cafe in Hartford closing????

Reaction Score
Yes it was. I designed the Brickyard and the Standing Stone. Actually gave it it's name, referencing the megolithic stones erected throughout the UK. Loved that place. The Grant brothers were awesome, paid me in cash, big wads of it. View attachment 59007
I hope you deposited that cash quickly!

I didn't think it was the Grant brothers that started the Brickyard. Did you deal with Jim and Bill at all?

Reaction Score
I hope you deposited that cash quickly!

I didn't think it was the Grant brothers that started the Brickyard. Did you deal with Jim and Bill at all?
Yes, four partners. Jim, Bill, Mike and Tony.

Reaction Score
I just took a stroll through downtown. There were more people and restaurants open than usual. A band was actually playing on the Old State House Lawn as part of the farmer's market. I got a nice piece of homemade pie.

The Federal of course was not open but nothing about it being closed, the bar still looked stocked.

The street is blocked off in front of the Russian Lady and there are tables set up in the street. The Russel which used to be on Pratt moved to where Bear's was.

Next to Bears and where the Brickyard was on Allyn Street are now new apartments. There are lots of new apartments downtown, if they can fill them who knows, life could come back.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
What the heck was the name of the sort of landmark restaurant near the Civic Center, with a bunch of different levels? It may have been a brewery after the restaurant I'm thinking of. It was a go-to dinner date spot before concerts etc...

Reaction Score
What the heck was the name of the sort of landmark restaurant near the Civic Center, with a bunch of different levels? It may have been a brewery after the restaurant I'm thinking of. It was a go-to dinner date spot before concerts etc...

Brown Thompson (or BT's). It became (and still is) City Steam. Cool building for sure.

Reaction Score
Anyone remember the Club Car? Had many crazy nights upstairs there back in the mid-late 80’s

Reaction Score
Yes, four partners. Jim, Bill, Mike and Tony.
Jim and Bill went to UConn. I was friends with Mike also, but that was since kindergarten. Mike went to Stonehill. His father disappeared right before his college graduation.

Reaction Score
Anyone remember the Club Car? Had many crazy nights upstairs there back in the mid-late 80’s

I do but that place changed names a lot. Club Car and Great Train Robbery are two that I remember going to. I was an IT consultant at Connecticut Mutual which was just up the hill. A fellow consultant and I were babysitting jobs on a Saturday so we decided to have a few drinks at the Club Car. When we went back to work, the security guard gave us a hard time since we weren't employees so we almost could not get back to work. This was well before logging in remotely. It would have been tough explaining that to our manager. But good times at the Club Car. I had a lot of crazy nights in the 80's.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I actually typed in "N-a-u-g-h-t-y Nurse" without hyphens but first word was removed.
Yeah I tried to post that word the other day and noticed that the filter grabs it. Strange.

Reaction Score
Brown Thompson (or BT's). It became (and still is) City Steam. Cool building for sure.
Then there was BT II over by Westfarms Mall which later became Great American Cafe I believe, which was torn down and replaced by Red Robin. Brown Thomson, no p.

1601063380047.png

Reaction Score
Then there was BT II over by Westfarms Mall which later became Great American Cafe I believe, which was torn down and replaced by Red Robin. Brown Thomson, no p.

View attachment 59062

Yep Great American Cafe was three levels open very cool layout. There was a GAC in Glastonbury also in a shopping plaza, very fun.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Russian Lady. Sports bar level 1, dance club level 2, level 3 Russian roulette

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

View attachment 59062
I got married at the Society Room on Pratt St and the photographer made us take a picture in front of this plaque!

Reaction Score
Anyone remember DeLisa's in Hartford? Or, the other places listed below?

I took some of my dates to DeLisa's. Had great entertainment and Pete was quite a singer. Rock music and some nice Italian music.

Pete died in 2012, and the below information comes from his obituary:

Pete DeLisa, the owner, also owned other clubs like In the early 60s, with his brothers, he opened DeLisa's in Hartford which is remembered as the premier entertainment nightclub of its day.

In the disco heyday of the 70s, Peter opened the very popular General Store Cafe in Canton. In the 80s and 90s he had an incredibly successful run at The Stonewell Restaurant in Farmington, performing with the very talented vocalist, Carol Wilusz.

When I lived in the Hartford area in the early 1970's there was also the White Street Tavern and a place at the end of Park Street, but I cannot recall its name.

Reaction Score
Oh yeah, I forgot to name JB Steakhouse or some name close to it, in downtown Hartford where U of Hartford waiters from Hartt School of Music would sing. More of a restaurant but still a bar as I can remember.

Reaction Score
Anyone remember DeLisa's in Hartford? Or, the other places listed below?

I took some of my dates to DeLisa's. Had great entertainment and Pete was quite a singer. Rock music and some nice Italian music.

Pete died in 2012, and the below information comes from his obituary:

Pete DeLisa, the owner, also owned other clubs like In the early 60s, with his brothers, he opened DeLisa's in Hartford which is remembered as the premier entertainment nightclub of its day.

In the disco heyday of the 70s, Peter opened the very popular General Store Cafe in Canton. In the 80s and 90s he had an incredibly successful run at The Stonewell Restaurant in Farmington, performing with the very talented vocalist, Carol Wilusz.

When I lived in the Hartford area in the early 1970's there was also the White Street Tavern and a place at the end of Park Street, but I cannot recall its name.
The Stonewell was a Beafsteak Charlie's prior to that, all the beer wine and sangria you could drink. It was empty for a long time and is now Five Corners Bistro.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom