Federal Cafe in Hartford closing???? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Federal Cafe in Hartford closing????

Reaction Score
It is amazing what the plans were for Hartford in the late 80's. Here is a link which described some of the plans.
There was concern at one time, that the proposed tall buildings would block sunlight for some portions of downtown.

Reaction Score
Yes it was. I designed the Brickyard and the Standing Stone. Actually gave it it's name, referencing the megolithic stones erected throughout the UK. Loved that place. The Grant brothers were awesome, paid me in cash, big wads of it. View attachment 59007
Loved going downstairs to piss after a few beers, the stairs felt like an Olympic event after 4 or 5 drinks. And the free peanuts....endless supply.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
A few more dead soldiers....

Scarlett O'Hara's
Civic Pub
Challengers
Boppers
Polly Esta
No Name Bar
Bourbon St
Standing Stone
North Shore

The Municipal
Chucks Cellar
Dagny's
Cell Block 19

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Brickyard. I knew the owners. They were UConn grads and big UConn basketball fans. They had a good run there but they got married and had kids and just couldn't do it any more. What is there on Allyn Street now?
As recently as when I was freshly graduated in 2010, Allyn St was very much a place to be on Friday and Saturday nights. Then there was a murder at Up or On the Rocks and it closed, then Black Bear left. I honestly have no clue what there is now.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The Municipal
Chucks Cellar
Dagny's
Cell Block 19
What was the name of the higher-endish restaurant that used to be across Capitol Ave. from the Muni, on the corner of Capitol and Main?

Reaction Score
A few more dead soldiers....

Scarlett O'Hara's
Civic Pub
Challengers
Boppers
Polly Esta
No Name Bar
Bourbon St
Standing Stone
North Shore

Civic Pub was excellent early Big East days especially. Challengers fun during the heart of success. Boppers had its place in the pick up market. There were 2 bars in the 80s/early 90s on the same street one of which would eventually be Coach’s, you could walk to each back and forth (disco’s kind of). Was Polly Estas one of those?

Reaction Score
What was the name of the higher-endish restaurant that used to be across Capitol Ave. from the Muni, on the corner of Capitol and Main?
The spot in the Linden building in the 80's was Spencer's, known for it's late night breakfast buffet after the
good bar/dance club business they had there for a couple years. Then Corny T. tried to get it going for a minute, but it was a massive fail combined with him and his partners not understanding building codes (direct from a city inspector) among other things that hurt him in the big picture even B4 they got started.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I used to valet park cars at a bunch of downtown restaurants and bars in Summers when I was in college. We often went to the Federal when we got off work. Always liked that place.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Civic Pub was excellent early Big East days especially. Challengers fun during the heart of success. Boppers had its place in the pick up market. There were 2 bars in the 80s/early 90s on the same street one of which would eventually be Coach’s, you could walk to each back and forth (disco’s kind of). Was Polly Estas one of those?
I think so.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The spot in the Linden building in the 80's was Spencer's, known for it's late night breakfast buffet after the
good bar/dance club business they had there for a couple years. Then Corny T. tried to get it going for a minute, but it was a massive fail combined with him and his partners not understanding building codes (direct from a city inspector) among other things that hurt him in the big picture even B4 they got started.
Yep. That's the spot I was thinking of, thanks. IIRC they got sued by several female employees for sexual harassment.

Reaction Score
Our stand-by's were Civic Pub and Dagny's. Grilled burgers outside on the patio, couldn't beat it. There was also a popular dance club which we hit once in a while I think for the drink specials. Can't remember the name, on Allyn Street I think.

Reaction Score
Many of the large companies (Travelers, UHC, Aetna, The Hartford) wont be returning 100% of employees to the office until there’s a vaccine. Expect a lot of this to continue.

Talking with folks who work in big business places in Hartford. Right now, most places have no plans to return until Jan. 1.

Word on the streets is March at earliest, maybe June. There is also a lot of people who think never. The business has continued, why do you need the real estate cost?

Reaction Score
Our stand-by's were Civic Pub and Dagny's. Grilled burgers outside on the patio, couldn't beat it. There was also a popular dance club which we hit once in a while I think for the drink specials. Can't remember the name, on Allyn Street I think.
Sow's ear is one place that I remember. Lorien's was another dance club. Club Car was on the corner of Allyn near the train station.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
OANTN5SCG5F6RKZHEX4W56KZPI.jpg

Took some searching... but my fav pic of the Fed. RIP in peace.

Reaction Score
Yep. That's the spot I was thinking of, thanks. IIRC they got sued by several female employees for sexual harassment.
Wasn't there a seafood restaurant across Capital from Spencer's/CornyTs? I am thinking of a name like Capital Fish Market. Over 20 years ago.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
As recently as when I was freshly graduated in 2010, Allyn St was very much a place to be on Friday and Saturday nights. Then there was a murder at Up or On the Rocks and it closed, then Black Bear left. I honestly have no clue what there is now.

I went to the Memphis game in February this year and was blown away by how dead that area is now. To answer your question, there is nothing there now. Just empty buildings.

Reaction Score
Sow's ear is one place that I remember. Lorien's was another dance club. Club Car was on the corner of Allyn near the train station.

Loriens yep !! One of the 2 dance clubs I asked about. Thx

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom