Federal Cafe in Hartford closing???? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Federal Cafe in Hartford closing????

Reaction Score
The Stonewell was a Beafsteak Charlie's prior to that, all the beer wine and sangria you could drink. It was empty for a long time and is now Five Corners Bistro.

I designed Five Corners. The owners are wonderful people. When we first went in, the Stonewell had been empty for seven years and it was a dump. We came close to tearing it down and starting fresh, but it came out pretty nice.
5C1.jpg

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
While you guys are helping me plug the gaping holes in my memory, here's one. Mid-tier restaurant, sort of like BT's level. Original location was in Avon on the South side of 44. Great burgers and a decent bar. And I'm almost sure they opened a second location at Vernon Circle? We used to got there like every other week, went there after HS graduation (mid-80's). And I can't think of the name of the place.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
While you guys are helping me plug the gaping holes in my memory, here's one. Mid-tier restaurant, sort of like BT's level. Original location was in Avon on the South side of 44. Great burgers and a decent bar. And I'm almost sure they opened a second location at Vernon Circle? We used to got there like every other week, went there after HS graduation (mid-80's). And I can't think of the name of the place.
Wood n tap

Reaction Score
The spot in the Linden building in the 80's was Spencer's, known for it's late night breakfast buffet after the
good bar/dance club business they had there for a couple years. Then Corny T. tried to get it going for a minute, but it was a massive fail combined with him and his partners not understanding building codes (direct from a city inspector) among other things that hurt him in the big picture even B4 they got started.
was a member only pool hall for a brief time

Reaction Score
The Mac n' cheese at the Marble Pillar on Fridays with a cold Rolling Rock

Reaction Score
Gaetano's in the Civic Center
Shenanigans in Bushnell Towers
Congress Rotisserie
Margarita's
Unless the owners retired and left the business to retire , what happens to all the owners of all the places now gone that were listed as "dead soldiers?"

Must be sad to have had camaraderie with the patrons and enjoy watching the patrons having camaraderie with one another and then it is all over. Maybe some even developed new friendships and a place to wind down.

I guess things never stay the same.

Are there any "living soldiers?" Places that are still in business with old time owners or family running the business name, anywhere, not just in Hartford?

Reaction Score
Scarlett O’Hara. My Uncle owned it for a while. He liked owning businesses and thought that was fun. He was over it after a year or so.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yep, that's it. Little surprised City Steam is still surviving. I was never a huge fan of their beer.
Me, either. But I like the space and the food (mostly apps) has always been pretty good over the years.

Reaction Score
Then there was BT II over by Westfarms Mall which later became Great American Cafe I believe, which was torn down and replaced by Red Robin. Brown Thomson, no p.

View attachment 59062

It was Joe’s American Bar and Grill before they changed it to Great American. Joe’s was great. I was sad to see it go.

In 1997 I met a gorgeous blond girl at the Brickyard one night. We met at Joe’s on our first date. We got liquored up at the bar and started making out so aggressively the bartender was walking by and let out a noticeable, “Oh my God”. We stopped and I said, “I’m sorry”. He said, “Don’t be sorry, I’m just jealous”. So, we went right back to it. Fun couple of weeks.

Reaction Score
Best pickles I've ever had.
I worked there for a few weeks in my early twenties. It was crowded before and after Whaler's games and on the weekends with many drunk people including me at times. I believe it was open 24 hours for a while and then replaced by Shelly's Deli. The one in Vernon is still open and good but a much different vibe then the Reins that existed in Hartford. I believe there was one in Bishops Corner as well.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
The Fed was the last real bar in Hartford. A true dive. I have been there more times than I can count since 2003. Was there before a few XL games last season. My brother was a bouncer there for one night until he found out how little it paid. We used to close the place down and the owners would lock the doors and let us drink all night. We were in good enough with them that they let us order beers to go after close. Loved how they sold Hot Pockets. Front Street and snob joints ruined places like the Fed. Makes me want to cry.

Reaction Score
Alright, I need help now with my memory. Either 94 or 95, less than a half hour after a big win, sports bar right next to the Civic Center. Donny and Rudy standing out on a small dance floor, Ollie holding court at the bar. Place was packed, I don't think it was the Russian Lady, think it had a sports type name, but maybe it was? Always thought it was strange that they'd be out right after the game, assuming the rest of the guys went back to campus...

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Alright, I need help now with my memory. Either 94 or 95, less than a half hour after a big win, sports bar right next to the Civic Center. Donny and Rudy standing out on a small dance floor, Ollie holding court at the bar. Place was packed, I don't think it was the Russian Lady, think it had a sports type name, but maybe it was? Always thought it was strange that they'd be out right after the game, assuming the rest of the guys went back to campus...
Bleachers?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom