Federal Cafe in Hartford closing???? | The Boneyard

Federal Cafe in Hartford closing????

Reaction Score
Just saw someone hashtag a photo of the Federal on Union Place, stating they were "saying goodbye". Looks like it is closing. Anyone heard this?
I met up with many 'Yarders there over the years. The place was opened in 1934 by an old high school friend's grandfather. My friend sold it in the early 00's. It was always a great place before and after UConn and Whalers games. "The last real bar in Hartford".

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just saw someone hashtag a photo of the Federal on Union Place, stating they were "saying goodbye". Looks like it is closing. Anyone heard this?
I met up with many 'Yarders there over the years. The place opened in 1934 by an old high school friend's grandfather. My friend sold it in the early 00's. It was always a great place before and after UConn and Whalers games. "The last real bar in Hartford".

Great spot to start a weekend game. And I was fortunate enough to meet alexd and his friends there, enjoyed some Husky game previews as well as post game reviews. Maybe a few cold ones too.....tough news if true!

Reaction Score
The last real bar in Hartford.... that gave me a good laugh, thank you

Reaction Score
Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!! I haven't lived near Hartford in a long time but we spent many a night there back in the day. Really sad to hear this.

Reaction Score
Best bar in Hartford. Always ended up there after the St Patty's Day Parade too. Hopefully it'll be back up and running under another owner soon.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Been there at least a dozen times over the years, usually before and/or after UConn games. Always a part of a good night. Most memories are hazy. Which is a good thing. I think.

Reaction Score
Downtown Hartford is becoming a graveyard as the shutdowns continue.
Many of the large companies (Travelers, UHC, Aetna, The Hartford) wont be returning 100% of employees to the office until there’s a vaccine. Expect a lot of this to continue.

Reaction Score
Many of the large companies (Travelers, UHC, Aetna, The Hartford) wont be returning 100% of employees to the office until there’s a vaccine. Expect a lot of this to continue.

No one in those offices was heading to the Fed after work. They all get in their cars and drive back to Glastonbury.

Reaction Score
They've completely destroyed the restaurant and bar industry in cities.
Totally agree. The city restaurants have been destroyed by the shutdowns and it will take years to recover. The things that made NYC great and the reason to live/visit like restaurants, Broadway, sporting events, arts, ... are being wiped out. Sad.

Reaction Score
Downtown Hartford is becoming a graveyard as the shutdowns continue.

@Chief, Love ya but this is not a COVID thing, although it may have accelerated it some. This is a 30 year trend dating back to 89’ in the financial crisis when Bank of New England got their cease and desist order from the Fed and the break up/sell off of insurance industry that followed. Everything since has been lipstick on a pig.

Reaction Score
I have fond memories of the Federal. We went there a few times in the morning during our work day when I worked downtown. The place had character but then they went a little more upscale and didn't open until later in the day. Many bars that we frequented in the early 2000s are now gone such as Lord Jims, Coaches and Vito's By The Park (although moved to Church Street).

Reaction Score
I have fond memories of the Federal. We went there a few times in the morning during our work day when I worked downtown. The place had character but then they went a little more upscale and didn't open until later in the day. Many bars that we frequented in the early 2000s are now gone such as Lord Jims, Coaches and Vito's By The Park (although moved to Church Street).

A few more dead soldiers....

Scarlett O'Hara's
Civic Pub
Challengers
Boppers
Polly Esta
No Name Bar
Bourbon St
Standing Stone
North Shore

Reaction Score

Scarlett O'Hara's
Civic Pub
Challengers
Boppers
Polly Esta
No Name Bar
Bourbon St
Standing Stone
North Shore
Brickyard. I knew the owners. They were UConn grads and big UConn basketball fans. They had a good run there but they got married and had kids and just couldn't do it any more. What is there on Allyn Street now?

Reaction Score
I miss the Standing Stone..and now the Fed.

Saw the 99 championship game vs. Duke at the Stone and then ended the night at the Fed where the owner kept it open for 1-2 hours past close. A lot of fun that night at the Fed.

Reaction Score

Saw the 99 championship game vs. Duke at the Stone and then ended the night at the Fed where the owner kept it open for 1-2 hours past close. A lot of fun that night at the Fed.
Was the Standing Stone right next to the entrance to The Brickyard? I think that was it. It was owned by the same people who owned The Brickyard.

Reaction Score
Was the Standing Stone right next to the entrance to The Brickyard? I think that was it. It was owned by the same people who owned The Brickyard.
I'm pretty sure that it was next to the Brickyard. I remember a bartender named Froggie or something like that. We got great seats at the bar in 1999 for an early tourney game only to discover that one of the early UConn games was not on since the Standing Stone did not get ESPN. I never made that mistake again.

Reaction Score

Hartford was wild that night as the Stones were also in town. I was at the concert and they showed Trajan Langdon's play at the end of the game while playing "You Can't Always Get What You Want". What a night. Fortunately, a work mate had taped the game and let me view it.

Reaction Score
Yes it was. I designed the Brickyard and the Standing Stone. Actually gave it it's name, referencing the megolithic stones erected throughout the UK. Loved that place. The Grant brothers were awesome, paid me in cash, big wads of it.
AVEBUR~1.JPE

Reaction Score

Scarlett O'Hara's
Civic Pub
Challengers
Boppers
Polly Esta
No Name Bar
Bourbon St
Standing Stone
North Shore

Who could forget Yogi playing his belt at Civic Pub?

Here are a few more.

McKinnons which is recent. The owner Matt Corey gave us a tour of the place before it opened since we were looking through the windows. He told us the bar was the same bar used in the movie "Officer and A Gentleman".
Spent some quality time watching the World Cup after work here.

Spent time at both of these prior and after Whaler's games.

JP's
Rising Sun - home of the Tora Tora cocktail

And these bars where I spent some of my early years.

Mad Murphy's
36 Lewis Street
Sean Patrick's 111 Pearl Street where the ill-fated Cutter Financial Center was going to be.
Dagney's
Last National Bank

And who could forget Johnnies on Wethersfield Avenue after softball at Colts Park.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

@Chief, Love ya but this is not a COVID thing, although it may have accelerated it some. This is a 30 year trend dating back to 89’ in the financial crisis when Bank of New England got their cease and desist order from the Fed and the break up/sell off of insurance industry that followed. Everything since has been lipstick on a pig.
I don’t disagree up to a point - but the last 6 months has accelerated the process including remote working. With Covid the recent trend of millennials moving into apartments/condos downtown has been reversed - staying with mom and dad again.
Max Downtown shut its doors as well for an undetermined period.

Reaction Score
This and losing the Whalers around the same time. Thiings started disappearing afterwards like G. Fox, WFSB moving to RockyHill...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom