February 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

February 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Don't know if I'm starting a bandwagon or jumping on one so I'll apologize in advance. If UCONN fails to land one of Hollingshead, Moore, or Iriafen in 2021 then I'm officially devoting my energy to be the campaign manager of the Maya Nnaji to UCONN.
Top 5 reason:
1) Her chemistry with Paige is amazing.
2) She is incredible skilled for a big.
3) She not from California.
4) Her brother at Arizona is probably going to be an NBA lottery pick so she is going to have a chip on her shoulder and prove she belongs in that family.
5) We need another Maya at UCONN.
At least Eric and I are on board for Maya Nnaji in 2022. She’s big and really good. She also works very well with Paige.

Reaction Score
Don't know if I'm starting a bandwagon or jumping on one so I'll apologize in advance. If UCONN fails to land one of Hollingshead, Moore, or Iriafen in 2021 then I'm officially devoting my energy to be the campaign manager of the Maya Nnaji to UCONN.
Top 5 reason:
4) Her brother at Arizona is probably going to be an NBA lottery pick so she is going to have a chip on her shoulder and prove she belongs in that family.
I’ll do what I can as an assistant. 6-4 and named Maya, what’s not to like? And I assume GA and staff have already been eyeballing her for quite some time. For 2022, she and Brady are both very mobile but I would take Betts as a consolation prize. ;)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
At least Eric and I are on board for Maya Nnaji in 2022. She’s big and really good. She also works very well with Paige.
Agreed. She has a different game from Brady. Not as much range from what I've seen. More of an elite banger in the post. I'm sure some on here have seen much more videos of her, but from what I've seen, super impressed and would LOVE to have both.

IMHO they are NOT like Mompremier and Brown - where one ended up leaving. I think their skill sets are unique enough that not only could the co-exist, but complement each other.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I wasn’t aware she held a UConn offer. Am I slacking (likely) or is this new news?
You are not slacking too much. @Sluconn Husky told us UCONN interest a few months back. This is the first time I’ve seem anything about a UCONN offer and we have been misled about these things before. Here are some more juicy morsel. Key and Saniya Rivers play on the same AAU team. Key has a sister who is a freshman at TN. Key attends the same HS that Azura Stevens and Deb Antonelli did.

Reaction Score
Top 5 reason:

I've seen her shine in highlights on offense.......................how is she defensively?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I've seen her shine in highlights on offense.......................how is she defensively?
Defensively she is behind where her offense is. She is very mobile and has two more years of HS ball.

Reaction Score
You are not slacking too much. @Sluconn Husky told us UCONN interest a few months back. This is the first time I’ve seem anything about a UCONN offer and we have been misled about these things before. Here are some more juicy morsel. Key and Saniya Rivers play on the same AAU team. Key has a sister who is a freshman at TN. Key attends the same HS that Azura Stevens and Deb Antonelli did.
I don’t think Key reports offers, so who really knows to be honest.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Whenever their season comes to a close, McPherson plans to narrow her long list of potential schools down to around 15.

When Hubbard says that McPherson is before her time, he means the way her athleticism sets her apart on a basketball court.

How McPherson can handle the ball, split a double team with ease, find an open teammate in the corner for a 3 or pull up for a jumper at the free throw line.

She averages 37 points per game for Madison County and 40-point nights are the new normal, Lampe says. She has one more season with Hubbard and Nike Team Elite but the text messages will keep rolling in from every corner of the country until she’s finally enrolled at a powerhouse Division-I school.

“I get calls from New York to L.A.,” Hubbard said. “It’s amazing to have Geno down at Madison County at 6 o’clock in the morning. You know what that tells you. Then you have Baylor, USC, UCLA, you’ve got Georgia right there. Everybody wants that kid.”

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
2/13

Saniya Rivers: 26 points, 16 rebounds, 6 steals

2/12

Talia Von Oelhoffen: 29 points, 9 rebounds

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This was impressive. Today, defenses often push our offense out past the 3 point line. Azzi makes the entire defense back off.
This is something (efficiency of movement) that is not talked about often enough with both Paige and Azzi. I don't know if I agree with @MilfordHusky about Azzi being the best shooter "ever" but what I continue to marvel at is how they get to those shots. There is no wasted movement, the head fakes and jab steps are subtle, the dribble is minimal, and the elevation explosive & controlled, their eyes are always on the target. Every pass arrives at the optimal time to finish or precisely in the shooting pocket so that the receiver can go right into the shot. When ND played Texas A&M in the tournament Muffet McGraw said of Chennedy Carter "we can't guard her, you just have to hope she misses". That is what UCONN is getting with Paige and hopefully Azzi also. Only Maya Moore ever achieved this level of efficiency with the basketball in her hands. BTW best shooter I ever saw is Sue Bird.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Whenever their season comes to a close, McPherson plans to narrow her long list of potential schools down to around 15.

When Hubbard says that McPherson is before her time, he means the way her athleticism sets her apart on a basketball court.

How McPherson can handle the ball, split a double team with ease, find an open teammate in the corner for a 3 or pull up for a jumper at the free throw line.

She averages 37 points per game for Madison County and 40-point nights are the new normal, Lampe says. She has one more season with Hubbard and Nike Team Elite but the text messages will keep rolling in from every corner of the country until she’s finally enrolled at a powerhouse Division-I school.

“I get calls from New York to L.A.,” Hubbard said. “It’s amazing to have Geno down at Madison County at 6 o’clock in the morning. You know what that tells you. Then you have Baylor, USC, UCLA, you’ve got Georgia right there. Everybody wants that kid.”

“I hear them—I hear the ‘oohs’ and the ‘ahhs’ and the ‘woos’ or whatever, but it’s nothing,” McPherson said. “It’s what I’ve been doing the past four years. Those crazy new moves that I’m bringing to girls basketball to make it more exciting.”

hhhhmmmmmm ... yeah, humility is over rated I guess.:eek:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Top 5 or 10 doesn’t necessarily mean that she holds offers from them
Maybe not but if you get this far in the process ( she can decide in November) it would be kind of pointless to put a school in your top 5 or 10 from which you do not have an offer.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
2/13

Mir Mclean: 16 points, 9 rebounds in a close loss to Angel Reese and St. Francis.

Reaction Score
I was wondering why no one was talking about Maya. Watching her run the pick and roll with Page reminds me of Sabrina and Bethard. She is proficient with both hands and runs the court well. Size is important as other teams are loading up and it has been somewhat of a shortcoming the past couple of years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom