February 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

February 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread

Reaction Score
I would be very happy with that. It has a strong Northeastern representation--Maryland, New York, D.C./Virginia, and Massachusetts. But I also like Rivers, Iriafen, Moore, and some others.
If Azzi goes elsewhere who is our next best option? If she waits until November to commit, as some have suggested, we may lose out on other potential recruits.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
2/8

Amari DeBerry: 22 points, 9 rebounds, 4 blocks

“She makes all of her teammates better. She communicates on defense. She’s everything that you want as a coach,” Panama head coach Jeff Angeletti said of DeBerry. ” … (UConn head coach) Geno Auriemma is all about character and you can see that … and her ability.”

Schnars made it a 15-point game early in the fourth quarter, but DeBerry hit Ava Urbaniak on back-to-back high-low plays to push the lead back up to 19.

“Amari … just wants to come out of these games with a ‘W’ so she’ll do whatever she has to do,” Kristen Dolan said. “She can really do it all. She’s a great passer and loves getting her teammates involved.”

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I'm having difficulty distinguishing the basketball skills and talents of Aubrey, Mir and Edwards. How are they different? Do their similarities overlap or might there come a time when all three will be together as UConn starters?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I'm having difficulty distinguishing the basketball skills and talents of Aubrey, Mir and Edwards. How are they different? Do their similarities overlap or might there come a time when all three will be together as UConn starters?
From what I've heard, it sounds like Aubrey and Mir are similar, but Aaliyah Edwards is not cut from the same cloth. From the video clips of her playing for the (U16?) Canadian team, she is a powerful, physical rebounder who seems to have an appetite for mixing it up in the paint. She can make jump shots and even 3's, but her game seems to be mainly in the paint. I would say she is a slightly shorter Stef Dolson in that way.

Do others who have seen more of her play agree with this description?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
From what I've heard, it sounds like Aubrey and Mir are similar, but Aaliyah Edwards is not cut from the same cloth. From the video clips of her playing for the (U16?) Canadian team, she is a powerful, physical rebounder who seems to have an appetite for mixing it up in the paint. She can make jump shots and even 3's, but her game seems to be mainly in the paint. I would say she is a slightly shorter Stef Dolson in that way.
Do others who have seen more of her play agree with this description?
I was with you until the Dolson comparison.
Edwards is a sturdy forward with great length & athleticism very much in the mold of Swin Cash or Napheesa Collier. Edwards will be as mobile as those two, will excel in transition, & and will play offensively all over the floor the same way that Morgan Tuck did.
Mir is athletic and will make a living off rebounding the ball. She will be a versatile defender (perimeter and taller players on the interior) but somewhat of a offensive liability because she has not developed a reliable deep ball yet and her ball handling is not adequate to play on the wing.
Aubrey has already shown all the tools to be disruptive perimeter defender and can be an aggressive slasher to the basket. Aubrey's outside shot is also not quite reliable enough yet but like the rest of her game it is coming together with her increased knowledge of the UCONN offense.
To answer @Golden Husky question I do not see all three players starting for UCONN at the same time because none of the three are true post players.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
She seems like Irwin great kid slow and can Not create her shot against taller guards.
In this video she looks like she has more moves off the ball and is an adept passer. I don't see any similarities.
The National Championship-July 2019: Fundamental guard handles and attacks in transition game; brings a scorer's mentality to the back court; deceptively quick on dribble-drive attack, finds the rim with consistency, yields results; smooth stroke on jumper, mid-range game creator with range beyond the arc. (Olson)

Boo Williams Invitational-April 2019: Agile off-guard brings deep range offensive game to the back court; green light 3-point threat complemented by slashing attack to the rim; size in the back court, fundamental, crafty off the dribble, executes in half-court game. (Olson)

Reaction Score
Aubrey and Mir are very similar in height and type of game. Edwards is taller, more versatile and has range to 3point land.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
How can anyone say for sure how good an outside shooter Griffin is when she has not taken enough shots so far this season. It's all guessing. If she had taken over ten shots a game on a regular basis then that would be a better gauge on which to judge her accuracy.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If Azzi goes elsewhere who is our next best option? If she waits until November to commit, as some have suggested, we may lose out on other potential recruits.
Azzi is worth waiting for, but Geno should offer other kids he likes. If that means a large class, he can deal with it later.

We really have no idea when Azzi will commit. Note, however, that Megan, Christyn, and Olivia all committed during the November early signing period. So did Haley Jones and Aaliyah Boston.

Azzi is on record as saying she is "the worst decision maker" or something like that. That may mean that she won't decide until she has to. She also is a sweet kid who may have trouble telling coaches "no."

Based on the above, I think Azzi COULD wait until November to decide. If it takes her that long, we need to be patient. But if Geno can get commitments from any of Rivers, Moore, Iriafen, Ducharme, et al., he should take them.

Reaction Score
Azzi is worth waiting for, but Geno should offer other kids he likes. If that means a large class, he can deal with it later.

We really have no idea when Azzi will commit. Note, however, that Megan, Christyn, and Olivia all committed during the November early signing period. So did Haley Jones and Aaliyah Boston.

Azzi is on record as saying she is "the worst decision maker" or something like that. That may mean that she won't decide until she has to. She also is a sweet kid who may have trouble telling coaches "no."

Based on the above, I think Azzi COULD wait until November to decide. If it takes her that long, we need to be patient. But if Geno can get commitments from any of Rivers, Moore, Iriafen, Ducharme, et al., he should take them.
Iriafen or Moore for me. Good guards and wings are more plentiful. Can never have too many big dogs. Just keep rotating them.

Reaction Score
Just curious. Greenwich High School here in Connecticut has a freshman, Mackenzie Nelson, who is starting and leading the team in scoring. Is she on the recruiting radar anywhere? Ranked anywhere?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

:eek:If Azzi goes elsewhere then clearly it was because you offend the basketball gods. :D
IMO the next best guard options would be in order Saniya Rivers, Payton Verhulst, or Wofenbarger
In this matter I'm also aligned with @BobbyJ and UCONN also need to get a big forward.
I would put the big forwards in this order Moore, Iriafen, or Hollingshead.

Reaction Score
:eek:If Azzi goes elsewhere then clearly it was because you offend the basketball gods. :D
IMO the next best guard options would be in order Saniya Rivers, Payton Verhulst, or Wofenbarger
In this matter I'm also aligned with @BobbyJ and UCONN also need to get a big forward.
I would put the big forwards in this order Moore, Iriafen, or Hollingshead.
I don't disagree. I didn't put any of them in my prediction list since I haven't seen a lot of Geno interaction with them like I have seen with Fudd and Ducharme as well as Saylor and deBerry before they committed.

Reaction Score
I Think The 2021 class will be DeBerry, Poffenberger, Fudd & Ducharme
anything can happen at any time but they all have been to Storrs & watched games..

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I Think The 2021 class will be DeBerry, Poffenberger, Fudd & Ducharme
anything can happen at any time but they all have been to Storrs & watched games..

Keep in mind it's much easier for someone like Ducharme to come to games and the campus than it is for those on the west coast.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't disagree. I didn't put any of them in my prediction list since I haven't seen a lot of Geno interaction with them like I have seen with Fudd and Ducharme as well as Saylor and deBerry before they committed.
Keep in mind Geno can't be in two places at the same time. The Night that Geno was in DC watching Azzi, a member of the staff was in Cali looking at Iriafen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom