February 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

February 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Some interesting changes in ASGR's revamped 2021 rankings.

Amari DeBerry moved up from 10th to 4th while Saylor Poffenbarger fell from 7th to 10th.

Olivia Miles dropped from 2nd to 6th.

The biggest movers among UConn POI:

Kayla McPherson from 18th to 7th.

Jillian Hollingshead from 13th to 5th.

Kiki Iriafen from 17th to 12th

Jersey Wolfenbarger: from 25th to 14th

A few moved down too:

Caroline Ducharme: from 9th to 16th

Talia Von Oelhoffen: from 16th to 20th

Teonni Key: from 14th to 18th

Payton Verhulst: from 12th to 17th

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
2/6
Kiki Iriafen with the turnaround jumper. She scored 27 points Thursday.

Wow! Anyone else catch that controlled EXPLOSION once she pivoted and faced the basket? I'm trying to not get too excited but she reminded me of a couple of other left coast products Kristine Anigwe and Monique Billings. She would do very well at UCONN.

Reaction Score
Wow! Anyone else catch that controlled EXPLOSION once she pivoted and faced the basket? I'm trying to not get too excited but she reminded me of a couple of other left coast products Kristine Anigwe and Monique Billings. She would do very well at UCONN.
Would be interchangeable with Brady in the high-low. Both good shooters who would kill people with the foul line jumper.

Reaction Score
Liv's problem isn't quite how quickly she gets off the floor, but in making a left leg drop at all.
Correct. I meant the mechanics. Turning, getting the ball up into position quickly and releasing. Then of course we go to the jump hook. Like a lot of big kids, she seems afraid to get that non shooting hand off the ball and extend.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Correct. I meant the mechanics. Turning, getting the ball up into position quickly and releasing. Then of course we go to the jump hook. Like a lot of big kids, she seems afraid to get that non shooting hand off the ball and extend.
That's because those shots aren't in her arsenal. If they were we'd have seen them by now. To this point, not a glimpse. I don't think for Liv it's necessarily fear, but the need to put in the work. We have seen a rather febble up and under from Liv, but completion of that would entail spinning to her left. There has been no attempt at a short hook, a finger roll, finishing with either hand on either side of the hoop, dribbling in from the foul line, a scoop shot, or any kind of double pump. These things take years of practice, and as we've been told, that is something she doesn't suffer well. But clearly she seems to be working on all of that stuff now, although don't expect to see the results of it this year.

Reaction Score

The only problem I see with west coasters is that they don't even know how to say defense, never mind play it.

Reaction Score
That's because those shots aren't in her arsenal. If they were we'd have seen them by now. To this point, not a glimpse. I don't think for Liv it's necessarily fear, but the need to put in the work. We have seen a rather febble up and under from Liv, but completion of that would entail spinning to her left. There has been no attempt at a short hook, a finger roll, finishing with either hand on either side of the hoop, dribbling in from the foul line, a scoop shot, or any kind of double pump. These things take years of practice, and as we've been told, that is something she doesn't suffer well. But clearly she seems to be working on all of that stuff now, although don't expect to see the results of it this year.
That’s why I’ve questioned why this hasn’t been a staff priority for her. In a couple weeks a good offensive skills coach could cover all the basics of these 3-4 basic shots and footwork. Then a couple hours 3 days a week with a helper on a court would embed correct habits along with some scrimmaging to test them. IF, IF she wants it, get on the phone to N Collier’s guy and set up a few sessions. If not, she’ll stay as is. It’s her career.

Reaction Score
That’s why I’ve questioned why this hasn’t been a staff priority for her. In a couple weeks a good offensive skills coach could cover all the basics of these 3-4 basic shots and footwork. Then a couple hours 3 days a week with a helper on a court would embed correct habits along with some scrimmaging to test them. IF, IF she wants it, get on the phone to N Collier’s guy and set up a few sessions. If not, she’ll stay as is. It’s her career.

You're a coach? Not arguing.
You know how long it takes to turn players?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The thing is it has been a priority. But these type of skills can't be learned in a year. Learning a good drop step takes years; learning to use both legs takes longer. She hasn't even shown the the basics of a good left leg drop, and her right leg drop, as I've said, is still unrefined. But learning the basics of a move is not the same as knowing it. Liv knows the basics of an up and under, but she isn't close to that move becoming one of her staples. That takes constant repetition; years and years of repetition. Not 2 or 3 weeks.

From the moment Liv hit campus Geno has said time and again that she doesn't like to practice. Clearly it seems Liv had been living off of her athleticism, and as I've stated, she needed to be shown in real game time situations how important a varied attack around the hoop is. Taking an archetype, Stewie, as an example, it took years to develop her ball handling skills so that she felt comfortable in real time situations working her mark off the dribble. Stewie, and again this is an extreme example, from the moment of her first practice had all of those moves, yet it took years for us to see all of her arsenal, and the finger roll she showed us very late in the career...and not that often. The staff has had enough working on her strength, shot, stamina and understanding the offense. I think with Liv her junior year will be her real sophomore leap.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You're a coach? Not arguing.
You know how long it takes to turn players?
I have some background in it as an ex-coach. That would be my estimate for her if she put in the time over a summer.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have some background in it as an ex-coach. That would be my estimate for her if she put in the time over a summer.
You guys already know of my bias towards defense. ONO having more offensive moves would be nice but by far the most maddening thing that I think should have been correct with the help of coaching are her cheap fouls and swatting down on the ball while blocking shots.

Reaction Score
Gabby was from the west coast.

Of the current known west coast targets Iriafen, Rayah Marshall, and Londynn Jones have reps as defenders.

Gabby was from behind the Sierra's. :)

West coast defensive reps are graded on a curve. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
You guys already know of my bias towards defense. ONO having more offensive moves would be nice but by far the most maddening thing that I think should have been correct with the help of coaching are her cheap fouls and swatting down on the ball while blocking shots.

UConn has added an assistant coach that should help ONO in all phases of her game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
UConn has added an assistant coach that should help ONO in all phases of her game.
:eek:The person that taught that new assistant also remains on staff. I don’t think CD has forgotten how to coach. The question is not how good the teachers are, it is how willing the student is to learn and apply.

Reaction Score
The thing is it has been a priority. But these type of skills can't be learned in a year. Learning a good drop step takes years; learning to use both legs takes longer. She hasn't even shown the the basics of a good left leg drop, and her right leg drop, as I've said, is still unrefined. But learning the basics of a move is not the same as knowing it. Liv knows the basics of an up and under, but she isn't close to that move becoming one of her staples. That takes constant repetition; years and years of repetition. Not 2 or 3 weeks.

From the moment Liv hit campus Geno has said time and again that she doesn't like to practice. Clearly it seems Liv had been living off of her athleticism, and as I've stated, she needed to be shown in real game time situations how important a varied attack around the hoop is. Taking an archetype, Stewie, as an example, it took years to develop her ball handling skills so that she felt comfortable in real time situations working her mark off the dribble. Stewie, and again this is an extreme example, from the moment of her first practice had all of those moves, yet it took years for us to see all of her arsenal, and the finger roll she showed us very late in the career...and not that often. The staff has had enough working on her strength, shot, stamina and understanding the offense. I think with Liv her junior year will be her real sophomore leap.
Should’ve been more specific. Obviously not talking about a finished product here. My time frame would be to lay a solid foundation for a long term, ongoing project. She has to start somewhere and if she works for a summer, I think it would give her a good base going into next season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom