February 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

February 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread

Reaction Score
Boy, do we need some more bigs to compete against some of these teams- if Ono is 6'5 and next tallest regular player is 6-1 (is Aubrey 6-2?), that just can't defend & rebound when going against Baylor, tonight vs Oregon, and how tall is South Carolina?

Reaction Score
Boy, do we need some more bigs to compete against some of these teams- if Ono is 6'5 and next tallest regular player is 6-1 (is Aubrey 6-2?), that just can't defend & rebound when going against Baylor, tonight vs Oregon, and how tall is South Carolina?

Not just height, it is muscle....the posts get stripped in the paint all the time. Meg and Anna are the strongest and tend to get the contested rebounds.

Can Paige play defense or handle the ball vs good pressure? Could Westbrook be the PG?

Reaction Score

Next year think of this: You saw the game tonight? Sabrina had 4 turnovers in basically a halfcourt game. It seemed Aubrey and Anna with their length bothered her a bit. This year we lose one regular (Danger) and pick up at least 2 in Bueckers and Westbrook. There are 3 others in the 5'10 - 6'2 range. You think at least one of the 3 (Edwards, McLean, Muhr) will be good enough to be a good contributor, right?

So putting your defensive-head-coach-cap-on; you have at least 7 players in the 5'10 - 6'2 range and you saw them force 4 turnovers from someone like Sabrina tonight. What kind of a defense would you employ with that kind of height, skill, bench, and athleticism next year?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Next year think of this: You saw the game tonight? Sabrina had 4 turnovers in basically a halfcourt game. It seemed Aubrey and Anna with their length bothered her a bit. This year we lose one regular (Danger) and pick up at least 2 in Bueckers and Westbrook. There are 3 others in the 5'10 - 6'2 range. You think at least one of the 3 (Edwards, McLean, Muhr) will be good enough to be a good contributor, right?
So putting your defensive-head-coach-cap-on; you have at least 7 players in the 5'10 - 6'2 range and you saw them force 4 turnovers from someone like Sabrina tonight. What kind of a defense would you employ with that kind of height, skill, bench, and athleticism next year?
The perimeter defense will improve marginally because UCONN will have more depth and length. My concern remains the interior defense. As @BostonBay stated in another thread we have no interior presence on either end of the court. Just can't have perimeter players like Aubrey, Megan, Anna or Mir guarding 6'4" or taller players in the post on a regular and hope to be successful. On the offensive side we need a finisher at the rim and someone to get us easy baskets.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
To me, Amari's facial features look alot like Liv

1580856061641.png

Reaction Score

Edwards is about 6' 3" and maybe a little taller.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Dolan tries to balance allowing DeBerry the freedom to play beyond the paint, while knowing her post presence is likely the best plan of attack for the Billies.

"I'm just working on everything in my game," DeBerry said. "I don't want to be just a post player. When the time comes that I need to be out beyond the three or beyond the paint I want to be able to execute everything that I can the right way. I don't want to be stuck out there holding the ball waiting for someone to come get to me. I want to be able to make plays and just be an all-around player."

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Slu

Is Shay 21 or 22? The tweet says 22.
Ducharme and Saylor look to be the same height. They both about 6?
Is Ducharme good enough to take even if they get Fudd?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Saylor is reportedly 4” taller. She looks 6’2” In person. Must be the camera angle.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Slu

Is Shay 21 or 22? The tweet says 22.
Ducharme and Saylor look to be the same height. They both about 6?
Is Ducharme good enough to take even if they get Fudd?

Bollin's 2022. That was my mistake.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I may switch from Saylor’s game on Tuesday to Azzi’s game. Azzi is in my hometown tonight, but alas, I’m in Phoenix.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Saylor is reportedly 4” taller. She looks 6’2” In person. Must be the camera angle.

Figuring out actual height on basketball players is a losing battle. Ducharme is listed at 5-11 by ESPN but 6-1 by Prospects Nation. Fudd and Bueckers get listed the same height but look at any video or pic of them together and it's clear Paige is a couple inches taller.

Reaction Score
The perimeter defense will improve marginally because UCONN will have more depth and length. My concern remains the interior defense. As @BostonBay stated in another thread we have no interior presence on either end of the court. Just can't have perimeter players like Aubrey, Megan, Anna or Mir guarding 6'4" or taller players in the post on a regular and hope to be successful. On the offensive side we need a finisher at the rim and someone to get us easy baskets.

Yes UCONN will still be flawed next year. But I think the defense will improve exponentially. They are going to have a minimum of 6 players in the 5'10 -6'1 range and whatever Edwards is. They will be able to pressure the ball the whole game without tiring. They are going to have 4 upperclassmen instead of this year - 2. Liv is going to get better too.

This team in their regular lineup has 1 sr, 1 jr, 2 soph, and 2 frosh. It's mostly a 6 player team with 4 underclassmen. How many teams are better than UCONN this year? Maybe 6? 7 at tops? Next year they add more experience, more quality, and more players. They have the potential of an amazing pressure team. We can see this year and last year when UCONN goes against size and quality it's over. Next year you can pressure and trap more with a potential of creating chaos making it at difficult for teams to get into their half-court sets. AT least next year UCONN has a chance to influence pace. Unlike this year the only way they can influence pace vs a quality team is hit outside shots. Next year their fullcourt pressure and trapping has some serious potential other just hitting outside shots in the halfcourt which they have to do all the time vs quality big teams.

Three years ago UCONN went 36-1 and their only loss was a last second shot in overtime. They were small. They had just 6 players. They don't have to be "that" team. But potentially their size to press and they have so many ballhandlers. Will be exciting to see if Geno loves the athleticism.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom