Favorite UCONN moment | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Favorite UCONN moment

Reaction Score
3/10/11 Kemba, Pitt, last shot, man down, BE Champs, Calhoun raising the roof

Reaction Score
For me it was the 2004 championship weekend. I was a senior and it was a great way to end my 4 years there.

I remember after Ok4 hit the free throws to put us up 4 running outside with everyone else to go party. Wasn't until the next day I realized we won by a point bc of Duhon's pointless 3.

Being in Greensboro for Rip's fallback. Not only was it a great win but boy were we damn happy we didn't drive about 12 hours to see a terrible loss. Also walking out of there the UNC fans were really worried. To their credit, after we lost to that Vince Carter team, they were all gracious and said next year is your year.

That being said, the next year was 1999...enough said. What sticks out for me in that tourney though is the beautiful behind the back pass KEA made to someone on a fast break layup in the elite 8 against Gonzaga to take the lead or seal the game (can't remember which, just remember it being a killer for Gonzaga). I still say Gonzaga being in that game is what propelled their program.

So many more to mention, from Kemble to Bazz to Jalen's shot to Tate's, to the MSU game in MSG, to Marcus Williams doing chin-ups on the nets in Cuse and then us smashing them at their place, to KEA jumping on the table, to Taliek's 40 footer, etc.

Also, I know this is a men's board but how many schools can make a list like this for the men and the women? The '95 season, the crazy win streak, the wars with Tenn and then ND recently, from Lobo to Svet to Taurasi to Moore to Stewart, etc.

Don't bash bc I brought up the women, just cool to think about how we can do this for both teams and no other school really can.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Nadav vs. 'Zo on the foul line was a particularly great moment nobody's mentioned.

Also, this sequence during what is still, and might always be our best-ever regular season win:

Reaction Score
For me, might sound corny, but my favorite UConn moment came from our 1987-88 season; NIT Championship season. The game against West Virginia. Down two, Tate George hit a shot that tied the game sending our beloved Huskies on a magical run to win the NIT title.

Reaction Score
For me, might sound corny, but my favorite UConn moment came from our 1987-88 season; NIT Championship season. The game against West Virginia. Down two, Tate George hit a shot that tied the game sending our beloved Huskies on a magical run to win the NIT title.

This is my favorite moment because it also was the moment our program started to make some noise on the national level.

Reaction Score
here's a totally obscure one... hopefully the vid starts in the right place, but watch 44:30-45:00. Ridiculous three play sequence. If Jonathan Hargett had completed his play it may have gone down as one of the most ridiculous things ever. Just the audacity to try that, down 20, is mindboggling.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Comeback vs Dook in the National Semi-Final in 2004

I was there, Dook fans AND PLAYERS were all celebrating with 3 minutes left. I told my buddy it's way to early for the Dook team to be on the court celebrating up 8 with 3 minutes to go . As it turned out, we quickly scored 5 straight and they couldn't breath anymore

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

I was there, Dook fans AND PLAYERS were all celebrating with 3 minutes left. I told my buddy it's way to early for the Dook team to be on the court celebrating up 8 with 3 minutes to go . As it turned out, we quickly scored 5 straight and they couldn't breath anymore
The execution those last 3 minutes. They were so calm and focused it was incredible.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The most recent moment for me was early in the 2014 NC game. I remember feeling good, KY was getting all the love but I was telling myself that they had to get lucky to beat two Big Ten teams while we had the best Big Ten team throwing passes into the stands. Not just that, we beat the SEC champ twice. Still I had that little nagging feeling, are we going to be OK inside? Two minutes in, Deandre Daniels beats one guy off the dribble and dunks in another guys face. I immediately thought, "We got this!" Check the 32:17 mark below.

Reaction Score
April 7, 2014

I didn't go to UConn but grew up religiously watching games with my dad. As a young kid in the early 90s, I remember anxiously awaiting the local newspaper to see if their ranking climbed. We were a blue collar family, and even when my dad starting working the graveyard shift at a factory, he'd call me during his lunch break to hear about the games. I was 11yrs old in '94 when Donyell missed 2 free throws against Florida and my dad couldn't believe it as I described the sequence of events.

And that's how I remember growing up. My dad, who didn't speak great English and loved basketball, always found time to watch games and debate who was playing well. He loved Calhoun's passion, appreciated Ray Allen's stroke more than most, and found joy in El-Amin's bravado. I was a junior in college when they won in '04 and we spoke during every timeout of that Duke game. We both rejoiced and took pain in the wins and losses but more than anything, bonded always over our team.

I'll never forget that Friday morning phone call in May 2013. I was planning on heading home that day to visit my parents when I found out my dad unexpectedly passed away at the age of 53. I was shattered and still think about him every hour of every day.

When the 2014 season started, I had a hard time watching. It was difficult to accept that I wouldn't be having conversations with my dad during timeouts and halftime. But as the season progressed, I found more and more comfort. I started feeling like he was watching with me and there was a connection to an old sense of sharing the team with him.

After cheering them on at MSG as they miraculously made the Final Four, I booked flights and tickets. I headed down to Dallas excited to see the Final Four and expecting them to fall short to Florida. After that win, I changed my flight and decided to stay by myself for the Championship on Monday night. The whole experience was incredible as the team fought to win Title #4 just 10 months after the biggest loss of my life.

After the game, I walked into an empty bar at midnight in North Texas. The place was on the verge of closing but offered last call. I ordered two bottles of Coors Light (his faveorite) and enjoyed one more UConn win. I finished my drink and left his on the bar. I've never been overly spiritual, but I know he was with me that day. And I'll always be grateful for everything UConn gave us.

Reaction Score
April 7, 2014

I didn't go to UConn but grew up religiously watching games with my dad. As a young kid in the early 90s, I remember anxiously awaiting the local newspaper to see if their ranking climbed. We were a blue collar family, and even when my dad starting working the graveyard shift at a factory, he'd call me during his lunch break to hear about the games. I was 11yrs old in '94 when Donyell missed 2 free throws against Florida and my dad couldn't believe it as I described the sequence of events.

And that's how I remember growing up. My dad, who didn't speak great English and loved basketball, always found time to watch games and debate who was playing well. He loved Calhoun's passion, appreciated Ray Allen's stroke more than most, and found joy in El-Amin's bravado. I was a junior in college when they won in '04 and we spoke during every timeout of that Duke game. We both rejoiced and took pain in the wins and losses but more than anything, bonded always over our team.

I'll never forget that Friday morning phone call in May 2013. I was planning on heading home that day to visit my parents when I found out my dad unexpectedly passed away at the age of 53. I was shattered and still think about him every hour of every day.

When the 2014 season started, I had a hard time watching. It was difficult to accept that I wouldn't be having conversations with my dad during timeouts and halftime. But as the season progressed, I found more and more comfort. I started feeling like he was watching with me and there was a connection to an old sense of sharing the team with him.

After cheering them on at MSG as they miraculously made the Final Four, I booked flights and tickets. I headed down to Dallas excited to see the Final Four and expecting them to fall short to Florida. After that win, I changed my flight and decided to stay by myself for the Championship on Monday night. The whole experience was incredible as the team fought to win Title #4 just 10 months after the biggest loss of my life.

After the game, I walked into an empty bar at midnight in North Texas. The place was on the verge of closing but offered last call. I ordered two bottles of Coors Light (his faveorite) and enjoyed one more UConn win. I finished my drink and left his on the bar. I've never been overly spiritual, but I know he was with me that day. And I'll always be grateful for everything UConn gave us.

Reaction Score
Working on Car0n Butler highlights from 2002 season and this sequence was pretty great. 4 steals in first 5:30 of the game for Butler and Kevin Stallings' look of complete despair is the cherry on top.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

They should've been happy just to be in it due to the 2 BS fouls on Okafor that kept him out the first half.

the Q

Reaction Score
On the court: For me it has to be 1999. After all the time watching and not getting over the hump. Christian Laetner. Donyell's missed FTs. The track meet with UCLA. Missippi St.

To finally get over the hump, and to do against what was probably Coach K's best team ever, when they were heavy dogs despite being the #2 overall seed. The game itself was fantastic. You saw so many future NBA players make big plays in that game. And then you have the stop by Moore (where I held my breath thinking they bailed out Langdon with a foul) and then playing great D that Langdon coudln't even come close to getting a shot off despite having 5 seconds left...it was a UConn way to end it.

the Q

Reaction Score
Now, not on the court:

February 13, 1993. A perfectly non-descript game against Miami during the infamous Constanatine Popa era. I was 7.

UConn wins the game and I start seeing the Miami players walking across the court (with a full pizza for each player in hand, lol).

Finally a UConn player comes out: Donyell Marshall. I ask my parents if I can go get autographs of the players. They say yes and I rush out onto the floor to meet Donyell. He signs something for me and another kid, and I ask him where we can get more autographs. He tells me to go through this door (that he just came out of), take a left and go in the first door on the right.

We follow his instructs...it's the freaking locker room.

We go inside and there's music just blasting out a stereo. Donny Marshall is dancing around the room in his seasonally appropriate heart shaped boxers. We get a few funny looks and I say "ummm, donyell told us to come here" and that settled everything. One guy comes up, welcomes us, introduces himself, and then takes us around to meet every player in the locker room. I got all the autographs I could've wanted. Boo Willingham gave me his game used wrist band (signed it too) and a coke.

That guy who took us around the room?

Kevin Ollie.

I doubt he even remembers doing all that for me. But I know I'll never forget it.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
They should've been happy just to be in it due to the 2 BS fouls on Okafor that kept him out the first half.

No kidding, and don't forget the third foul at the start of the 2nd half.

I always laugh at Dookies who complained the Refs stole the game from them, when in reality the Refs kept Dook in the game by taking Okafor out of the game

It was men against boys when Meka was on the court

Reaction Score
Agree with most of the favorite moments mentioned but to go back further was Lyman Depriest playing d on Dana barros to get the the NIT final in 88. That's when I knew Calhoun could lead us to the promised land

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Now, not on the court:

February 13, 1993... ...Kevin Ollie.

I doubt he even remembers doing all that for me. But I know I'll never forget it.

Might as well shut this thread down. You win.

Reaction Score
First post ever. Long time lurker.

I went to Uconn 2001-2005 after being born and raised in CT for my whole life. My high school girlfriend went to Duke and we dated remotely my first couple of years of college. She broke up with me my sophomore year and I went I through hell a young and newly single person. She was on the "rise" as a underclassman girl and I was a disaster as an underclassman guy. Lots of hard times but my junior year came and I joined a professional co-Ed business fraternity where a new pretty girl became interested in me. First girl since I broke up with my ex who I was interested in.

Fast forward to the final four game on my fraternity's formal night. My brother and I carried a 50" CRT TV to the event and we hooked that beast up to cable in the lobby and the whole fraternity watched along with lil johns "yeah" being blatpsted in the background. With the new girl wrapped around my waist we all watched Emeka Okafor wrestle away a rebound and and put back the winning shot against Duke to send uconn to the finals.

I knew that night that my life was going to be won or lost. God was on MY side and in that exact moment I knew that I had won. Duke and my ex. My life was going to be ok. Got the girl and Uconn went home winners.

To this day I laugh and cry when I think about it. Actually not as big of a deal as it was in the moment but still look back on it fondly. This thread meant doing to me that I am writing this from my honeymoon.

Reaction Score
Okafor and Gordon puttin in work as freshmen in an overtime win against Arizona. Imagine if Caron had stayed his junior year. Possibly back to back National champs. Also Caron elite 8 against Maryland.

Reaction Score
I don't think this was mentioned but Gordon's go ahead basket against Pitt in the 04 BET Championship it was the culminating moment for Gordon my all time favorite who up until the BET that year was an ultra talented but inconsistent superstar.

In person for me would be Bazz's game winner against Florida and secondly Omar's tying three pointer against G'town.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom