Favorite Non Connecticut Team and/or Player | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Favorite Non Connecticut Team and/or Player

Reaction Score
The PC team that went to the Final Four and had Billy Donovan was fun to watch and easy to root for.

Reaction Score
Chris Corchiani/Tom Gugliotta - N.C. State
John Pinone - Even though we lost him to Nova (Soft spot for South Catholic)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Carver High and Ken Reeves

Had a neighbor as I was growing up who went to college with Ken Howard. As a kid and adolescent was always pissed the nerd from Happy Days was getting more run than the coach from Carver High. Still think I was justified.

Reaction Score
You know what's funny is when I was scraping the driveway at home honing my shooting skills in the winter it all started with the likes of Howard Porter, Jim McDaniel, Rex Morgan, Larry Kenon, Pistol Pete, Ernie D, David Thompson, Adrian Dantley and our own Poughkeepsie Popper, Cal Chapman, Jimmy Foster, Al Vaughn, Bobby Boyd and Staak.

Thats's where college hoops started for me.
And Gary Custick. Chapman and Custick, bookend forwards. Listened to all their games on the radio as a kid.

Reaction Score
Gotta love JIMMER FREDETTE, Salim Stoudamire from Zona in the early 2000’s and two of the best that never was Greg Oden and Mike Beasley.

Reaction Score
Randolph Childress
Rodney Rogers
Rodney Monroe
Michael Graham
Reggie Lewis
Len Bias
Marcus Fizer
Graham was a brute, and one of the most physical players I ever saw. Fizer had an all around skill set, but never really panned out as a pro. Bias and Lewis could have been really special and their loss really hurt the Celtics for many years.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Oden kind of like Sam Bowie with both never really showcasing their potential due to injuries.
Ironic that they were picked directed in front of a transformative all-time all-world All-NBA player by the same franchise.

"Bobby Knight, who coached Michael Jordan during the ‘84 Olympic trials, told the Trail Blazers GM (Stu Inman) to draft MJ.

However, he rejected his advice, saying 'But we need a center.' Knight responded 'So play him at center!'”

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Gotta love JIMMER FREDETTE, Salim Stoudamire from Zona in the early 2000’s and two of the best that never was Greg Oden and Mike Beasley.

Jimmer's obviously deserved POY award seen below - what a joke.
gold medal olympics GIF

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Michael Adams of BC
Adams (1981-85) lettered four seasons and started three at guard for Boston College under then-coach Gary Williams. He helped the Eagles to a four-year record of 85-40 including one NIT and three NCAA Tournament appearances. A three-time, second-team All-Big East selection in 1983, 84 and 85, he was also an NABC All-District honoree in the same years. He still ranks 12th on the Boston College career scoring list with 1,650 points, averaging 13.9 points a game, is 7th on the BC career assist list with 475 assists and is the Eagles' all-time leader in steals with 275. A third-round selection of the Sacramento Kings in the 1985 NBA Draft, he went on to an 11-year professional career in which he scored 9,621 career points and had 4,209 assists with Sacramento, Washington, Denver and Charlotte. A native of Hartford, Conn., he currently resides in Bowie, Md.

Also, Rich Shrigley of BC who was a fixture and on ball defender on inbound plays on the "Chinese fire drill" substitute defense of coach Dr Tom Davis. Davis would send a complete new team out and Rich (6' 8") used to look like he was doing jumping jack exercises. I can still see him now.

Good times in the old BE.

Reaction Score
Wayne Gretzky was the first dominating athlete ever I saw that didn't dominate by athleticism. He was NOT bigger and stronger than other players. Nor was he the fastest or quickest guy on the ice. He didn't have the hardest shot.

He was simply smarter and more skilled than those around him. That made him unstoppable. He played the game in the future while other players were confined to the present.

The first UConn opponent that I saw who had some of what Gretzky has was Malik Sealy form St Johns. Obviously Sealy was nowhere near the Gretzky level. But he was so smooth. The game was so easy for him. I would watch him and wish the Huskies could have a guy like that. And we eventually did when Ray Allen came down the heavens.
Have you ever seen this?

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
We must be the same age. This is basically dead on for me, maybe take out the Wake guys and substitute Armon Hammer and Anderson Hunt for UNLV. There are a few more to add: Lowell Hamilton, Nick Anderson, Kenny Battle, etc from that Illinois team of jumping jacks, Keith Gatling from Maryland, Derrick Chievous from Mizzou, Mel Turpin from Ky, Baskerville Holmes, Keith Lee and Andre Turner from Memphis St.

But like you say, Wingate/Williams, Tisdale, Jerome Lane...those are the absolutely the guys I wanted to be when I was a youngster.
Love Chievous aka the Band-Aid man.

Reaction Score
Have you ever seen this?

I'd like to know their ages. I don't know how Pele wouldn't have been the easy winner unless he was coasting.

edit: Pele was about 16 years older than Leonard and Borg and 21 years older than Gretzky.
Leonard 1956
Gretzky 1961
Pele 1940
Borg 1956

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Early years in Missouri and grew up a huge fan of Norm Stewart's Tigers. My favorite team while in grade-middle school was the Sundvold- Ricky Frazier-Stipanovich. St. Louis and Detroit :) Possessed enough talent on a few of occasions to where he should have pushed to final eights on a more consistent basis. The Big Eight Battles throughout the 80's, early 90's was sick.

A Mizzou tidbit. I know or knew Anthony Peeler well threw my cousin, KC roots. The summer before my sophomore year in college, I'm playing outdoors at a KC area hoop hotspot ( for KC oleheads help, 77th & Wyandotte?) All D-1, overseas exclusive run. I'm playing against AP, I'm getting mine, a dunk even, get hyped begin to talk junk to Peeler. He proceeds to calmly (it seemed like) just come down and dunk on me leaning off two feet in front of a lot of folks. I was shocked and embarrassed and that's when I knew that Peeler was special. He had an extra level at his leisure and decided to use it to shut me up?

Also, big fan of Maryland pre-Bias. I was and remain a huge Adrian Branch fan. His freshman year may have been his best. I'm tall, not Branch's 6'8", but tall enough to appreciate how unique in the college game it was for such a tall guy to handle the rock so effortlessly without backing you down ala Magic. Anyhow that team had Big Ben Coleman, Herman Veal, Jeff Adkins, and Mothersbaugh????. Great talent that couldn't overcome great UNC & UVA (Sampson & Crew) talent consistently enough to make bigger things happen.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Michael Adams of BC
Adams (1981-85) lettered four seasons and started three at guard for Boston College under then-coach Gary Williams. He helped the Eagles to a four-year record of 85-40 including one NIT and three NCAA Tournament appearances. A three-time, second-team All-Big East selection in 1983, 84 and 85, he was also an NABC All-District honoree in the same years. He still ranks 12th on the Boston College career scoring list with 1,650 points, averaging 13.9 points a game, is 7th on the BC career assist list with 475 assists and is the Eagles' all-time leader in steals with 275. A third-round selection of the Sacramento Kings in the 1985 NBA Draft, he went on to an 11-year professional career in which he scored 9,621 career points and had 4,209 assists with Sacramento, Washington, Denver and Charlotte. A native of Hartford, Conn., he currently resides in Bowie, Md.

Also, Rich Shrigley of BC who was a fixture and on ball defender on inbound plays on the "Chinese fire drill" substitute defense of coach Dr Tom Davis. Davis would send a complete new team out and Rich (6' 8") used to look like he was doing jumping jack exercises. I can still see him now.

Good times in the old BE.
Rich Shrigley, skinny guy, somewhat properly mustachioed given the 80's? Frantic? I remember that guy. College version of Bobby Jones of the Sixers. What a nuisance.

Reaction Score
I'd like to know their ages. I don't know how Pele wouldn't have been the easy winner unless he was coasting.

edit: Pele was about 16 years older than Leonard and Borg and 21 years older than Gretzky.
Leonard 1956
Gretzky 1961
Pele 1940
Borg 1956
Gretzky was 21, Pele was 42.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Early years in Missouri and grew up a huge fan of Norm Stewart's Tigers. My favorite team while in grade-middle school was the Sundvold- Ricky Frazier-Stipanovich. St. Louis and Detroit :) Possessed enough talent on a few of occasions to where he should have pushed to final eights on a more consistent basis. The Big Eight Battles throughout the 80's, early 90's was sick.

A Mizzou tidbit. I know or knew Anthony Peeler well threw my cousin, KC roots. The summer before my sophomore year in college, I'm playing outdoors at a KC area hoop hotspot ( for KC oleheads help, 77th & Wyandotte?) All D-1, overseas exclusive run. I'm playing against AP, I'm getting mine, a dunk even, get hyped begin to talk junk to Peeler. He proceeds to calmly (it seemed like) just come down and dunk on me leaning off two feet in front of a lot of folks. I was shocked and embarrassed and that's when I knew that Peeler was special. He had an extra level at his leisure and decided to use it to shut me up?

Also, big fan of Maryland pre-Bias. I was and remain a huge Adrian Branch fan. His freshman year may have been his best. I'm tall, not Branch's 6'8", but tall enough to appreciate how unique in the college game it was for such a tall guy to handle the rock so effortlessly without backing you down ala Magic. Anyhow that team had Big Ben Coleman, Herman Veal, Jeff Adkins, and Mothersbaugh????. Great talent that couldn't overcome great UNC & UVA (Sampson & Crew) talent consistently enough to make bigger things happen.
'herman veal?'
no dis intended, but when i saw that, i cracked up laughing. 'herman veal?' then, i checked him out, and found this:
Coach K, condoms and the evolution of Duke’s Cameron Crazies | Raleigh News & Observer
apparently, his fame and impact went far beyond parmesan, saltimboca, or piccata.
(sorry, but i couldn't not pick up that cookie.... lol)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom