Favorite Non Connecticut Team and/or Player | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Favorite Non Connecticut Team and/or Player

Reaction Score
Growing up in the New Haven area, I used to like the Yale basketball teams in the early 1960's featuring such players as Rick Kaminsky (drafted by the Philadelphia 76ers) and later became a surgeon, and crafty point guard Denny Lynch who the last I read, lives on the shoreline and was an investment banker. Also, I enjoyed watching Bobby Trupin (drafted by the Knicks in 1965) who served as executive director at Kutscher's Sports Academy in Monticello from 1976 to 1998.

Deliberate style of play, well coached and hustlers.

Down the road though, Vancisin had like 7 straight losing seasons and was let go.

If anyone grew up in the New Haven area then, or followed Yale, there is an interesting article below.

In a video interview with Rick Kaminsky, he pointed out that Yale recruited Bill Bradley, who almost went to Duke, but chose Princeton instead.

Actually, UConn is scheduling Yale in football. I think Scheduling them for BB would give us a good OOC game.

Reaction Score
Gretzky was 21, Pele was 42.
That explains it. Pele was 37 when he retired from the Cosmos. I would have pulled a couple of hammies. What a great team name, Cosmos.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Loved Marcus Smart and the Okie State teams - Tony Allen, Joey Graham, John Lucas III, Big Country Reeves, James Anderson, Desmond Mason etc. Travis Ford and the Suttons as coaches
Still love the team
Who didn't like Pistol Pete!!!
Still my all time favorite teams are those that beat Dook, Kensucky and Cuse
I was at the Meadowlands when Martelli's St. Joe's team (with Jameer Nelson and Delonte West) went against John Lucas' OK State team for a spot in the Final 4. St. Joe's had a three at the buzzer to win it but missed. Heck of a game.

Reaction Score
I was at the Meadowlands when Martelli's St. Joe's team (with Jameer Nelson and Delonte West) went against John Lucas' OK State team for a spot in the Final 4. St. Joe's had a three at the buzzer to win it but missed. Heck of a game.
And who might that team, be? ;)

Reaction Score
Loved Marcus Smart and the Okie State teams - Tony Allen, Joey Graham, John Lucas III, Big Country Reeves, James Anderson, Desmond Mason etc. Travis Ford and the Suttons as coaches
Still love the team
Who didn't like Pistol Pete!!!
Still my all time favorite teams are those that beat Dook, Kensucky and Cuse
And who might that team be? ;)

Reaction Score
I was there as well, was there for the round before too. Leaving the arena on the walk to the car rides home we were all chanting UConn.

Reaction Score
Although it may be a sin on the boneyard because he was a dookie, I loved watching Bobby Hurley play. Little punky looking dude who played his ass off.

Reaction Score
I enjoyed watching Carmelo Anthony at Cuse. He played like an unstoppable force. And looking back it kinda shows that without the one super stud they really haven't accomplished much.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I enjoyed watching Carmelo Anthony at Cuse. He played like an unstoppable force. And looking back it kinda shows that without the one super stud they really haven't accomplished much.

Mr. unstoppable force never beat UConn.

Just saying.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Remember we almost had Corchiani as a transfer?

Pinone could never root for him despite being a CT guy, just not a likable dude!
Never heard about Corchiani possibly transferring in.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
'herman veal?'
no dis intended, but when i saw that, i cracked up laughing. 'herman veal?' then, i checked him out, and found this:
Coach K, condoms and the evolution of Duke’s Cameron Crazies | Raleigh News & Observer
apparently, his fame and impact went far beyond parmesan, saltimboca, or piccata.
(sorry, but i couldn't not pick up that cookie.... lol)
Great article, don't remember the Veal allegations, I do not remember Lorenzo and the pizza caper matter at NC State. I guess he became to full of himself. Exit stage left.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I actually really liked Lawrence Moten. He was smooth. As far as a team is concerned, I've liked West Virginia since they beat Chris Paul and Wake Forest. I also really enjoyed watching Providence beat Duke back in the 90s. So I don't hate Providence.
Moten, master of the baseline tip-toe.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Wayne Gretzky was the first dominating athlete ever I saw that didn't dominate by athleticism. He was NOT bigger and stronger than other players. Nor was he the fastest or quickest guy on the ice. He didn't have the hardest shot.

He was simply smarter and more skilled than those around him. That made him unstoppable. He played the game in the future while other players were confined to the present.

The first UConn opponent that I saw who had some of what Gretzky has was Malik Sealy form St Johns. Obviously Sealy was nowhere near the Gretzky level. But he was so smooth. The game was so easy for him. I would watch him and wish the Huskies could have a guy like that. And we eventually did when Ray Allen came down the heavens.
Well said about Sealy, such a smooth game.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
This walk through memory lane has jogged my memories:
I need to add the Al Maguire led Maurice Lucas Marquette team - also had an excellent clutch point guard
Dantley made me think of Austin Carr at Notre Dame that was exciting to watch
I liked Mark Aguire at Depaul
Rooted for South Carolina somewhat when they were in the ACC with (Dunleavy?)
Rooted for Maryland for a short while when Tom Roy was there, followed by Len Elmore, & Bias
Surprised no one has mentioned Magic, Bird, or the Quinn Buckner Indiana teams, (I only rooted for Ind St)
Huge Al and Mark Aguirre often enjoying Al's wonderful commentary of Mark.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
How do I get heat for a good blue collar guy like Blair while these guys are into felons and douches (or both in Iverson’s case) from other rivals with nothing?
He roughed up our Hasheem.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I'd like to know their ages. I don't know how Pele wouldn't have been the easy winner unless he was coasting.

edit: Pele was about 16 years older than Leonard and Borg and 21 years older than Gretzky.
Leonard 1956
Gretzky 1961
Pele 1940
Borg 1956
Did Sugar Ray finish last? I guess his hand speed offset his lack of foot-speed.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
McNamara and Devendorf from Cuse..... WTH?!!! This thread is a sacrilege.

I’m not looking through this thread, so tell me who said that...TELL ME!!!

I’m not against liking players from other teams, even hated ones. But those 2 guys should be on NO ONES LIST.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I’m not looking through this thread, so tell me who said that...TELL ME!!!

I’m not against liking players from other teams, even hated ones. But those 2 guys should be on NO ONES LIST.

Casual fans are drawn to players like McNamara and Devendorf for the same reason some women are drawn to men in prison. I don't know what is that reason, but it exists.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom