favorite hot sauce | Page 3 | The Boneyard

favorite hot sauce

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Not a "hot" sauce--more sweet and tangy--but I also love Salsa Lizano from Costa Rica. Fell in love with it when we honeymooned there and it was an ubiquitous condiment. Ordered a few cases over the years and had them shipped, and now realize I need to reorder because I am out and it's been awhile. Great on rice and beans, eggs, chicken and lots of other stuff.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I used to always do the "hottest" wing challenges and even entered a few contests.

When I turned like 28/29, I just couldn't do it anymore. Just wrecks my system. I can barely eat generic mild sauces anymore with wishing I didn't the next day.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Marie Sharp's... Nothing really comes close in my book

Attachments

• 51MSfOlZgdL._AC_SY400_.jpg
    51MSfOlZgdL._AC_SY400_.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 32

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Didn't read all of the posts but I've veered away from Frank's and more toward Texas Pete's as my go-to cayenne sauce.

WaterDawg

Lurker Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
Yup, I’m a big Sriracha fan too. Plenty of good flavor with just the right touch of heat IMO. Love it on pizza.

Reaction Score
Eggs - Tabasco
Chicken - Texas Pete
Soups - Sriracha
Rice & Beans - Cholula
Wings - Franks base, mixed with a variety of whatever's available and a splash of Dave's Insanity Sauce to keep the family at bay

Reaction Score
Not a "hot" sauce--more sweet and tangy--but I also love Salsa Lizano from Costa Rica. Fell in love with it when we honeymooned there and it was an ubiquitous condiment. Ordered a few cases over the years and had them shipped, and now realize I need to reorder because I am out and it's been awhile. Great on rice and beans, eggs, chicken and lots of other stuff.
I love Salsa Lizano, also love Aji Verde (Peruvian Green Sauce.)

Reaction Score
In Thailand there's always a small bowl of prik nam bpla on the table. It's a nice combo of fishy salty and spicy. I don't often have to add much spice to Thai food.

Reaction Score
Found this to be really good on Mexican and other non-Asian dishes. Great stuff.
That’s what my wife makes, only way better. That one is very salty IMO

Reaction Score
this is my all around go to.

But I have about 40-50 at my house I use at different times for different things.

But my all purpose non specialty default that I use on pretty much everything daily is this:

1117-01__68271.1537671036.jpg
That’s a good one. We have a bottle of it in the kitchen at the shop I work in. The owner is Mexican so we always get all kinds of stuff like this.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Found this to be really good on Mexican and other non-Asian dishes. Great stuff.

Makes Mexican dishes taste decidedly non-Mexican. Pretty much true for all Asian hot sauces. Chile sauces are developed using chiles from those regions for that region's cuisine. Even when I throw some gochujang in a Chinese stir-fry, it no longer tastes Chinese. I tend to stick with what's natural for whatever I'm cooking, but that's just me.

I'm pretty particular about stuff like this though, probably moreso than many. Something like August's green sauce - I use that on green chilaquiles and enchiladas verdes but I find I like it more with chicken and certain pork dishes rather than beef. Red chile sauces simply work better with beef for me. But never chile sauce on top of a mole sauce.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Makes Mexican dishes taste decidedly non-Mexican. Pretty much true for all Asian hot sauces. Chilie sauces are developed using chiles from those regions for that region's cuisine. Even when I throw some gochujang in a Chinese stir-fry, it no longer tastes Chinese. I tend to stick with what's natural for whatever I'm cooking, but that's just me.

I'm pretty particular about stuff like this though, probably moreso than many. Something like August's green sauce - I use that on green chilaquiles and enchiladas verdes but I find I like it more with chicken and certain pork dishes rather than beef. Red chile sauces simply work better with beef for me. But never chile sauce on top of a mole sauce.
This is true, though I do use gochujang on pizzas that can use some more flavor. The combination of red pepper flakes and gochujang is quite good.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
this is my all around go to.

But I have about 40-50 at my house I use at different times for different things.

But my all purpose non specialty default that I use on pretty much everything daily is this:

1117-01__68271.1537671036.jpg
$1.99 for red at Price Rite. No green available.

Better still, 99¢ for Tapatío.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
Tapatío all the way for me. The real consensus seems to be original Tabasco is trash.

Reaction Score
A couple of my Panamanian buddies here in Jacksonville started their own hot sauce company. I love it: Howler Monkey

I have to agree with this one. I've tried other hot sauces as well but Howler Monkey Sauce not only has some heat, it also has flavor. If you've never tried it before, give it a go and see what you think. They use a pepper native to Panama called the Ahi Chombo for their base. I use it on just about everything, especially grilled beef.

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score
I just got a bottle of Marie Sharp's because the store was out of my regular and DAMN IT IS GOOD.

Before that, I had been buying up all the local Stop & Shop's Sontava, (regular habenero, not that mango habenero junk)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom