favorite hot sauce | Page 2 | The Boneyard

favorite hot sauce

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Went to Teotihuacan last time, looking for an overnight somewhere outside the city this time. You ever been to Puebla City, Cuernavaca or Tlaxcala?

Been to Cuernavaca. Didn't think all that much of it but also didn't spend a ton of time exploring. But the drive out was two parts pretty one part terrifying.

I don't know if there are hotels (I assume there are some AirBnBs) in Malinalco, but that was one of my favorite towns. Owners of the company I worked for had a sweet house out there with an open air kitchen. You feel you're in a different country/century - burros on the street hauling carts, led by guys with huge somberos. Like stepping into a spaghetti western scene. Some interesting pre-Colombian Aztec sites nearby.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
A couple of my Panamanian buddies here in Jacksonville started their own hot sauce company. I love it: Howler Monkey

Reaction Score
About 20 years ago I made my own hot sauce from habaneros I grew in my garden. I was fortunate that it was a nice day out and I cooked it outside on the side burner of the grill. Even with goggles and gloves on the cloud of capsicum around the pot was almost impenetrable. The resulting hot sauce was hotter than anything I've ever tried. It actually became a novelty. I would take it to parties and have people just put a dot on their finger to taste and watch their pain. I love hot sauces hence the reason I attempted to make my own. but this was so hot it was unusable.

edit- They may have been Scotch bonnet's or a combination of habaneros and scotch bonnets.

Reaction Score
Iguana XXX Atomic Hot Sauce. It's a habanero based hot sauce, so its spicy, but it won't blow your head off. It's really thick and nearly spreadable. Almost like a fine relish.

It used to be available at Highland Park, but now I can only get it on line.

Reaction Score
As a general hot sauce, I like Tapatío. Most of the others here are great, too. I keep moving up in spice tolerance, so who knows what my next favorite will be.

Anything, really, except Tabasco, which I think is trash.
Regular Tabasco sucks but some of their other flavors including Chipotle are really good

Reaction Score
Regular Tabasco sucks but some of their other flavors including Chipotle are really good
Agreed. Regular tabasco just tastes like hot water vinegar and some of the other flavors are good.

Reaction Score
Iguana XXX Atomic Hot Sauce. It's a habanero based hot sauce, so its spicy, but it won't blow your head off. It's really thick and nearly spreadable. Almost like a fine relish.

It used to be available at Highland Park, but now I can only get it on line.
If you like spreads and thicker style hot sauces that you can use like a dipping sauce, Valentina is really good. I use it on french fries, hot dogs, etc

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I'm a simple man. I like the cayenne stuff: Frank's, Crystal, Texas Pete, Red Devil. They all pretty much taste the same, although fans of one or the other will say I'm crazy.

Cholula's OK. Tapatio's better. I hate Tabasco. I hate that Tabasco is the standard. Why???

Sriracha has its place. I like Gochujang more. (I make this sauce for stir fry that uses gochujang and yuzu kosho -- it's fracking dynamite.)

I wish Chipotle would bottle their hot sauce (the spicy red one).

We probably have 30 different bottles of stuff but I end up using Frank's 90% of the time.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sweet Baby Ray's make a hot sauce that is good on wings or for dipping.

Like the Tabasco Chipotle.

Do not like Frank's.

Cholula's is solid. Real good on eggs for breakfast.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Cholula or Tabasco Chipotle are standard and delicious.

Sam & Oliver hot sauces are CT made and I especially like their habanero sauce “Cinder”.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
The "orange sauce" is not hot, but is addictive and spicy.
La Vic's
One of the best burritos in the state, which something.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
I like a lot of different hot sauces. I tend to either love or hate a hot sauce. I prefer something with flavor, not just heat. Underrated, in my opinion, is TraderJoe's hot sauces (habenero (very hot) and jalapeno (tabascoish, but not as thin)). I also like the frequently mentioned Cholula and El Yucateco which they have at my local mediocre Mexican joint.

The key for me is to have different sauces for different cuisine. I love Sriracha on Asian inspired dishes and grilled meat, but not Mexican. Similarly, I love a smokey (chipotle, or I have a chocolate habanero that is like hot mole), but not on Asian foods. I think mustard-based hot sauces have more potential than has been developed.
The weird thing is many, and I mean 75%+, of the multitude of good Mexican places out here have Sriracha on the table. I don't get it either, but it's what it is. The places I go, I usually get the house mole or other sauce and rarely use anything else.

Reaction Score
I too have made my own the last couple years. Easy and delicious. Also made my own chipotles this year and made a bunch in adobo sauce.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom