OT: - Favorite Hip Hop Artist | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite Hip Hop Artist

Reaction Score
My dad is in the same boat as you, literally all the same. If you are willing, you should really listen to Joey Bada$$. I know the name is ignorant, but besides Kendrick and Cole, he is my favorite rapper. He has the boom bap of the late 80's and 90's, and his lyrics are really articulate for a kid that just turned 22. He definitely can compare to rappers like BDK, Tupac and Nas in a lyrical sense. Listen to his mixtape 1999 and you would think it came out in the early 90's.

Joey is that dude. Hope he stays in his lane and doesn't get sucked into what radio and record execs want

Reaction Score
I can't list them all. I'm less a fan of artists than I am of tracks. For example, I love some of Nas and hate some of it. Love some Kanye (MDTF was epic IMO) but can't even listen to some of his other stuff. Even Snoop - as good as he was, I don't feel a lot of his newer stuff.

Getting to meet Wiz Khalifa when he was coming up was very cool - obvious he was going to be a star.

The best hip hop album for me? Art of Life by Charon Don. Only knew of him because DJ Huggy was part of Wiz's crew when he came up from Pittsburgh and I got to meet him. Do yourself a favor and check this album out - pretty much start to finish. Charon Don kills it.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
C' mon man. I've heard of this dude, but never heard him until now. Is he sending Ghostface monthly checks?

haha he probably should

Reaction Score
Joey is that dude. Hope he stays in his lane and doesn't get sucked into what radio and record execs want

If that happens, it is only because he took money from the label and they want to make a profit on their investment. You can do anything you want, if you don't do it with someone else's money.

Radio is only an issue to the extent it is a vehicle for the label and the artist to make more money - radio doesn't demand anything of anyone.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Just thought of Digable Planets. Haven't listened to them in 20+ years.

Oh and the -Schnickens La Schmoove
Black Sheep - Flavor of the Month.

Funny thinking of those tracks now

Reaction Score
Haven't followed hip-hop in over a decade but Nas is my favorite individual artist. Illmatic will always been a notch above anything else in the genre. De La Soul is my favorite group, 3 Feet High and Rising never gets the love it deserves.

This is old school hip hop perfection...

Besides the usual suspects, some others that I didn't see mentioned... OC, Black Moon, Smif N Wessun, Digable Planets, Showbiz & AG. The mid 90s was such an absurd time for rap. I know what Spotify playlist I'll be listening to for the rest of the afternoon.

I noticed the Nets were playing Tried by 12 during one of their games this year and did one hell of a double take. Hadn't heard that song in probably 15 years.

Some random goodness...

East Flatbush Project - Tried By 12 (Dirty) ''Original Version'' + Lyrics ! '

O.C. - Born 2 Live

Black Moon - I Got Cha Opin (Remix)

Smif-N-Wessun - Bucktown (Original Video)

Digable Planets - Nickel Bag

Showbiz & A.G. - Next Level

Curiouser
Reaction Score

I really liked Digable Planets and Arrested Development. I thought they were the future of hip hop and had great, positive messages. But then the Gangsta Rap influence won out and they went the way of the dodo.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I really liked Digable Planets and Arrested Development. I thought they were the future of hip hop and had great, positive messages. But then the Gangsta Rap influence won out and they went the way of the dodo.

Yeah there was still that off shoot w the Fugees and later Lauren Hill solo. I viewed all these as a continuation of earlier hip hop,which started as message from the streets (The Message etc al}. Not necessarily the future.

Music took a turn in general, from the angsty grunge period, to cheesier flash like Britney Spears and limp bizkit. . Similarly, hip hop went from 'roots' to bling.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Basketball fact: The lead guy of Digable Planets played guard at Umass briefly. I don't know if he played for Cal. 1987-88

Reaction Score
Basketball fact: The lead guy of Digable Planets played guard at Umass briefly. I don't know if he played for Cal. 1987-88

According to the Interwebz...

"He averaged 3.8 ppg and 2 rpg in John Calipari's first season as UMass coach in 1988-89."

intlzncster

Reaction Score
According to the Interwebz...

"He averaged 3.8 ppg and 2 rpg in John Calipari's first season as UMass coach in 1988-89."

Beats out Shamon Tooles and Ace. UMASS has one thing on UCONN. I'll take our side of the ledger.

Reaction Score
Strictly old school for me: Biggie, Beastie Boys, Jurassic 5, A Tribe Called Quest. If G. Love & Special Sauce qualifies, him too.
So with you and so old, going to add 3rd Base, De La Soul ,NAS and Public Enemy. For straight fun by Naure , not cause I hate ya.

Reaction Score

Didn't like Digable Planets, but loved LaSchmoove. Black Sheep:The Choice Is Yours is one of my all time favorites. Great video too.

Reaction Score
Was just chiming in here to add big K.r.i.t. One of my favorite southern artists right now. He's legit.

Another Mississippi artist who I enjoy is tito Lopez.

Scarface is always getting slept on.

Enjoy curren$y but he's def not a beast on the mic.

Wish little brother was still together

Reaction Score
Apathy another good ct artist. Chris webby cool too

Webby, haven't thought of him in a while. My friends knew him from GFA and we would buy weed from him on occasion. I remember in HS he battle rapped some random kid from Norwalk at a diner and got destroyed. I haven't listened to him in a few years but he was always improving and became a good rapper and I am very happy for him. I forgot about the kid while I was in college and was blown away when I saw him on a track with Joell Ortiz.

An album that I have been giving a listen to today is Legal Hustle by Cormega. Cormega is just underrated in general. Ghostface has a great verse on the track Tony Montana and I loved the tune Beautiful Mind. This was the first time I actually heard this Isaac Hayes song sampled and now I realize half of the industry has sampled it (Ike's Mood) including Nas, Beenie Sigel, Royce, even Biz Markie.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom